IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Using the Macrium Reflect Data Retrieval Feature

Maxxwire

Last week I tried out a very powerful program called nCleaner and although it did a very thorough job it cleaned out a year's worth of stats from the Log File of my Bandwidth Meter Pro and I looked to Macrium Reflect to retrieve that original Log File.

In the first attachment below Macrium Reflect offers "Browse an Image or Backup File in Windows Explorer" so I chose an Image that had the file I needed to replace and Reflect very easily allowed me to assign it drive letter R and I then opened it in Windows Explorer as seen in the 2nd attachment.

Next I just followed the file path to the Log File and sent a copy to an intermediate external drive for holding until I could detach the Image, transfer the just retrieved original Log file to the working Bandwidth Meter Pro Log file location, delete the current Log File and leave the retrieved original Log File with all the stats from the last year as the new current Log File and now I'm good to go!

I want to thank garybear for bringing up this most useful feature in Macrium Reflect a while back. I didn't see much use for it until I accidently lost this valuable information recently and needed to get it back.

~Maxx~

Hi maxx thank you for your kind words.

Hi Maxx. Thank you once more for your kind words. I would be very happy to have the computer knowledge you have. I will never achieve your level of wisdom of the PC my friend. I am glad that I could introduce you to Macrium and very glad you have had so much success with the program. I also tried ncleaner and found it to harsh for me.(" I want to thank garybear for bringing up this most useful feature in Macrium Reflect a while back. I didn't see much use for it until I accidently lost this valuable information recently and needed to get it back.")

It's a good cleaner but not for those who chose not to back up their OS. I was wondering my friend if you could have found your file and copied and pasted it to your OS. I once copied and pasted an entire back up image to another drive. I deleted a file and then found that file in a backup image, copied and pasted that file back on my OS. I did that just to see if I could. Do you think that would have worked for you? I think I understand how you did it also; but was wondering if my way would work? ---Gary

garybear- I first copied the Log File that I was looking for to my Seagate 1.5 GB external drive where the original transfer copy still resides so that I would have a handy backup of the backup before copying the Log File to its final destination in the Bandwidth Meter Pro folder just in case I might need even quicker access to the file again in the future for backup purposes.

~Maxx~

garybear- I went back into Macrium Reflect to retrieve the Bandwidth Meter Pro Log File from an even more recent backup and I found that when the Backup Image is attached in Windows Explorer it can only read that Image (labeled R in this case) and I could find no way to transfer the Log File directly to the BWM Pro file running in the C drive (see 1st Attachment).

The 2nd Attachment shows how the C drive is once again accessible for file transfer from the external drive after the R Image Drive is detached from Windows Explorer.

You said that you had..."Copied and pasted an entire back up image to another drive and then found that file in a backup image, copied and pasted that file back on my OS". Both methods are workable, but the ingenious method where Reflect allows you to simply attach the Backup Image to Windows Explorer and then select and transfer nothing but the file you're looking for saves the time of having to copy the entire Image to the Main drive.

~Maxx~

garybear- I went back into Macrium Reflect to retrieve the Bandwidth Meter Pro Log File from an even more recent backup and I found that when the Backup Image is attached in Windows Explorer it can only read that Image (labeled R in this case) and I could find no way to transfer the Log File directly to the BWM Pro file running in the C drive (see 1st Attachment).

The 2nd Attachment shows how the C drive is once again accessible for file transfer from the external drive after the R Image Drive is detached from Windows Explorer.

You said that you had..."Copied and pasted an entire back up image to another drive and then found that file in a backup image, copied and pasted that file back on my OS". Both methods are workable, but the ingenious method where Reflect allows you to simply attach the Backup Image to Windows Explorer and then select and transfer nothing but the file you're looking for saves the time of having to copy the entire Image to the Main drive.

~Maxx~

Hi maxx. What I'm saying is that you can copy and paste from the drive created by Macrium in Windows Explorer. In my screen prints I have found Ccleaner. I copy it and then open my OS (C drive) and paste it there. Since it is already there It asks if I want to replace it. If it was not working the way I wanted I would replace it. I have done this before and it works . Read only means you can't change or delete but you can copy and paste just like you do on your C drive. The way you did it is ok also. I'm just telling you the way I do it. I think you can do this, one at a time, on any thing in the image. I'm sorry that I have such a hard time explaining things. --gary PS ( I )drive is the drive Macrium assigned To Windows Explorer. I find what ever I want and copy and paste to my C drive. It works for me.

garybear- Its such a comforting feeling to know that any and all of the files in a Macrium Reflect Image Backup are readily available and accessible at a moments notice. It looks like there are 2 ways to attach a Backup Image in Reflect 1) through the GUI as I did or 2) by going directly to the Backup Image as you have done as the attachment shows. This is this what you were saying, right?

Thanks for the tip on how to copy directly to the C drive although I prefer to keep all of my data on my Seagate 1.5 TB external drive where a copy of the Bandwidth Meter Pro Log File now resides along with 258 GB of other information leaving the C drive with only Windows and 2.12 GB of programs on it.

~Maxx~

Hi Maxx

garybear- Its such a comforting feeling to know that any and all of the files in a Macrium Reflect Image Backup are readily available and accessible at a moments notice. It looks like there are 2 ways to attach a Backup Image in Reflect 1) through the GUI as I did or 2) by going directly to the Backup Image as you have done as the attachment shows. This is this what you were saying, right?

Thanks for the tip on how to copy directly to the C drive although I prefer to keep all of my data on my Seagate 1.5 TB external drive where a copy of the Bandwidth Meter Pro Log File now resides along with 258 GB of other information leaving the C drive with only Windows and 2.12 GB of programs on it.

~Maxx~

Hi maxx. That's why they call it a PC(Personal Computer).:mrgreen:PS I'm a simple man and have a simple PC. To old for all the fancy stuff. I like learning new stuff but the old brain only holds a little at a time. Sounds like you have it down to an art, good for you friend. Love my Macrium Reflect.---gary

garybear- Its not so much an Art, but Vista survival skills that have led me to run my computer the way . You are very fortunate to have XP and I say this because I have had to learn to live with the intricacies of my computer which I had to do a System Restore on twice during the first 7 months that I owned it in which I lost all of the personal data and programs on the hard drive simply because the computer could not come out of hibernation properly every time and to this day for some unknown reason it refuses to complete a system restore. Its not the Vista Operating System's fault its just the peculiar way that this particular computer functions.

Then 2 months ago you came to the rescue and introduced me to Macrium Reflect which has now flawlessly reimaged my computer twice and there is no way that I could possibly thank you enough for saving me all of the 100's of hours I would have had to spend manually restoring my computer to its current state. Your simple advice provided the perfect remedy for what was for me a very complex and potentially ruinous problem that manifest itself only 2 weeks later! Thank you my friend for keeping me from hitting the windshield!

~Maxx~

Hi Maxx

garybear- Its not so much an Art, but Vista survival skills that have led me to run my computer the way . You are very fortunate to have XP and I say this because I have had to learn to live with the intricacies of my computer which I had to do a System Restore on twice during the first 7 months that I owned it in which I lost all of the personal data and programs on the hard drive simply because the computer could not come out of hibernation properly every time and to this day for some unknown reason it refuses to complete a system restore. Its not the Vista Operating System's fault its just the peculiar way that this particular computer functions.

Then 2 months ago you came to the rescue and introduced me to Macrium Reflect which has now flawlessly reimaged my computer twice and there is no way that I could possibly thank you enough for saving me all of the 100's of hours I would have had to spend manually restoring my computer to its current state. Your simple advice provided the perfect remedy for what was for me a very complex and potentially ruinous problem that manifest itself only 2 weeks later! Thank you my friend for keeping me from hitting the windshield!

~Maxx~

Hi Maxx. You are more than welcome. Thank you for being my friend and I'm glad you are the wind shield and not the bug.---gary

garybear- In a very real way by introducing me to the security of Macrium Reflect you have given me a protective windshield to work with while I simplified and streamlined my computer with a very lightweight and highly effective 20 MB combination of computer security software programs that has been keeping my computer so clean that a recent full set of scans using 4 on demand scanners yielded not so much as a single tracking cookie. You have opened up a whole new array of possibilities for me which did not exist before I had Macrium Reflect as my protective windshield preventing any permanent harm from happening to my computer...

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr44/Maxxwire_Photos/Album%202/GBGuyAnim.gif

~Maxx~

Archived