IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

How is Auto Defrag Started

I started using Smart Defrag a few days ago and have not discovered the rule for starting Auto Defrag. I have used setting on one minute and 0-100% resource use and Auto Defrag seems to come on at odd times that do not correlate with the criteria set down. It does come on and defrags well but there must be some other rule or rules at work. For example, does it wait a certain amount of time after the last defrag?

Hi J Walker

Please send some screenshots of your settings when you have read where the link in my signature takes you :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

I started using Smart Defrag a few days ago and have not discovered the rule for starting Auto Defrag. I have used setting on one minute and 0-100% resource use and Auto Defrag seems to come on at odd times that do not correlate with the criteria set down. It does come on and defrags well but there must be some other rule or rules at work. For example, does it wait a certain amount of time after the last defrag?

Hi J Walker

Please send some screenshots of your settings when you have read where the link in my signature takes you :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

All I found was your email address and I got the message that you did not wish to receive emails. A PM cannot attach a screenshot. I must be dense.

Hi J Walker,

You can attach your screenshots directly to these posts when posting here.

Click the Go Advanced button when you are posting and, you will see that there is an option for Manage Attachments as a button down the page, where you can upload from your PC or from a URL. (Please note the maximum allowable file sizes for different file extentions.)

An example is as below.

Cheers.

Hi J Walker,

It is not relevant to Automatic defragmentation, but it seems that you have much less free space than %15 on your drive. For defragmentation to be effective, it needs that at least %15 of the drive to be empty.

Also, I couldn't understand from your screenshots which version of Smart Defrag you are using!!!

1.20 or 1.30?

Cheers.

Thank you Walker

The first thing that comes to mind looking at the screenshots is that it does not seem like you have very much free space.

The disk usually needs at least 15% free space.

How do you determine free time?

Do you have many things running automatically on your computer?

You have chosen that it should start after 5 minuts of idle time.

Could be ok, but you have the opportunity to try another settings.

And you have chosen it to stop if it exceeds 60% cpu usage.

Any specific reason for that?

Cheers

solbjerg

I have attached screen shots of the configuration I have been using. After a period on inactivity Auto Defrag does not come on. Periodically it doe come on. I am wondering what triggers it. There is plenty of computer idle time.

Thanks for the replies. One more screenshot shows a report from an analysis. You can see that the version is 1.20, and the free space is around 22%. I have several applications running and minimized. They are idle in the sense that the CPU and disk usage is very low. Still there could be something that signals activity and the computer may not be considered idle. I can not characterize the length of time before the Auto Defrag begins to work. It can be several hours or less.

On edit I added the attachment. I goofed on the first and second attempt.

Hi Walker

Please try updating to version 1.30!

This link shows some tests I did some time ago:

http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?t=2247&highlight=attachment

My signature is what is at the bottom of this post

太阳山 (solbjerg)

Ceterum censeo Usage of IObit Products esse legendum

(Futhermore I think that Usage of IObit Products must be read)

Cheers

solbjerg

Thanks for the replies. One more screenshot shows a report from an analysis. You can see that the version is 1.20, and the free space is around 22%. I have several applications running and minimized. They are idle in the sense that the CPU and disk usage is very low. Still there could be something that signals activity and the computer may not be considered idle. I can not characterize the length of time before the Auto Defrag begins to work. It can be several hours or less.

I downloaded version 1.3. I just downloaded Smart Defrag version 1.2 a few days ago and didn't think there was a newer version. Solbjerg I found your signature finally and it leads to some helpful threads. One post said that if there were few fragmented files Smart Defrag waits 4-5 hours to Auto Defrag. It looks like Smart Defrag is running normally for me. Many thanks for the help.

Hi Walker

Thanks for your feedback

The thread Think about Defragmentation!!! in the Lounge section is also a recommended read :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

I downloaded version 1.3. I just downloaded Smart Defrag version 1.2 a few days ago and didn't think there was a newer version. Solbjerg I found your signature finally and it leads to some helpful threads. One post said that if there were few fragmented files Smart Defrag waits 4-5 hours to Auto Defrag. It looks like Smart Defrag is running normally for me. Many thanks for the help.

Archived