IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Currently defragged file delayed display ?

Hi,

I'd like a confirmation about this excellent defragmentation software :

it seems to me that the file that is being written (purple square on the display) is not the one whose name is indicated above the map.

Because very often the size of the indicated file doesn't match the number of purple squares. It would rather correspond the the file that has just been defragged.

Is this right ?

Thanks.

Hi Merle

How are you able to determine which fragment (I call them red - purple is any color between red and violet in my opinion :-) ) that are being moved belongs where?

My understanding is that it is defragging and optimizing the file shown in the progress line and in the course of that endeavor is finding fragments from all over and placing them where they belong (that is together with the "parent" file, and placing that file according to how often it is used and perhaps other parameters as well - importance perhaps?

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi,

I'd like a confirmation about this excellent defragmentation software :

it seems to me that the file that is being written (purple square on the display) is not the one whose name is indicated above the map.

Because very often the size of the indicated file doesn't match the number of purple squares. It would rather correspond the the file that has just been defragged.

Is this right ?

Thanks.

Hi Merle

How are you able to determine which fragment (I call them red - purple is any color between red and violet in my opinion :-) ) that are being moved belongs where?

My understanding is that it is defragging and optimizing the file shown in the progress line and in the course of that endeavor is finding fragments from all over and placing them where they belong (that is together with the "parent" file, and placing that file according to how often it is used and perhaps other parameters as well - importance perhaps?

Cheers

solbjerg

Sometimes, I see a file being written (a set of several purple squares), and the displayed file in the progress has a very small size, but the number of displayed squares being written show it's a large file.

Hi Merle

I don't think that there is a one to one commensurability between files and squares in the picture.

There are only 1000-1100 squares - and there are many more files and there can be many many more fragments.

Cheers

solbjerg

Sometimes, I see a file being written (a set of several purple squares), and the displayed file in the progress has a very small size, but the number of displayed squares being written show it's a large file.

Here is an example that shows what I mean :

[ATTACH]2867[/ATTACH]

When I captured the windows, a big new file "foo.zip", currently represented by the red squares, is being defragged to another location (see purple squares). But the progress display just show "F:\", it should be "foo.zip".

This has be so since the first version and really I don't see why. I really think SmartDefrag could be even better if the progress display could be synchronized with the "moving to" purple squares display.

Hi Merle

I think the progress bar shows the list of directories that are currently being checked for fragmentation.

By me I have 7082 indexes each holding 4 KB to every allocation unit.

277232 KB in use by the system

65536 KB in use by the log file.

In all my C: drive holds approximately 60 GB of these >60% is free space, - in my case every square should represent around 60 MB - that will usually be a lot of files. :-)

I still only have around 1000 squares in the window to depict the situation.

So in my view there must be some hidden parameters to the showing of the legend.

Your screenshot shows in the progress line that it is currently checking your F: drive

(what is that by the way), the violet squares shows what clusters/fragments/squares in the window that are being moved. If they have anything directly to do with the red squares/fragments I do not know.

How do you determine what files are being moved?

You have a lot of immovables? And not very much free space it seems?

Cheers

solbjerg

Here is an example that shows what I mean :

[ATTACH]2867[/ATTACH]

When I captured the windows, a big new file "foo.zip", currently represented by the red squares, is being defragged to another location (see purple squares). But the progress display just show "F:\", it should be "foo.zip".

This has be so since the first version and really I don't see why. I really think SmartDefrag could be even better if the progress display could be synchronized with the "moving to" purple squares display.

Hi solbjerg, it also seems that ASC is not used, and unless another similar product is used, there may be a lot of junk files, and System Restore Points.:smile:

Cheers.

Nope, just big files : I have set of limit of 500MB above with files are not defragged. And SR is disabled on my system.

Regarding <solbjerg> last comment, I'll try to answer it later but I can just tell that I stand by my interpretation and would very much like to have a SmartDefrag developer to comment on this !

BTW, I like Denmark a lot !!!

Please see my comments within your post below.

Hi Merle

I think the progress bar shows the list of directories that are currently being checked for fragmentation.

MerleOne : no, folders and files are shown there, depending on what is being moved or defragged.

By me I have 7082 indexes each holding 4 KB to every allocation unit.

277232 KB in use by the system

65536 KB in use by the log file.

In all my C: drive holds approximately 60 GB of these >60% is free space, - in my case every square should represent around 60 MB - that will usually be a lot of files. :-)

I still only have around 1000 squares in the window to depict the situation.

So in my view there must be some hidden parameters to the showing of the legend.

Your screenshot shows in the progress line that it is currently checking your F: drive

MerleOne> this is just a snapshot, but in the whole process it starts by F: then other filenames are displayed.

(what is that by the way), the violet squares shows what clusters/fragments/squares in the window that are being moved. If they have anything directly to do with the red squares/fragments I do not know.

MerleOne> I do : the drive was fully defragmented before I created a big fragmented file, the red squares are just the fragmented file (the source) and the purple the destination for the file.

How do you determine what files are being moved?

MerleOne> Because there is only one that has to be defragged.

You have a lot of immovables? And not very much free space it seems?

Cheers

MerleOne> Yep, my HDD always get filled up too early...

solbjerg

Now you may still no see what I mean. I am OK with that, I would just like to have other member opinion on this. Thanks !

Archived