IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

File won't defrag

Hi rustafarry

What file is that? A bit more information would be welcomed :-)

Amount of free space in percentage please, OS, settings in the program, a couple of screenshots perhaps. :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

I have a file that will not defrag. I have tried repeatedly to do so and come up with the same result. What should I do? I thought that Smart Defrag could do anything but you are up against a tough one this time.

• 2 months later...

Not Enough Space

Hi rustafarry

What file is that? A bit more information would be welcomed :-)

Amount of free space in percentage please, OS, settings in the program, a couple of screenshots perhaps. :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi. i would like to add to this thread as follows:

I have an Outlook.pst file that will not defrag... It is about 4.43 Gb, has about 19,658 fragments now, increased from about 5,634 fragments a couple of months ago. Windows XP OS. MS Office 2007, Smart Defrag v 1.45 . this fragmentation problem is worsening with time.

System disk is 145 Gb with about 91.2 Gb of used space, about 54.3 Gb free space. 34.4% is free space.

Please advise what my problem is with this one file, it is the only file that will not defragment. Outlook, no other programs are running when I attempt to defrag. ...I have the "skip files larger than 10Gb" option unchecked.

All other files will complete defragmentation. I notice that my external disk backup of this file is not fragmented.

:?::?:

Please advise any suggestions for a remedy, repair or fix. Thanks very much!

greyfoxx

Hi greyfoxx

What are your setting regarding "Do not defrag files larger than ---"

A possibility is to copy the .pst file to an usb stick - delete it in the folder where it is placed - and then insert it again from the stick into the folder it came from. This procedure should defrag the file.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi. i would like to add to this thread as follows:

I have an Outlook.pst file that will not defrag... It is about 4.43 Gb, has about 19,658 fragments now, increased from about 5,634 fragments a couple of months ago. Windows XP OS. MS Office 2007, Smart Defrag v 1.45 . this fragmentation problem is worsening with time.

System disk is 145 Gb with about 91.2 Gb of used space, about 54.3 Gb free space. 34.4% is free space.

Please advise what my problem is with this one file, it is the only file that will not defragment. Outlook, no other programs are running when I attempt to defrag.

All other files will complete defragmentation. I notice that my external disk backup of this file is not fragmented.

:?::?:

Please advise any suggestions for a remedy, repair or fix. Thanks very much!

greyfoxx

Hi greyfox,

solbjerg's solution is definitive, but, sometimes repetition of checking the checkbox and Applying works in SD.

So, please try more than once checking and unchecking and Applying the checkbox of "Skip files larger than xxGB" and restarting Smart Defrag. Even changing the xxGB value in that course may help.

Cheers.

EDIT: Although you said it is not running, take TheViking's advice and check in Task Manager.

Archived