IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

auto defrag simple question!!!!

hey everyone here first off i just want to say to all the moderators thank you for all the hard work and time you guys put into the forums because ive gotten nothing but honest,reliable and accurate help when i really needed help. again i thank you!!!:mrgreen: my question is can the auto defrag option on smart defrag be used on laptops. i read somewhere but cant remember where i read it they said its not recommend but i trust your advice more. thanks!!:lol: jake

Battery power

my question is can the auto defrag option on smart defrag be used on laptops. i read somewhere but cant remember where i read it they said its not recommend but i trust your advice more. thanks!!:lol: jake

Hi jake :smile:

In regards to a laptop, the most important Smart Defrag setting is in Options and it is to Tick Stop defrag while using battery (Recommended)

Please Tick this option, running out of power during a defrag is not good.

The life of laptops seems to be, Off or Off and charging or On and working so if you use your laptop on battery power almost all the time then Auto Defrag will not happen anyway, so it is best not to Tick the Auto Defrag option.

I have a Netbook and never use Auto Defrag on it, once a week I launch Smart Defrag and do a full defrag while it's plugged into mains power :smile:

All the best, woz of oz

Laptop is more a Desktop

thanks but actually i never take it off battery and if it gets unplugged it has the settings to maximize battery use. so is it ok under under these circumstances?

I think you mean i never take it off mains power ?

If that is the case, then you are using your laptop like it's a Desktop ?

Under those circumstances, whether it is of any benefit to have Auto Defrag enabled or not would also depend on your laptop settings for Standby and Hibernation while on mains power.

If these are set for a long time and you often stop using the laptop but leave it on then Auto Defrag could work for you :smile:

But, please remember to tick the Stop defrag while using battery (Recommended) option :wink:

All the best, woz of oz

Archived