IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Smart Defrag sometimes won't defrag

Hi, I'm a PC repair technician, and I've been using Smart Defrag on my PC an also client PCs for about a year now. I have run into a glitch both on my PC and also on client PCs, both desktops and laptops (thus I know it is not something to do with my setup) - sometimes SD will not defrag the drive. I press "Start" and for a fraction of a second it seems that it is going to start defragging the drive but then it says "Stopping" (I think that is what it says - it only says it for a second, and that is what I remember from a client's laptop last night - he Vista Home Basic, by the way), and then SD finishes, as if it had defragged the drive - obviously it had not (I had just installed a major Service Pack on his laptop, so obviously there was a lot of defragging to do) - in the end, I ran Microsoft's Defragmenter. I've had this same problem occur intermittently on my desktop which runs Win7 - but then I am able to get SD to run at a later date.

What is happening here?

Thanks in advance to anybody that knows. Otherwise, it seems to be a very good product - it definately helps me in my work as a self-employed PC repair technician.

P.S.--Oh, by the way, I always have it set up so that the scheduled defrag is turned off, and under "Options" I have the "Minimize to System Tray" also turned off.

Hi authoriseduser

Concerning the laptop it sounds like it was closing down because it was running on batteries. If you had it plugged in please check the connections.

The desktop I don't know - sounds like a more complex problem.

And I have no experience with windows7 ! Sorry!

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi, I'm a PC repair technician, and I've been using Smart Defrag on my PC an also client PCs for about a year now. I have run into a glitch both on my PC and also on client PCs, both desktops and laptops (thus I know it is not something to do with my setup) - sometimes SD will not defrag the drive. I press "Start" and for a fraction of a second it seems that it is going to start defragging the drive but then it says "Stopping" (I think that is what it says - it only says it for a second, and that is what I remember from a client's laptop last night - he Vista Home Basic, by the way), and then SD finishes, as if it had defragged the drive - obviously it had not (I had just installed a major Service Pack on his laptop, so obviously there was a lot of defragging to do) - in the end, I ran Microsoft's Defragmenter. I've had this same problem occur intermittently on my desktop which runs Win7 - but then I am able to get SD to run at a later date.

What is happening here?

Thanks in advance to anybody that knows. Otherwise, it seems to be a very good product - it definately helps me in my work as a self-employed PC repair technician.

P.S.--Oh, by the way, I always have it set up so that the scheduled defrag is turned off, and under "Options" I have the "Minimize to System Tray" also turned off.

Archived