IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

When sh-t hits the fan!!

luckyvic

It is sad, but it happens, not just with BitDefender. AVG and others (can't recall exactly which and when..) have had similar major issues in the past.

There are ways to recover from this without a format, but affected users need to know where to get help. And it's not an easy operation.

What can we learn from this, as antivirus users ? Look at what your antivirus is detecting, then ask yourself this : "Humm... those look like Windows files, maybe I should research a bit before I allow the AV to suppress them..". Google the files and see what you find. Again, this isn't an option for many users because it requires some basic computer knowledge.

I use Avira here and I have an option to "Deny access", which would allow to see what blocking this "detection" does, rather than quarantine or delete right away. They don't all have that option, sadly.

===

When sh-t hits the fan!!

Yeah, it happened with Avast! not too long ago. Alot people have the settings to delete, where as it's best to have "Quaratine" (in some cases) or "Move to Chest" (Avast!) settings, so one can review the files and best of all is to ask at the forums for help.

Yep. Avast! had something similar happen not too long ago.

"Moving to chest" or quarantining would cause the same issue, when system files are at play though. Once you've moved specific system files out of their location (to chest/quarantine), Windows won't find them and will refuse to run, causing the dreaded blue screen of death (depending on the files targetted of course). If you can just "Deny access", then you'd still have a problem with Windows but you'd at least be able to boot again, following a restart, with no damage done.

One quick solution for those affected would be to reboot into "Last known good configuration", but this only works with one restart of the machine, because the configuration gets renewed with every boot, so you only get one shot.

===

When sh-t hits the fan!!

Yeah, you are correct. Avast! also has options "Ask" or "No Action" and "Repair" (which would not work in this case). So they are choices. I once had something moved to Chest, which in Safe Mode I was able to restore the file. I quess I was lucky (!).

Anyhoo, it's sure is a real mess.

vital Windows files

"scaners,and some apps will do this."class normall files

as malware or even ,virus.and then eliminates them altogether. The demolition,of critical executable files

i posted this before .and its sad that thy the programmers do not allow restoring a file or files..from a jail house.instead of blindly kill them.

has forced many users to re-install their entire operating system

this to has happened to my self.

but now have back up images so in case of this..

its sad when this happens.least to say sometimes a shock..

it pays to be aware ,when updating.and installing.

have that back up image ..

and thank you for posting this.warning..

itsmejjj

Archived