IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

SD done the opposite

Hey, i tryed sd for the first time and the following morning when i checked my c drive my space had gone from 698gb free to 5gb lol.I was only using 233gb of my 931gb hard drive at the time.The only reason i used sd was to compare it to defraggler which i had been using for many yrs.Since then i have defragged my pc 3 times with defraggler and have freed up 121 gb.

Can anyone help me with this please tyvm in advance.

pc spec:

windows vista home premium 64-bit SP2

intel core 2 quad cpu q9400 @ 2.66GHz 2.67GHz

8.0GB RAM

nvidia geforce 9500

Hi Smoggie

Perhaps this outlandish/odd result comes from the settings - if you have very large files on your computer and have left the settings to ignore large files?

Try removing the tick in that option - to see if that helps.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hey, i tryed sd for the first time and the following morning when i checked my c drive my space had gone from 698gb free to 5gb lol.I was only using 233gb of my 931gb hard drive at the time.The only reason i used sd was to compare it to defraggler which i had been using for many yrs.Since then i have defragged my pc 3 times with defraggler and have freed up 121 gb.

Can anyone help me with this please tyvm in advance.

pc spec:

windows vista home premium 64-bit SP2

intel core 2 quad cpu q9400 @ 2.66GHz 2.67GHz

8.0GB RAM

nvidia geforce 9500

Hey Solbjerg and tyvm for your response.I have checked the settings for SD and the skip the larger files box is unchecked.I also have analyzed my c drive again with SD and it suggested 41 files are in need of a defrag, so i put the files in order from biggest to smallest lol and one of the files is 642.46GB called rld-qos.iso and ive tryed to find that file and i cannot locate it.SD says the file is in c:\$Recycle.Bin.

I am a pc novice and really dont know what step to take now, im thinking wether to defrag again with sd or take my pc to a tech shop lol cause i wouldnt know what else to do.If any1 can suggest anyting then plzzz do,tyvm in advance.

P.S. once i find out how to take a screen shot and locate it i will upload one

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=N0BG0CIG

The suggested files had changed when i had done that screenshot as u can see from 41, to what it is in that sceenie^^, but the main one that is chokeing up my pc still remains.I have found out it is from a reloaded torrent for the game quantum of solice which i tryed with no complications about 1 yr ago and i thought it had been deleted from pc when i was finished with it.

Hi Smoggie

Rld can mean Recieved line detect

Qos can mean quality of service

iso can mean Independent System Operator or International Standards Organization

You must have a very large harddisk if you can leave almost 643 GB in your Recycle bin - what are your settings for your recycle bin?

(right click the recycle bin and choose properties - you see a slide you can move to the desired percentage)

I think I would try the build-in disk cleaner in Windows first

Click My computer/right-click C: - choose Properties and and hit the button disk-cleaning / wait for the result of this/ and then select the items you want to clean and click OK.

Let's see if that helps - if you want to know what to clean out then please ask again.

Please read all of Usage of IObit Products (link in my signature) thread

Cheers

solbjerg

Hey Solbjerg and tyvm for your response.I have checked the settings for SD and the skip the larger files box is unchecked.I also have analyzed my c drive again with SD and it suggested 41 files are in need of a defrag, so i put the files in order from biggest to smallest lol and one of the files is 642.46GB called rld-qos.iso and ive tryed to find that file and i cannot locate it.SD says the file is in c:\$Recycle.Bin.

I am a pc novice and really dont know what step to take now, im thinking wether to defrag again with sd or take my pc to a tech shop lol cause i wouldnt know what else to do.If any1 can suggest anyting then plzzz do,tyvm in advance.

P.S. once i find out how to take a screen shot and locate it i will upload one

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=N0BG0CIG

The suggested files had changed when i had done that screenshot as u can see from 41, to what it is in that sceenie^^, but the main one that is chokeing up my pc still remains.I have found out it is from a reloaded torrent for the game quantum of solice which i tryed with no complications about 1 yr ago and i thought it had been deleted from pc when i was finished with it.

Tyvm once again for your response.

Yes i do have a rather large hard disk space of 931GB,ive just tryed the disk clean up and it deleted less than 1GB of my c drive not really changing anything.My recycle bin properties has one tab called "General" and under the tab it has "Settings for selected location" and my custom size box is checked with a max size of 49741mb, since this is just a custom size of my recycle bin i can change it. The only thing that has cleared space up to now is defraggler but its not freeing up all the space i should have available, ive tryed the built in defrag once with no results and tryed the built in disk cleaner a phew times now with it freeing up less than 1gb. lol So what shall i do next, i tryed to search for the file name and location but both of them cannot be found on my pc, like they do not exist.Shall i try SD again? or take it to the shop?

If anyone knows a solution plzz say muchly appriciated, tyvm in advance

Hi Smoggie

I think I would try a chkdsk first and then a sfc /scannow

I forgot that you use Vista - and responded as if it was XP - sorry, but I do not really know Vista or Windows 7, so perhaps someone else is better at trying to help you.

Good luck!!

Cheers

solbjerg

Tyvm once again for your response.

Yes i do have a rather large hard disk space of 931GB,ive just tryed the disk clean up and it deleted less than 1GB of my c drive not really changing anything.My recycle bin properties has one tab called "General" and under the tab it has "Settings for selected location" and my custom size box is checked with a max size of 49741mb, since this is just a custom size of my recycle bin i can change it. The only thing that has cleared space up to now is defraggler but its not freeing up all the space i should have available, ive tryed the built in defrag once with no results and tryed the built in disk cleaner a phew times now with it freeing up less than 1gb. lol So what shall i do next, i tryed to search for the file name and location but both of them cannot be found on my pc, like they do not exist.Shall i try SD again? or take it to the shop?

If anyone knows a solution plzz say muchly appriciated, tyvm in advance

Hi Smoggie1,

Try this:

Restart in DOS or boot to a command prompt and enter. Copy from below and paste it to notepad, so becareful about the spaces after Deltree, /, and y.

Deltree / y C:\recycle This will completely delete the recycle bin including all files.

Windows will recreate it on the next boot.

Vista:

-Select Safe Mode with Command Prompt and press Enter.

-When you boot into the command prompt, type deltree /y C:\recycled and press Enter. (In some cases you will need to type deltree /y recycled instead.)

-Type exit and press Enter.

-When you boot back to Vista, the Recyle Bin will be rebuilt automatically.

IF THAT DOESN'T WORK:

-Open Folder Options.

-Choose Show hidden files and folders and unhide protected operating system files.

-Open the Start Menu.

-Click on Computer.

-Click on the C:\ drive, or the one with Vista.

-Right click on $RECYCLE.BIN folder and click Delete.

-Answer Yes, OK, Continue to many confirmation prompts.

-It will then automatically create a new one for you afterwards. You may need to press F5 to refresh the window to see the new one.

-Then restart the computer, so it will create a new one for you.

Cheers.

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot it, because I use hidden files all shown as solbjerg does, but it is advisable for you to change the settings in Folder Options to your default settings, so the unhidden and protected files will not be deleted by mistake.

Tyvm Enoskype for your response.I guessing this could be luck on my part lol but the first two options you suggested i really didnt understand them and didnt want to attempt them incase i made things worse for myself.So i give a shot at the 3rd option where i had to look in the folder options and do a phew other things and i can not believe it, it WORKED!!! :) xD... pardon my excitment but i had already booked a place for my pc in a tech shop for it to be gutted out and fixed lol.I really dont know what else to say but i bow to ur feet for the help you have given me and also to the rest of your team who have helped me.You have saved my pc and atleast £30 in maintenace fees for me xD.

I havnt done anyting else at this moment appart from everything you have said and i dont want to do anyting just incase i undo what you hav done.So im curious in what i should do with this part of what you said now its fixed."Choose Show hidden files and folders and unhide protected operating system files" Do i leave that as it is now like you said or do i go back to how that was.So that would be to uncheck the show hidden files and hide the protected system files.TYVM Enoskype and Solbjerg :-) :-P :razz:

Hi Smoggie

Glad to hear the issue is solved.

Good call enoskype to refresh the recycle bin !! :-)

As for the "show hidden files" and "unhide protected system files" -

I have those two options activated all the time and if you aren't one of those that unmindfully click on anything in sight (your posts suggests that you are not :-) ) and if no other user of the aforementioned ilk is using your computer - you can just leave those settings - on the other hand you can also revert to the default settings - now that you know how to change them

Cheers

solbjerg

Tyvm Enoskype for your response.I guessing this could be luck on my part lol but the first two options you suggested i really didnt understand them and didnt want to attempt them incase i made things worse for myself.So i give a shot at the 3rd option where i had to look in the folder options and do a phew other things and i can not believe it, it WORKED!!! :) xD... pardon my excitment but i had already booked a place for my pc in a tech shop for it to be gutted out and fixed lol.I really dont know what else to say but i bow to ur feet for the help you have given me and also to the rest of your team who have helped me.You have saved my pc and atleast £30 in maintenace fees for me xD.

I havnt done anyting else at this moment appart from everything you have said and i dont want to do anyting just incase i undo what you hav done.So im curious in what i should do with this part of what you said now its fixed."Choose Show hidden files and folders and unhide protected operating system files" Do i leave that as it is now like you said or do i go back to how that was.So that would be to uncheck the show hidden files and hide the protected system files.TYVM Enoskype and Solbjerg :-) :-P :razz:

Ok Smoggie

Welcome, and feel free to pose more problems you may run into :-)

My general advice is to read Usage of IObit Products and Thinking about Defragmentation.

But you seem like a nice addition to the members of the forum.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hey Solbjerg, i think i will leave my settings as they are for now.Really cant say ty enough to yourself and the IObit team for your time, gr8 work and gr8 products..TYVM again and take care all

Archived