IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Smart Defrag 1.45 sometimes freezes

Hi!

I installed Smart Defrag 1.45 about a week ago. Every now and then when I go to analyze/defrag, the software does not respond. I can't even close the window. The only way to get the window to close and have Smart Defrag work again is to reboot my computer. I have Windows Vista with F-Secure Security suite along with Registry Mechanic.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? ( I searched the site but many of the comments were dated and for an earlier release)

Thanks.

Hi gkn and KOR

I use XP sp3

Both manual, automatic and scheduled defrag work by me - I don't normally use automatic nor scheduled defrag, but have tested the functions and found no faults.

One thing though - in the latest versions I have noticed that you need to have SmartDefrag in the StartUp list otherwise there is a several seconds delay in the response time of the program. (feels like at least 30 seconds) :-) (have not tested the delay time - so I have no definite time of delay)

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. You could try right clicking the shortcut and choose "Boost with ASC" - it may work?

Hi!

I installed Smart Defrag 1.45 about a week ago. Every now and then when I go to analyze/defrag, the software does not respond. I can't even close the window. The only way to get the window to close and have Smart Defrag work again is to reboot my computer. I have Windows Vista with F-Secure Security suite along with Registry Mechanic.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? ( I searched the site but many of the comments were dated and for an earlier release)

Thanks.

To Kor, Solbjerg:

Thanks for the feedback....it happened to me again. After I rebooted this AM, I changed the settings to stop 'auto defrag'. I'll try this for awhile and see what happens.

Gkn

Just to say, I see no reason to have SD running if I disable 'auto defrag'. If I end up having to disable everything, it makes no sense to me to have it running on startup. If I want to do a manual defrag I can just bring it up as needed and the close it.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding but 'is not the purpose of having SD is to have it running when IT needs to defrag'?

I do believe on some systems it is NOT running properly.

In the past it just loaded up and SD ran when it needed to, now, it will run once only after a boot-up and then it will not respond and seems to go to sleep. The 'analyze' and 'review report' etc. will not open after it has run the one time after reboot.

Just wondering what is going on.

KOR-

Hi Kor

I don't know what is going on by you - are you sure the program is allowed by your firewall as an exception?

As I said I have seen none of the problems you report during my tests of the functions - what settings do you use?

Cheers

solbjerg

Just to say, I see no reason to have SD running if I disable 'auto defrag'. If I end up having to disable everything, it makes no sense to me to have it running on startup. If I want to do a manual defrag I can just bring it up as needed and the close it.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding but 'is not the purpose of having SD is to have it running when IT needs to defrag'?

I do believe on some systems it is NOT running properly.

In the past it just loaded up and SD ran when it needed to, now, it will run once only after a boot-up and then it will not respond and seems to go to sleep. The 'analyze' and 'review report' etc. will not open after it has run the one time after reboot.

Just wondering what is going on.

KOR-

I have all default settings. Firewall allows SD to load up, no problems with firewall.

I only am responding to this thread because others seem to be having the same problem.

I am not complaining, I am just trying to find out why some seem to be having the problem of SD, the problem being that SD only stays active for one defrag and only after a reboot.

I am trying to help myself and others.

KOR-

Hi Kor

We are also trying to help, (I am not employed by IObit - just an ordinary user)

I wonder what you call default settings?

Could you tell me precisely what the settings are?

In order to try to isolate what might be the trouble in your case - this may help other users!

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. have you installed SD as a totally "clean Install"?

I have all default settings. Firewall allows SD to load up, no problems with firewall.

I only am responding to this thread because others seem to be having the same problem.

I am not complaining, I am just trying to find out why some seem to be having the problem of SD, the problem being that SD only stays active for one defrag and only after a reboot.

I am trying to help myself and others.

KOR-

Yes to clean install. Several times I have done 'clean install'.

What is listed in settings as "recommended" are checked.

I refer to default settings as what is called "recommended".

I have enabled 'auto defrag'...auto defrag system volume.

It is checked to come up with a reboot/restart. It does come up and then will do a 'defrag' once and then goes quiet, meaning it does not respond to a click on the start screen. When I would click on defrag only or deep optimize the window does not drop down for me to see 'deep optimize' etc. That is what I refer to as 'goes quiet'.

KOR-

Hi Kor

Attached is my settings

Cheers

solbjerg

Yes to clean install. Several times I have done 'clean install'.

What is listed in settings as "recommended" are checked.

I refer to default settings as what is called "recommended".

I have enabled 'auto defrag'...auto defrag system volume.

It is checked to come up with a reboot/restart. It does come up and then will do a 'defrag' once and then goes quiet, meaning it does not respond to a click on the start screen. When I would click on defrag only or deep optimize the window does not drop down for me to see 'deep optimize' etc. That is what I refer to as 'goes quiet'.

KOR-

OK solbjerg, I will do as you have your settings.

Thank you very much.

KOR-

Just to add: I changed my settings and NOW I do NOT minimize to system tray nor do I have it starting up automatically with system startup.

I clicked on SD after a reboot and it did run once so far but it is now sitting in the task bar and is on task manager and listed as 'running'. Perhaps it can not be minimized to the system tray as that may be where the glitch produces itself with my system.

Hi Kor

Looks promising then? Good!!

Please submit a follow up report so that we can try to pinpoint the setting responsible for your problems for the benefit of other users.

Thank you!

Cheers

solbjerg

OK solbjerg, I will do as you have your settings.

Thank you very much.

KOR-

Just to add: I changed my settings and NOW I do NOT minimize to system tray nor do I have it starting up automatically with system startup.

I clicked on SD after a reboot and it did run once so far but it is now sitting in the task bar and is on task manager and listed as 'running'. Perhaps it can not be minimized to the system tray as that may be where the glitch produces itself with my system.

I am thinking it might be CCleaner. Something that CCleaner cleans out might be causing SD to lose its active response.

Perhaps IObit techs can check out the cleaning tools of CCleaner.

Just a thought but also if the others that are having problems, to check to see if they are using CCleaner.

KOR-

OK, I now think that when I minimize SD to the system tray and then run CCleaner it does something or deletes some file or activity that then makes SD inactive.

I just checked it out and when SD is left sitting in the task bar and then run CCleaner it does NOT make SD inactive.

It must be something with CCleaner.

KOR-

Adding: It is something with the minimizing SD to the system tray. I am not totally convinced that CCleaner is doing it.

Hi Kor

Does Ccleaner have a function that cleans "unused files"?

Keep at it please :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

OK, I now think that when I minimize SD to the system tray and then run CCleaner it does something or deletes some file or activity that then makes SD inactive.

I just checked it out and when SD is left sitting in the task bar and then run CCleaner it does NOT make SD inactive.

It must be something with CCleaner.

KOR-

Adding: It is something with the minimizing SD to the system tray. I am not totally convinced that CCleaner is doing it.

Had to uninstall SD

Hi! Well, after a week or 2 of trying Smart Defrag, this software, for what ever reason, simply would not respond in my attempts to use it, forcing me to have to reboot my PC every time every time I tried. I have removed SD because of this and replaced it with "Auslogics Disk Defrag" which works very well with my computer so far. I have Windows Vista home premium with Registry Mechanic and F-Secure security suite.

I plan to stay as a member of this forum to see if there is a fix for SD. Again, thanks for all those members that commented on their rexperiences with SD 1.45.

It's a shame...

Hi! Well, after a week or 2 of trying Smart Defrag, this software, for what ever reason, simply would not respond in my attempts to use it, forcing me to have to reboot my PC every time every time I tried. I have removed SD because of this and replaced it with "Auslogics Disk Defrag" which works very well with my computer so far. I have Windows Vista home premium with Registry Mechanic and F-Secure security suite.

I plan to stay as a member of this forum to see if there is a fix for SD. Again, thanks for all those members that commented on their rexperiences with SD 1.45.

> I removed SD weeks ago and been runnig Auslogics Disk Defrag with no problems/complaints. SD used to run like that sometime ago. Maybe it will and I'll be glad to make the switch back.

• 1 month later...

Same problem--Smart Defrag won't work from system tray

For the past month or so, Smart Defrag will not work properly if minimized to the system tray (Windows XP). It works fine if simply minimized to the bottom of the screen, but if minimized to the system tray, after a while the defrag options freeze. I can still make changes to "Options" and other elements listed vertically on the left-hand side of the window, but not the drop-down menu with Defrag Only, Fast Optimize and Deep Optimize. The drop-down menu won't drop, and any auto defrag already chosen freezes--until I close the program entirely and restart it--at which time everything works fine. This was not the case before--I have been using your program for several years with no problem. I am also a paid subscriber to ASC, and have no similar system-tray problem with it. My only thought is that when I do re-start Smart Defrag and run the defragging again, the two things that are immediately defragged are files related to System Restore and my ZoneAlarm Security Suite. I don't know if there's a connection or not.

Pretty much the same problem here. Until they come out with the next version I have SD set to come up when I reboot and it does a defrag and then I click it to quit so that it does not just set there inactive.

I do hope that IObit will upgrade SD soon, but in the mean time that is how I am working with 1.45.

KOR-

Archived