IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Only XP will boot?

itsmejjj

hi all i have a ask..

i have decided to clean my system ..meaning a full formatting.plus a reinstalling of my XP..yes not a easy decision..but i got sick of this interference ..

now i installed win 7 first..then Xp ...but now lost the ability to boot win 7..booting up..as it is only booting XP..

so how can i fix this ??

thanks in advance..

itsmejjj

Hi jjj :wink:

That was to be expected, as installing an older version of Windows last breaks the Win7 bootloader. It happened to me once.

Nice free tool here :

http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

I had used another one but it is no longer freeware. EasyBCD seems to be even better than the one I used. Should be an easy fix for your bootloader.

Good luck !

====

haa thanks ..ok i tried to run this app but will not allow it ..so i put in the repair disk and we are back to win 7...

and xp safely on the other drive.

and xp cant be found i have read on duel booting (google it) but so far failed ..

ok i try it from this os ?

see if that works.

jjj

Hi jjj,

Sorry I couldn't make it back here sooner...

So you couldn't run EasyBCD from XP ? That's strange...

Anyway, now that you have Win7 loading, you can run EasyBCD and go to "Add New Entry". From there, choose the Windows tab, then choose "Windows NT/2K/XP/2K3" from the "Type:" box. Make sure the correct drive is selected and then click the "Add Entry" button. This should add XP back to your bootloader.

The tool has changed from its previous version, so some options that were there to make fixing the bootloader easy are no longer showing like they were before, but the tool seems to have all the power and options as it always has.

Good luck.

at the end of the day do you still want xp if you have W7?

well depending why? one would want to still use it..

my reason is running software win 7 cant ..or a other way to say that is not compatible..running the older software ..plus got a heap of space ,why not?

many use vista as well .but you are right..soon it will be obsolete ,and its showing this already..

but for now is still a very fast OS,and works well..that's why the duel booting running movies from XP is brilliant..so far better that win 7..and a few apps i still like to use..

like we stated a while back ,win7 is very good,and getting better every day..

i must say for me its the best one to use.. (thanks for the app) fixed it..

we now can boot to XP

itsmejjj

Hi guys,

If you are using Windows 7 Pro or better, you have the ability and right to have XP Pro as a full functional virtual Windows XP Mode. (with it's own legal rights as a seperate OS from MS.)

I am very happy with my Win7 Pro as a host OS and XP Pro as a guest OS.

BTW, you have to have your seperate anti-virus, anti-malware and firewall programs installed in virtual Windows XP Mode to be safe as a normal OS. Also you have to update the Windows of both OSs.

For the paid software in them? Well, try and see!:wink:

The PC will boot as Win7 and you can then run Windows XP Mode, so you can have both running at the same time.:-)

This gives you the chance to follow both OSs and if you have different security programs, to follow the different approaches of them to the same vulnarabilities.

Cheers.

Glad it worked, jjj :wink:

enoskype has a good point concerning XP Mode, available for free on W7 Pro, Ultimate and Enterprise versions. You just have to download the package, which is a free XP Pro virtual machine + the special Virtual PC software. Don't try to install this on W7 Home Premium though, because there's a routine that checks your OS first. When this first came out, at the time W7 was at RC release (after Beta), you needed a processor capable of Virtualization Technology ; many complained so they released a patch to get around that some months ago, as many dual and some quad core processors don't have VT capability.

Having a dual boot setup can be better : if your other OS crashes for some reason, you have XP to boot to. But for speed and convenience when using programs in XP, having a virtual machine means you can use both systems at the same time, drap/drop from one to the other, etc...

The XP Mode machine can get infected though, just as any other XP setup.

===

Archived