IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Top PC Products- How Does AWC Match Up?

Clayton

Hi everyone,

Just wondering what your favorite applications are, whether they are competitors of IObit (AWC) or just really well designed and written programs that you use to keep your computer in tip top shape!

I'll get us going. Some of my favorites are Trend Micro's online PC virus/spyware scan and removal (free) called "Trend Micro Housecall." I also like Windows Live OneCare safety scan.

Any one else? It doesn't have to just be what you like- you can also submit programs you think do a great job as competitors to AWC- tell us why, ok?

Thanks!

software

I think Live One Care and House Call are both great, but I look at them a little differently then AWC. They are like the big spring cleaning where AWC is day to day housework that keeps everything sparkling all the time with very little effort.

I like ccleaner- the cleaning and issues scan in a way do some of the things that AWC does, but each one catches things the other doesn't. The registry scan is as safe as AWC (unlike many reg cleaning program nightmares.) It seems to compliment AWC nicely.

Zone Alarm free looks a little wimpy compared to some paid firewalls,

but really does a great job (passes stealth tests that paid ones don't!)

SBC's free CA anti-virus also looks wimpy, but I have been using it in combination with zone alarm free for over a year and have not had one virus or even spyware problem ( other than tracking cookies). Much better than some of the biggies I tried (M & N). I had stuff all the time with them.

samr.

Hi Clayton

FWIW - I run AWC (pro) and ISD alongside

# ZoneAlarm Pro (adequate for purpose on a home PC)

# Spybot for spyware scanning (use predates AWC)

# Spywareblaster for active screening in IE and Firefox

= Micorsoft Windows Defender

I also tried ZoneAlarm's spyware scanner on trial just to see if it picked anything up that AWC did not. I have since uninstalled as it seems to add no value

Spybot does occasionally pick up spyware that AWC does not.

I have not used any other registry cleaning products recently.

I hope that's the sort of input you were looking for

Cheers

Stef

Re: Top PC Products- How Does AWC Match Up?

Hi everyone,

Just wondering what your favorite applications are, whether they are competitors of IObit (AWC) or just really well designed and written programs that you use to keep your computer in tip top shape!

I'll get us going. Some of my favorites are Trend Micro's online PC virus/spyware scan and removal (free) called "Trend Micro Housecall." I also like Windows Live OneCare safety scan.

Any one else? It doesn't have to just be what you like- you can also submit programs you think do a great job as competitors to AWC- tell us why, ok?

Thanks!

lavasoft's adaware is pretty good.

(as for registry cleaners: eusing reg cleaner, ccleaner, and regseeker are competers at the registry cleaner)

• 2 weeks later...

favorites

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everyone,

i use a security suite called charter high speed security suite made thru f secure (firewall anivirus anitspy etc) advanced windows care smart defrag also ccleaner and spybot. havent had a problem (knock on wood) for a few yrs usually run f secure antispy everyday and ccleaner rest run weekly kim west

sygate firewall is fast and efficiant.

i like the REALLY OLDDDDD norton corperate 8.0 it's fast and it has like an infinate license!! but its not good if anyone tries to uninstall it,, i will mess up your computer

SUPERantivirus - is also good. i had it for a while and it picked up tons of spyware, almost harmless cookies, and more The only problem is its scan speed. for a hd with 30 gigs it takes like 4 hours!!!

favorites and stuff

There's two other defraggers that am hoping SmartDefragger can best - PerfectDisk and Vopt. PerfectDisk uses the new technology of single pass (well, OK, almost single pass) file defragging and optimization, and has "screen saver" defragging which works when the computer is idle, along with boot-time defragging of system files But it doesn't have "on-the-fly" defragging like ISD.

Vopt is old technology, but it runs REALLY fast. What is neat about it is it scans for junk files as part of the volume analysis, and gives you the modifiable option of cleaning before you defrag. It also has a function to shut down all programs and unnecessary processes before defragging. It also has a tool to "shred" free space in order to get rid of the data trails there. I would like to see ISD have this kind of functionality.

Here are my favorites in other categories:

Registry Cleaner - Superwin's RegVac and Pareto Logic's RegCure

Data Cleaner - Superwin's A1Click Ultra PC Cleaner and CCleaner

Spyware zapper - Lavasoft's Ad-Aware w/Ad-Watch and Spybot S&D

Anti-virus - Kaspersky or NOD32

Firewall - Kaspersky (not version 6)

neat utilities - EndTask Pro, DH Shutdown, AnalogX's MaxMem, Copernic Agent websearch (NO ads!), Yahoo! Widgets, Internet Download Manager,

DVDFab and DVDIdle Pro

• 2 weeks later...

I have had a little more experience with the Live OneCare scan since I recommended it earlier. I was having trouble with my flash player in IE7. I spent hours trying to figure it out. I had to download the flash removal tool and re-install it before it would work in IE7. It would work for a while and then quit and I would have to uninstall and reinstall flash again to get it to work. I finally figured out that every time I ran OneCare it would clean out my flash and it would quit working in IE7. Each time I tried it I had to fix the flash. I won't be using it again.

I am impressed with Trend Micro Housecall. It found things in my computer I thought I had cleaned out along time ago. Nothing else found these. Very good.

samr.

Archived