IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

PPPoA v PPPoE

sunny staines

My 8 meg broadband on PPPoA connection dropped to 0.13meg no matter what i did could not fix unless i changed to PPPoE and now get an even faster 10.35meg

Can anyone explain why PPPoA can suddenly drop off and why better speeds are from PPPoE?

my internet support provider are poor at the best of times, & it was belkin the router support that suggested PPPoE as a last chance but even they do not know why.

"My internet support provider are poor at the best of times

this would not help "

There are many questions, experimentation, and flip-flopping between PPPoE and PPPoA. Unfortunately, many of the confusions hover above these two protocols.

Both of these protocols give internet service providers (ISP) the capability to rollout broadband use.Basically, PPPoE is configured as a point to point connection between two Ethernet ports. As you would know.

This protocol is normally used in ISP’s lower packages as PPPoE is often utilized to function in lower bandwidth throughput rate. PPPoE is perhaps the most common protocol used when connecting to the internet.Using more overheads. Than ppp0A.

PPPoA is typically the protocol of choice. It will require a Static IP configured straight into the hardware (modem). PPPoA has less overheads, compared to PPPoE therefore, the former is slightly faster than the latter. However, for the end-user, the difference in speed is almost negligible.

Modems that support PPPoA (most Do nowdays) use Asynchronous Transfer Mode — which uses very small, fixed-length packets, in contrast to Ethernet, which uses relatively large, variable-length packets — to do whatever it needs to do.

Please Note:

1. PPPoE means Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet while PPPoA means Point-to-Point Protocol over ATM.

2. PPPoE encapsulates PPP frames inside the Ethernet frames while PPPoA encapsulates frames inside AAAL5.

3. PPPoE is often used in lower packages while PPPoA is often used in enterprise packages.

4. PPPoE is more commonly used than PPPoA.

5. PPPoA has slightly less overhead than PPPoE therefore, it is a bit faster.

Positives only found in PPPoE: "PPPoE has positive features that can not be found in PPPoA."

Providing the server (your ISP PROVIDER ) is running correctly and configured correctly and or not faulty, OLD hardware" or unstable hard ware, software used.

That can be unstable at times when in heavy use.

I suggest, give this a few days, or tell them about your concerns, or try your old setting again, and see if its still there."The problem of slow connection or dropping of speed."

The short answer:

They may have changed the hardware and/or software, and the PPPoA protocol is now unstable for use.

Your changing to PPPoE are suddenly running faster, as this is stable in your case.

It is hard to say.

Mr Bean

Archived