IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Gone, but not forgotten

bobingi

I ran just a simple defrag on my internal F Drive (not the primary) yesterday....first time in ages, and today that F drive has disappeared. I click on My Computer as usual, and when I click on F, a window tells me it needs to be formatted, "and press here to accomplish". All files, etc. do not appear as usual. What happened? Have I lost all 70GB forever?

I ran just a simple defrag

Hi,

Yes, I have seen this many times, and sometimes what happened to you also has happen to me.

Now, DO NOT FORMAT. We try to recover the files first.

Need more info:

Is the drive split? I think it is.

Is it backed up? Sounds like it not.

Try this. Use your repair disk CD, boot and see if its sees the drive, nothing else.

Do not format, or use Bart boot cd.

Then let me know.

I think the MBR may be corrupted. Loosing of the drive, but its there and the files are there.

Also what OS are you using?

Next thing read up on "Hard drive recovery utilities".

Google this, so you understand what we are trying to do.

Mr Bean

Hi,

Yes, I have seen this many times, and sometimes what happened to you also has happen to me.

Now, DO NOT FORMAT. We try to recover the files first.

Need more info:

Is the drive split? I think it is.

Is it backed up? Sounds like it not.

Try this. Use your repair disk CD, boot and see if its sees the drive, nothing else.

Do not format, or use Bart boot cd.

Then let me know.

I think the MBR may be corrupted. Loosing of the drive, but its there and the files are there.

Also what OS are you using?

Next thing read up on "Hard drive recovery utilities".

Google this, so you understand what we are trying to do.

Mr Bean

Thanks for response! split? don't know....backed up?...NO....no repair disc available..........XP Pro system.

I have been in Disk Management and Find F/Drive, and it says it is completely clean, max space available, and ready to go, just format. What happened to all the files?

What happened to all the files? That is what we would like to know as well, so please lets try to find out.

Hi again and you are very welcome.

Try to follow as I ask you and you do as I ask, carefully.

Do not format the drive.

So we look like having a wiped drive?

Now to be sure, download the free app, since we would like to make sure this is the case..

Is the drive split? Meaning you have 1 internal drive that has been split into 2 parts.

or if the drive is 70 gigs.

Lets try this first and hope the files are there.

***//download.cnet.com/3001-2248_4-75184619.html?spi=d6e66bf4a54cd5fff14a81a686f1d25f

Please copy past the address with out the ***// into your browser and download the recovery program.

Install it if you can on a flash drive, or a read write CD, and run it from there.

Try not to install on the C:/ drive.

Now start it and look for the drive, your lost files and try to recover a few small files.

Explanation:

Whether partition can be recognized by system or not depends on the partition table. If partition table is destroyed by virus or partition is deleted accidentally, you will not see the partition you need. In fact, the partition is not actually lost.

If this works we are good, as we know thy are there.

Then please post back.

MR Bean.

***//www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizard/recover-lost-partition.htm

Please not this is not promoting the soft ware .

I want you and readers to know it can Be done.

tho, I use the software there are others available.

Sorry Mr. Bean, but I am not that computer literate....actually not even close. All I would do is mess things up to where I have nothing working. Have done so before.

Thanks so much for your help. I will just forgo what is lost, and start over. Good day!

That is a pity, sorry this happened. Sometimes I would love to be close to someone and help.

If you placed it on my table, within half an hour, we have it fixed.

All I can say please learn. We all have learned to back up a system, drives,files....

How to recover from what just happened to you, install, reinstall, use utilities, read, study and as you did, seek advice..

Even I do not know every thing, but when I get a bit of spare time, loving the hobby and seek Information.

Any how, I hope you give this a consideration, so as to avoid this ever happening again.

Good Luck.

Mr Bean

Thank you for your kind words, but I must say that I didnt do anything wrong that I can think of, so it very well, could happen again!! It is a 40GB internal drive, and I have recently went ahead and reformatted it, and it works perfect!! Its just that 40GB of files are completely gonzo!! I see traces of some of the titles when I do a defrag, but when I do a search, nothing comes up.

Hi

welcome back

now don't matter what size the drive is 20,30,40,50,200: what ever.

BUT take AGE into consideration as well.thy don't last forever.

I have a lot of them but do not trust them .100% and expect them to die any time.or lose data.

So what you need to do is.

Reformat the drive,ok you say you have,.lets do this again.now make sure its a slow format,not a quick format,then do a check of the drive

for any failings as check for dead tracks,?.

$$$://www.easeus.com/resource/format-file-recovery.htm

***://www.webtechgeek.com/How-to-Format-a-Hard-Drive.htm

read here in particular.

and yes it can happen any time.

since we have formatted the drive any how.lets now learn on how to prevent this ever again.and also lets get a free back up program

first please read the 2 ad of information.so we know what we are doing.and then post back .and ask any question's.

ok so whats the point here in all of this?

what i would like you to do is.

copy a bunch of files any thing to the newly formatted drive.say about 10 gigs or so. all sorts of files.

then run the def rag program .and see what happens.if you lose them again

as in files,

we know its the Os or the program not working as one.

if you want to that is.

the possible thing is and I say that kindly the drive may be having problems.(AGE)

I had one of my 80 Gig Drive PACK IT IN YESTERDAY.just stopped dead.

yours could be singing, the symphony , We on or last leg .

Mr Bean

Archived