IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

System Optimization - Problems Found

Rick76

In a recent scan for System Optimization it reported 3 problems, which I would like to get some insight on before I blindly "repair" them. The first 2 were under Windows Services and the 3rd under System Configuration.

The first, Background Intelligent Transfer Service, reports it is set to Automatic but should be set to Manual. When I researched this from Microsoft, it said the default value should be Automatic. Why would ASC tell me it should be set to Manual? I prefer to get my Windows Updates automatically during the early morning hours.

The second, Smart Card, also shows the default setting of Automatic but ASC also recommends that this be changed to Manual?

And the third, Optimize Crash Control under System Configuration, shows the current value as 1243984 but ASC recommends this be set to 0. I cannot find any information on this topic so I have no idea if I should be changing it or not.

I would appreciate any input from anyone that is familiar with these Windows Services.

OK Rick76,

The main purpose of ASC optimization is to keep the usage of resources to minimum, so you can use those resources for your work in the PC

-If you want to automatically update Windows, then put Background Intelligent Transfer Service value in the Ignore List (right click and Ignore.) (Manual works OK).

-If you are using Smart Cards, then put that to Ignore List too.

-Here is the info about Crash Control written by Admin Clayton on Apr. 25th, 2007. You are using XP, so it is still valid for you.

OPTIMIZE CRASH CONTROL

This is simply an optimization to prevent error reporting. Basically it speeds up your computer because when an error occurs, your computer does not take more time (and thus possibly making the error greater or significantly slowing down your computer during an error- no fun at all) to gather information about the error to send to Microsoft for analysis. Generally, error reporting is a superfluous process and doesn't even work if you are not right then connected to the internet. Ever heard of the "I agree to submit anonymous personal usage data" agreements in the installations of some software (like Google or Microsoft)? This is generally the same concept. If an error occurs, the manufacturer is notified and does not always take any measure to correct the error, especially if, and it most often is, a user-generated problem or simple error that should not be a threat to your security or stability.

So it is your decision to choose which you would like the PC to do.

Cheers.

Manual seems ok

Welcome to the forum Rick76 :smile:

I checked the Services at BlackViper and he says the default settings for Background Intelligent Transfer Service and Smart Card are Manual (Click on the name for more info)

I have used the BlackViper settings for many years on my XP Home and so my settings are

Background Intelligent Transfer Service = Manual I have no problems with automatic updates.

Smart Card = Disabled I only have my Netbook so I have no need for it.

The only informaton I could find on Crash Control was HERE but it doesn't explain much or what changes can be made. Hopefully someone will have some knowledge of this and reply soon.

Description

The Crash Control subkey stores entries that specify what happens when the system locks, fails, or terminates abnormally.

Edit: Beaten by the flying fingers of enoskype again :mrgreen:

All the best, woz of oz

Archived