IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Real Player Registry Entries

wonkabear

I think I have a problem here.

I use a couple of different reg cleaners and one of them has been picking up an obsolete reg entry for RealNetWorks and Real Player. This doesn't happen every time I run it, only occasionally.

I do not have and do not want anything to do with Real Player on my system.

Anytime these entries appear I normally just let the reg cleaner handle it and be done with it. But they always seemed to re-appear at sometime in the future.

I have been having this problem for some time and finally started trying to figure out where they keep caming from.

I manually deleted the entries shown below and started a tracking method to figure out where they came from.

HKCU\Software\RealNetWorks\

HKCU\Software\RealNetWorks\RealPlayer\

HKCU\Software\RealNetWorks\RealPlayer\6.0\

HKCU\Software\RealNetWorks\RealPlayer\6.0\Preferences\

HKCU\Software\RealNetWorks\RealPlayer\8.0\

HKCU\Software\RealNetWorks\RealPlayer\8.0\Preferences\

I completely cleaned my registry using several different reg cleaners to include AWC2.

I compacted it, rebooted and ran my reg cleaners again just to make sure everything was gone. It was.

Then I started my tracking.

This consisted of running my reg cleaners after each action or use of the system.

Nothing appeared until after I had run AWC2 Update, downloaded the update, and installed the update.

Low and behold, the entries shown above for RealPlayer were back in my registry.

I don't really like things of this nature to take place kinda behind my back. In other words, a software developer putting entries into my registry without me knowing about it or why.

I know it happens, but I was really impressed with IOBIT and AWC2 as it was recommended to me by my trusted local computer repair shop that I have been going to for ages. Of course, they probably didn't know this was happening.

Not that it really affects my system or it's operation. It's just that I don't like things being put into my system that I don't know about or can't control.

And besides that, I think RealPlayer is up to version 11 if I'm not mistaken. Why would the AWC2 updates be putting in registry entries about RealPlayer versions 6 and 8?

It's got me baffled and I would appreciate any help anyone can give me on this quandry.

AWC is a good program. It's clean, quick, easy to set up and easy to use. It appears to be relatively safe when cleaning the registry and other items. It also appears to be safe when making settings for various uses of your system. I like it.

However, the RealPlayer reg entries have me concerned and if it persists, then I will have to cancel my registration and use of this program.

Thanks and have a great day.

William Peek

Fayetteville NC

Tim,

The problem is not with the sweeping function in AWC.

It's with the fact that I can clean the registry of all bogus entries and then run the update feature from AWC.

If there is a new version for download and installation, it is placing the Real Player entries into the registry.

I have checked this several times as I have 2 computers that I use AWC on and it happens on both of them.

Do you have any code in the program installer that is associated with Real Player that would place those entries into my registry?

Thanks for the reply and go have a great day.

Bill

Actually.. its not due to the updates and actually happens every time you let awc to run the privacy sweep then choose repair.

Everytime you run AWC privacy sweep, it will check for Real Player in the Multimedia section of the privacy analysis. I'm thinking it will add the registry value of Real Player so it has something to check. I'm guessing here on this because there are some other values that also show up due to this checking in privacy sweep and also security defense section.

But, it happens every time you run AWC and let AWC repair what it finds in the scan. I unchecked realplayer in the analysis window and Real Player doesn't show up anymore.

Just another overkill of registry sweeps I think.

• 1 year later...

Archived