IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Ideas- How to get the most out of Smart Defrag

I wanted to start a topic on ideas of how to get the best results defragging your hard disc. Mabye some of your ideas will help people get the best results defragging. Here is some ideas I have found.

1. Check local disc for errors ( My computer-right click local disc-properties- tools. Make sure to check the error correcting boxes). This will ask you if you want to run it at next start up. Click yes. It will take a while, so allow some time. Will correct errors on disc and will allow more fragments do be removed by defragger. I try to do this about every 6 months.

2.Before defragging, disconnect from the internet. Shut down any programs that you can that are running in system tray (anti-virus, firewall ect.) This will allow defragger to optmize the programs that run at start up better.

3. Run manual defrag in compehensive mode ( for disc optimization). I run in comprehensive mode 1-2 a month. This will help optimize the startup programs. After that I manually defrag in express mode about once a week.

4. After defrag, restart computer to start all the start up programs you shut off.

If anyone has other ideas on this subject please post. It could be very helpful.

Thanks, samr.

Hi Stef,

After reading several articles about running Windows defrag in safe mode, I decided to try it with Smart defrag. It will not start in safe mode. It just errors and tries to send a bug report. Don't bother trying it.

samr.

• Before defrag hard disc I clean it with Adv.Windows Care and CCleaner. With recycle bin empty. The free space is ready to be defrag. The optimization is more efficient.

• It is relevant use a defrag in safe mode - for a full defragmentation and without interference of real time appications (e.g., anti virus).

samr, yours advices are adequates for the users. Thanks.

Regards

before defragging

I agree with samr and MajorMo - it saves a lot of time to shut down all other programs and clean the disk BEFORE defragging. After doing this, it also helps to clear memory so the defragger has all it can to work with.

(BTW - the Vopt defragger has a function built in to close down all unnecessary programs and processes prior to defragging. IT's a nice touch!!! That would be a GREAT addition to SmartDefrag.) :idea:

Here are my favorite memory cleaner and cleaner programs - MemMax by AnalogX, and A1Click Ultra PC Cleaner by SuperWin software.

Re: before defragging

I agree with samr and MajorMo - it saves a lot of time to shut down all other programs and clean the disk BEFORE defragging. After doing this, it also helps to clear memory so the defragger has all it can to work with.

(BTW - the Vopt defragger has a function built in to close down all unnecessary programs and processes prior to defragging. IT's a nice touch!!! That would be a GREAT addition to SmartDefrag.) :idea:

Here are my favorite memory cleaner and cleaner programs - MemMax by AnalogX, and A1Click Ultra PC Cleaner by SuperWin software.

Yes, smartdefrag stops sometimes with running or will send a bug report when you are running otherprograms

Archived