IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

safe mode

Not sure if you can enable it in safe mode, especially with your computer at its current state. What i do suggest you try is when booting up, press the F8 function, and try to use the last known good config of your computer....see if that helps.

Hi netoriginator,

I don't know whether AWC works in safe mode or not, but if it does, I wouldn't expect it fix anything. Generally, if you can boot reliably into safe mode but not Windows, you have a problem with a driver; AWC doesn't mess with drivers.

Have you looked at your event logs while in safe mode? If an error is being logged it might might point you in the right direction.

What OS are you running? With XP SP2 you can start and stop the system restore service in safe mode.

Win XP SP2...

Start -> Run -> "services.msc" (without the quotes) -> OK

Scroll down until you see System Restore Service and double-click it.

Under Service Status click Start.

Set startup type to Automatic to start the service with Windows.

Vista...

clueless :~(

Dave

Not sure if you can enable it in safe mode, especially with your computer at its current state. What i do suggest you try is when booting up, press the F8 function, and try to use the last known good config of your computer....see if that helps.

That was the first thing I tried when it did not boot correctly..

I went through all of the F8 options..

It works in safe mode, and safe mode w/network.. but fails at the last step in regular boot.

So your saying that the application will not work in safe mode? I saw some info in FAQ that said to run in safe mode if problems in regular mode...

Hi netoriginator,

I don't know whether AWC works in safe mode or not, but if it does, I wouldn't expect it fix anything. Generally, if you can boot reliably into safe mode but not Windows, you have a problem with a driver; AWC doesn't mess with drivers.

Have you looked at your event logs while in safe mode? If an error is being logged it might might point you in the right direction.

What OS are you running? With XP SP2 you can start and stop the system restore service in safe mode.

Win XP SP2...

Start -> Run -> "services.msc" (without the quotes) -> OK

Scroll down until you see System Restore Service and double-click it.

Under Service Status click Start.

Set startup type to Automatic to start the service with Windows.

Vista...

clueless :~(

Dave

Thanks Dave,

have xp - sp2 but sys restore was off... that would have have made problem easy to cure..

sys restore will not turn on in safe mode.. I get message that it has to be in normal to turn on or off.

Thanks for the driver suggestion.. it's my wifes pc she was trying to install something when it something startede acting funny.. the reboot attempt failed... so you are right it must be something the program she tried to install did..

chkdsk

Hi netoriginator,

Have you tried Chkdsk /R in command prompt in Safe Mode?

Hi netoriginator,

Have you tried Chkdsk /R in command prompt in Safe Mode?

tried it.. that made things worse.. system locked in chkdsk mode...

it gets to

Checking the file system on C:

The type of file system is NTFS.

The volume is clean.

Windows is finished checking the disk.

then stops.. does not go to next step restart

after 10 restarts the chkdsk stopped - will now boot again in safe mode w/network

After reading up on chkdsk it's not a good thing to do/recommend with out taking back up precautions.. and being prepared for all data loss..

sys restore will not turn on in safe mode.. I get message that it has to be in normal to turn on or off.

That's odd. I actually tried it on my PC before I posted. I can turn the system restore service on and off, and change the startup type while in safe mode. Any more detail to the message?

Go ahead and check your event logs and see if there's anything obvious there.

Start -> Run -> eventvwr.msc -> OK

Look in Application and System for red splats.

Did you say you installed an APP that caused this crash? And if so, do you get an error message from it?

Yes.. my wife was installing an off line client for skill soft's online tutorials - halfway through the install it forced the pc into reboot and it was stuck in safe mode.. no error message..

I have tried to contact them for list of dlls and driver their app installs but they are not much on help

It never completed the install - partway though the install it forced the reboot.. A friend that works at Symantec suggested I remove all video drivers except vga and try to reboot.. I'm going to give that a try, if that doesn't work I'll be buying a case of beer and bribing him to stop by to help fix it.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.. I appreciate everyones help..

tried it.. that made things worse.. system locked in chkdsk mode...

it gets to

Checking the file system on C:

The type of file system is NTFS.

The volume is clean.

Windows is finished checking the disk.

then stops.. does not go to next step restart

after 10 restarts the chkdsk stopped - will now boot again in safe mode w/network

After reading up on chkdsk it's not a good thing to do/recommend with out taking back up precautions.. and being prepared for all data loss..

Hi again netoriginator,

Hundreds of times I have used chkdsk /F, /R, /P on many many computers and only once I had a problem with chkdsk because of a defragmenter and even at that time Recovery Console chkdsk /R has solved it.

I am sorry that you had problem with it.

All the other advices in this thread are very logical and worth trying, but I am discouraged to give some other radical options, thinking that may do the things worse.

There is one safe way that you can try to find the problematic system/driver file.

Search (with search companion) with the problem date , files(*.*) including hidden and system files, and renaming those suspicious files with problem's happening creation date and extentions (with noting what is changed) in Safe Mode and restart in Normal Mode.

I hope this helps.

BTW, the answer to your original questions is YES, the program will work in safe mode to fix registry and sys optimization, but for that Mode and I agree with JustDave that it won't fix your problem(s).

Cheers.

Archived