IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

smart defrag vs windows defrag

Hi kenbeme,

The green or red bar on status page of smart defrag shows hard disc optimization, but I don't think it is a good indicator of if you should defrag or not. If you click "smart defrag" in manual defrag it is supposed to defrag if it deems it neccessary.

I have found that if you"analyze" in windows defragger, generally the disc has to be pretty fragmented for it to recommend defragging.If it says you should defrag, I would do it (but with Smart defrag). Just my opinion.

samr.

who's right?

I disagree with you samr. See my post in the "questions about defraggers - and the Iobit one" thread.

Which analysis is correct depends on what you want - a compacted drive or optimized files. Windows defragger was made by Diskeeper. It uses the old approach to defragging where all the defragged files are shoved to the "front" of the drive.

I think SmartDefragger uses the new approach to defragging with file optimization instead of just compacting. BUT it's hard to tell since I can't find out from IObit how SD works :x (HINT! HINT! How about some detailed documentation??)

Running Windows defragger and then SmartDefragger is unnecessary and pointless - you're just moving defragged files around. Pick one program and trust it and go on. :wink:

Re: who's right?

I disagree with you samr. See my post in the "questions about defraggers - and the Iobit one" thread.

Which analysis is correct depends on what you want - a compacted drive or optimized files. Windows defragger was made by Diskeeper. It uses the old approach to defragging where all the defragged files are shoved to the "front" of the drive.

I think SmartDefragger uses the new approach to defragging with file optimization instead of just compacting. BUT it's hard to tell since I can't find out from IObit how SD works :x (HINT! HINT! How about some detailed documentation??)

Running Windows defragger and then SmartDefragger is unnecessary and pointless - you're just moving defragged files around. Pick one program and trust it and go on. :wink:

Yes, you have only to run one of them, but the indicator of SD can be better. Now is it wise to analyze in windows defrag and than defrag with SD.

Archived