IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Input Methods

solbjerg

Hi all

You have all seen me go on about the input of character by using Alt+ character number.

This works most places but in some application only up to number 256 (i.e. notepad)

In Word it is possible to use the Hexadecimal numbers too by writing the number – for example 3C0 and then place the cursor directly behind the zero and press Alt+x this will change the number to the sign π (phi), this can be achieved too by writing Alt+0960. But it only works in Word and some other Office programs – it does not work in Notepad for example.

The other day I came across a possible solution to this.

It involves the use of hex-numbers. What you do is that you press the key Alt (keep it down) and then press the plus sign + on the number board and then the Hex number on the keyboard 3c0 .

But the possibility is not always present in the registry and have to be inserted there before it works.

The address in the registry is: HKEY_Current_User/Control Panel/Input Method

You then have to right-click in the right pane and choose

New/StringValue and Name it EnableHexNumpad

then right click on that and choose Modify and give the Value 1

Restart your computer and try the method out! :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. If you are using a laptop you will have to use the FN key first and then the key that lights up and choose the + sign, after that (still keeping the Alt key down you can leave the FN setup) and then press the Hex number on the normal keyboard and then release the Alt key.

Edit: You may have to stay in the FN setup and press the numbers on the side of the keys but the letters on the normal keyboard.

I don't use a laptop very often - sorry.

Archived