IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

UAC message on bootup

mtlguy33

Hello, i have been using IMF for a few weeks with no problems. Today when I booted my pc I got a UAC popup to allow "c:\windows\syswow64\net.exe start imfservice". I agreed but now I'm worried I may have a virus. I scanned my pc with avast, malwarebytes and it came clean. I never had this user account control popup on bootup until today. Anyone know what may be causing it?

If you disable Iobit malware Fighter on start up does the same prompt appear when you launch IMF manually? If you disable IMF on start up, right click the IMF desktop shortcut and run IMF as administrator does it give you the same prompt?

Don't think you have malware based on description.

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!!

P.S. Had you made any changes to your registry before your last boot up?? If so try restoring your registry, or doing a clean install of IMF using these guidelines... http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?p=39220#post39220

I found out what was triggering it. Every morning I do a boot-time scan with Avast, and I noticed the UAC prompt occured after I ran one and it rebooted. I then rebooted normally 5 times in a row and it didn't do it. So I ran another Avast boot-time scan and it reoccured. I then disabled IMF on start up and ran another boot-time scan and it didn't occur. Also during this time I clicked on the shortcut and ran it as an admin and the message didn't occur.

Could be some issue between Avast and IMF. I noticed that when the computer reboots after an Avast boot-time scan my network icon in the task bar has the activity circle , which I only get when I'm manually connecting to the net. Normal boot doesn't show this circle.

• 1 month later...

I have a slightly different issue on boot up.

In order for that service you mention to run I have to allow Microsoft Net Command to run. Clearly i have some problem with the service starting. I have been into services and set to Automatic start but it has failed to take effect beyond the next reboot. At the same time I now fail to start Themes service. My laptop starts with Themes service running but I have all Aero themes disabled and get the start word on the start button and not the new icon and also the Peek at the far right of the taskbar has a small rectangular button instead of being blank. Restarting Themes service fixes this but tis getting annoying having to do so every time I boot or restart the laptop.

It seems to me that the 2 issues are connected - they seem to date from the last upgrade to IMF.

There is a message during bootup referring to a failure to start a service and a failure to contact the Event Notifcation service to report this failure - presumably that service had not yet started up. Again this seems to be connected

Archived