IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

How to plan an individual scheduled defrag for each drive

vicile

I am a new user of Smart Defrag 2.2.

I have 5 drives on my computer. I am trying to set a different scheduled defrag for each drive.

Each time I set a time and frequency for defraging a specific drive, the schedule plan applies to all drives.

How can I plan an individual scheduled defrag for each drive?

Hi vicile

To my knowledge it isn't possible.

But does it really matter that the drives are defragged at the same time?

It takes a bit longer - by me about 5 more minutes today when I tested it - opposed to 10 minutes for C:\ alone - when around 3%-5% fragmented. (In all today almost 15 minutes)

I never defragment the drive where I store the image files of my drives,

I do that to be sure that the defragmentation of my images doesn't render them useless - that drive doesn't fragment much anyway as it it only used for security copies..

I make do with three drives (C-D-E)

Cheers

solbjerg

I am a new user of Smart Defrag 2.2.

I have 5 drives on my computer. I am trying to set a different scheduled defrag for each drive.

Each time I set a time and frequency for defraging a specific drive, the schedule plan applies to all drives.

How can I plan an individual scheduled defrag for each drive?

Hi vicile

To my knowledge it isn't possible.

But does it really matter that the drives are defragged at the same time?

It takes a bit longer - by me about 5 more minutes today when I tested it - opposed to 10 minutes for C:\ alone - when around 3%-5% fragmented. (In all today almost 15 minutes)

I never defragment the drive where I store the image files of my drives,

I do that to be sure that the defragmentation of my images doesn't render them useless - that drive doesn't fragment much anyway as it it only used for security copies..

I make do with three drives (C-D-E)

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi solbjerg,

Thanks for responding.

It does't really matter if the drives are defragged at the same time,

I do it anyway at night... but I would preferred to have drive C defraged every

other day and the other drives, where I store my data or my backups, less often.

I did't know that defragging data drives (photos and music) can damage or change them, is that so?

Hi vicile

No - my use of the word "image" is in this instance what for example Macrium Reflect calls the copying of your drive.

And they are used if you have to restore your drive completely if something bad has happened that you can't repair otherwise. It restores the whole drive to former working settings without losing any data if you keep those "images" up to date.

I am reluctant to mess with these files ("images") in any way at all.

Prior to updating them I sometimes do run a defrag of that particular drive. But they do not fragment much.

I have never had to use the "image" files - but it is nice to know that they are there if the situation should arise that I needed them. :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi solbjerg,

Thanks for responding.

It does't really matter if the drives are defragged at the same time,

I do it anyway at night... but I would preferred to have drive C defraged every

other day and the other drives, where I store my data or my backups, less often.

I did't know that defragging data drives (photos and music) can damage or change them, is that so?

I understand.

I have myself some of those image files and unfortunately I had to use

one some weeks ago for the first time, when my system went crazy.

So what is left to do is schedule defrag drive C and defrag the other drives manually now and then.

Thank you very much.

:smile:

hi vicile

Yes that is how I would do it - if I used the automatic functions at all.

Which I don't - other than for checking purposes - to be able to answer a specific question if it comes up. :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

I understand.

I have myself some of those image files and unfortunately I had to use

one some weeks ago for the first time, when my system went crazy.

So what is left to do is schedule defrag drive C and defrag the other drives manually now and then.

Thank you very much.

:smile:

Archived