IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Computer DEAD after install!

Flipp

Hi. Please bear with me as I am not very computer savvy. I recently downloaded ASCv5 to my media center system with great results, so I decided my wife's laptop, that had become incredibly slow, would benefit as well.

After install, it was recommended to do a scan and deep clean, I did this. After the restart following the registry cleaning, the computer was unresponsive to any keystroke or mouse click. The screen showed my desktop wallpaper without any icons, the task bar showed clock and start button, but only an hourglass if I hovered over it.

I left the computer for about an hour but still no change so I restarted using the power button. I tried restarting to the last known good configuration as recommended in other threads, also in safe mode both with the same results.

Is there anything else that I can try or do I owe my wife a new laptop?

How did you attempt to launch the safe mode... were you prompted to it because the machine did not go through the proper shutdown sequence or did you try to enter safe mode through the F8 key at boot-up?

Were you able to get the machine into safe mode?? Is the machine description in your user profile the affected machine?

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Hi Mel thanks for responding.

I tried safe mode at boot up with F8 key, it was still unresponsive. The machine is the one in my profile.

Just to update...I spent many hours today researching for fixes or ways to get the system to start. I finally came across ERD commander and a helpful you-tube video showing how to use it to start a dead computer. I was then able to restore to just before I installed ASCv5 and reboot. The computer is back to the way it was however, it is very slow.

My desktop shows ASC icons but the program is not on the drive. I don't know if I want to try another install.

Glad you have black screen!!! I suspect the system was already compromised! Do not run ASC registry fix on it at this time!

We can find the source of the problem if you want to.

It will require some small time and dedication... but I believe the problem is not solved... only temporarily circumvented.

-Mel:smile:

Live long and prosper

If what you are referring to as Black screen is ERD Commander, I came across that program as a free 30 day trial. here Somehow I found a link to this German site.

I really would like to get to the bottom of the problem... the computer is extremely slow, it takes about 5 minutes to boot up! As I said, I am not a very computer savvy person, so if you have some patience I would appreciate the help. :)

Should I download ASC again and do everything except a registry clean or determine the issues first.

Archived