IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

This is going to take a long time!

drlambert100

Why is there no option to change the priority of the defragmentation engine. I went in to 'Task Manager' and found that the priority is set to 'low' and I can't change it. I would like to set it to 'High' so it can complete while I am away from the desktop. It's been over 10 hours now and only 23% complete for one of my 5 drives. I'm glad I didn't select all drives together.

Hi drlambert100!

Welcome to Iobit Forum!!:smile:

Normally Smart Defrag operates much more quickly than this!!:shock: I am curious as to what type of defrag was initiated (defrag only, fast optimize, or deep optimize), the size of the drive, how full it is, how long has it been since it was defragmented, and the number of fragmented files Smart Defrag detected at the beginning of the process. Also curious if there are other softwares running at the time of the defrag and if so which ones they are. If your drive has large files in it I am particularly interested to know what the setting in the attached screenshot is... especially if the drive is near capacity.

It is a good idea to completely clean your system using an effective system cleaning tool (or two, or three) before defragging and shut down other softwares to the barebones minimum.

A deep optimize on my 200 Gig C:drive with 130 Gigs used usually takes only about 18-25 mins., I defrag usually every 2-3 weeks.

I have looked through some earlier threads and found some relevant to this. On one the suggestion was made to temporarily disable any security and system protection softwares when the defrag is run. The user never posted back the result so we don't know if this worked or not. Here is another idea posted by Member Toppack on a thread where Smart Defrag was hanging up: Have you run the command-line utility called 'chkdsk' (check disk) lately?

Syntax: chkdsk /f or chkdsk /r

(To make sure that there are no hard-drive errors)

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Archived