IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Asking for help

DriftKingHan

There is something strange happened in my PC.

I have locked a lot of files by using the Protected Folder.

And recently , i unlock and delete them , then the strange thing happens.

After analysed the disk driver by Smart Defrag , there is a large quantity of space is black(stands for can't move). :shock:

Not driver C .

So i'm here begging for your help.

What should i do to resolve this mess.

Looking forward for your solutions.

Thanks.

Hi DriftKingHan

Could you please provide us with a screenshot.

Cheers

solbjerg

There is something strange happened in my PC.

I have locked a lot of files by using the Protected Folder.

And recently , i unlock and delete them , then the strange thing happens.

After analysed the disk driver by Smart Defrag , there is a large quantity of space is black(stands for can't move). :shock:

Not driver C .

So i'm here begging for your help.

What should i do to resolve this mess.

Looking forward for your solutions.

Thanks.

Hi DriftKingHan

Could you please provide us with a screenshot.

Cheers

solbjerg

First thanks for your reply.:-)

My screenshot is in the page below.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=c2417a134b2c3e31&resid=C2417A134B2C3E31!165&parid=C2417A134B2C3E31!132&authkey=!ABruAUB6mHDJ-ds

And this is disk C

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=c2417a134b2c3e31&resid=C2417A134B2C3E31!166&parid=C2417A134B2C3E31!132&authkey=!AF7EWCNQkUbsb0o

Thanks again.

Hi DriftKingHan

Thanks, but I have a very hard time reading it.

It is your E: drive right? What kind of drive is that? A separate harddisk, a partition, a removable disk?

But it is perhaps your primary drive?

Have you deleted the locked folders completely?

Do you still have the locked folders program? If you do - does the program then say which folders were locked?

Were the defragmentation run directly after the deletion or did you restart the computer first?

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi DriftKingHan

Thanks, but I have a very hard time reading it.

It is your E: drive right? What kind of drive is that? A separate harddisk, a partition, a removable disk?

But it is perhaps your primary drive?

Have you deleted the locked folders completely?

Do you still have the locked folders program? If you do - does the program then say which folders were locked?

Were the defragmentation run directly after the deletion or did you restart the computer first?

Cheers

solbjerg

I am so sorry to trouble you.It is so kind of you to be so patient.:smile:

It is not only the disk E has the black blocks ,also the disk D has the same situation.

Disk E is a primary partition, and disk D is a logical driver.

About the locked folders,i unlocked them first, and then deleted (shift+delete).

So there is nothing left in the Protected Folder.

All of this is done several weeks ago.

Today i ran the Smart Defrag,and founded that there is a lot of black blocks that means unmovable parts in the Disk D and Disk E .

So in a sense, the defragmentation was run after i restarted the computer.

I'm sorry for my poor expression ability.

If there is more information is needed, i will pleasure to provide it.

Hi DriftKingHan

Well, there are other factors that can give many unmoveables - we once had a user where practically all was black and the disk almost totally filled.

What are your settings?

As I cannot read your screenshot I can't see how filled they are

Do you have the Ignore files larger than 1GB setting ticked?

Do you have many videoes on the disk?

Please take a look at the links in my signature and read Thinking about defragmentation. For good measure try reading Usage of IObit Products too. :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. Have you tried a Clean Uninstall of the Protected folders program

If you search for protected folder - how many files do you find?

I am so sorry to trouble you.It is so kind of you to be so patient.:smile:

It is not only the disk E has the black blocks ,also the disk D has the same situation.

Disk E is a primary partition, and disk D is a logical driver.

About the locked folders,i unlocked them first, and then deleted (shift+delete).

So there is nothing left in the Protected Folder.

All of this is done several weeks ago.

Today i ran the Smart Defrag,and founded that there is a lot of black blocks that means unmovable parts in the Disk D and Disk E .

So in a sense, the defragmentation was run after i restarted the computer.

I'm sorry for my poor expression ability.

If there is more information is needed, i will pleasure to provide it.

Disk E is 21.5 gigs with 8.31 utilized... perhaps it is a visual illusion to a problem and most of the Restore points are here. The name of the disk is Lenovo (the manufacturer).

Disk C is 50.1 gigs with 17.7 utilized. (visually many less black boxes)

Disk D is 225 gigs with only 26.2 utilized. (I wonder what it visually looks like)

Sincerely,

-Mel

Hi DriftKingHan

Well, there are other factors that can give many unmoveables - we once had a user where practically all was black and the disk almost totally filled.

What are your settings?

As I cannot read your screenshot I can't see how filled they are

Do you have the Ignore files larger than 1GB setting ticked?

Do you have many videoes on the disk?

Please take a look at the links in my signature and read Thinking about defragmentation. For good measure try reading Usage of IObit Products too. :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. Have you tried a Clean Uninstall of the Protected folders program

If you search for protected folder - how many files do you find?

Thank you solbjerg!

And thanks for your advice.:-)

As a fact,disk D and disk E do have a large number of videos.As a consequence,they take up the majority space of the disks.

So i followed your tips.I tried to move part of them to another computer,and ran the Smart Defrag to analyze disk E again.

And miracle happened!!!

The black blocks disappeared!!!

All of these mess is my lacking knowledge and experience.

Thousands of words can't express my gratitude!!!:-D

And another issue i don't understand.

:?:Why do these videos take the unmovable spaces while the 'Skip files larger than 1 GB' option is not chose ?

I will be obliged if you would like answer it.:-)

Because the files (video) are so large that is is difficult to move them into a contiguous space within the disks or partitions they were on. (it is hard to find an area on the disk that you can move them to that is better than the placement they already have)!

Your disk D would be the place to move large files as it is largely unused. (this disk D would be the place to move the large files within your system)

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Disk E is 21.5 gigs with 8.31 utilized... perhaps it is a visual illusion to a problem and most of the Restore points are here. The name of the disk is Lenovo (the manufacturer).

Disk C is 50.1 gigs with 17.7 utilized. (visually many less black boxes)

Disk D is 225 gigs with only 26.2 utilized. (I wonder what it visually looks like)

Sincerely,

-Mel

Thanks for your concern.

Although the disk E is named Lenovo and it is a RECOVERY DISK ever,but i format it one years ago.

And as a result, it is a logical driver now.

Because the files (video) are so large that is is difficult to move them into a contiguous space within the disks or partitions they were on. (it is hard to find an area on the disk that you can move them to that is better than the placement they already have)!

Your disk D would be the place to move large files as it is largely unused. (this disk D would be the place to move the files within your system)

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Thanks for your answer.I understand it now.

I moved the videos to another desktop computer through a LAN.

I have not operate disk D yet, because it is almost full now and there is no more space in the desktop to contain more files.

I just operate disk E for an experiment to solve the problem.

Best wishes.

Hi DriftKingHan

Glad to hear that your problem is solved.

You probably know that the usual advice concerning defragmentation is to have at least 15% free space on the drive in order for the defrag to work without problems.

I myself like to have 30-40-50% free space and I practically never encounter problems running a defrag. I have it set to start a defrag at 3% fragmentation if I use the automatic functions - which I almost never do.

Cheers

solbjerg

Thanks for your answer.I understand it now.

I moved the videos to another desktop computer through a LAN.

I have not operate disk D yet, because it is almost full now and there is no more space in the desktop to contain more files.

I just operate disk E for an experiment to solve the problem.

Best wishes.

Hi DriftKingHan

Glad to hear that your problem is solved.

You probably know that the usual advice concerning defragmentation is to have at least 15% free space on the drive in order for the defrag to work without problems.

I myself like to have 30-40-50% free space and I practically never encounter problems running a defrag. I have it set to start a defrag at 3% fragmentation if I use the automatic functions - which I almost never do.

Cheers

solbjerg

Thanks for your suggestion and experience.

And this let me benefit.

Best wishes.:-D

Archived