IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Losing License Key After Reboot

srschacher

Hi.

i just purchased ASC 5 PRO this morning. I manually uninstalled ASC 3.8 and did a fresh reboot. Then I installed ASC 5 and entered my license key.

The "FREE" changes to "PRO." When I click on Manage License, I see the license is activated for a year.

When I shut down and restart, ASC loads and still shows PRO. When I click on Manage License, the popup box shows "FREE." When I close the box, the main screen shows FREE.

I have to reenter my license key again.

Does anybody know why this is happening?

Steve Schacher

Hi Steve!

According to your earlier post you were using a version of ASC4 at the time... not 3.8. Perhaps you had subsequently reverted to Ver 3.8. It doesn't matter though as far as the solution to the problem.

From your earlier post as it is not in your user profile:

I'm running on an HP Pavillion Notebook dv7 3.4Ghz Core Duo CPU with 3Gb of RAM. OS is Windows Vista Home Premium. Browser is IE8.
When you manually uninstalled the earlier version of ASC... did you also delete the program folder before installing ASC5?

Did you use the Copy/Paste function to insert the License code into ASC5 from the Avangate email... (that is the best way to do it)?

If you don't re-open the manage license section does it remain PRO?

Were you prompted to alter some of the settings that are only available for PRO users?

The newest version of ASC is here. If it is newer than the one you installed and you wish to install it... please do a clean install following these guidelines #1 and #2.

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

P.S. There is a vast difference between ASC 3.8 and the newest version! Please be advised that in the Registry fix function items reported as high risk are a high risk of damage to your system if repaired. If you don't know what a high risk item is, then I recommend you untick it or put it in the ignore list(so it doesn't appear on future scans). To do this... use the scan only option.

P.P.S. Also please go through all your settings (viewable by selecting the more button at the top right of the ASC GUI) and make sure you tailor the product to your preference!

P.P.P.S. I see at the time you were running IE8... Do you now have IE9? (it is more secure)

Melvin,

Thanks for your reply. Let me elaborate on my history.

I am using the same HP notebook that you observed.

Yes, I started with ASC 3, then went to 4 but reverted back to 3.8 because the Ignore List and browsing history were being wiped despite values in the ignore list and History being unchecked.

When my license for 3.8 expired, I decided to give 5 a try.

Regarding copy/paste, I did it both ways. Each way, it accepts my license key.

Regarding not opening the Manage License, I tried that too. However, when I go to the Tools section, the orange UPGRADE button is there at the bottom even though the main screen said PRO when it launched. Returning to the main screen shows FREE.

Regarding folders, 5 installs into its own folder, but no, I did not delete 3. I actually let 5 uninstall 3 as a part of the install, but then uninstalled and reinstalled 5.

Regarding the registry fix, I am aware that High means potential damage. I unchecked ALL registry changes before running the other features.

Regarding the latest version, I downloaded the version from the email I received this morning, which I assume is the latest version. I just verified that it is version 5.1.0.196.

I also purchased a refresh of Malware Fighter, and installed that before installing ASC 5.

I am going to try another clean uninstall and reinstall of ASC 5, including deleting any traces of ASC 3 and/or 4.

I'll post back when I'm done.

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve!

Thanks!:smile:

I don't know where that link in your email leads. Is it downloaded from majorgeeks or cnet? Choose another download source to rule it out.

I hope and (think) the clean install will do the trick! Also look in your user documents files for leftover bits (look in all of the individual user document files for an Iobit file) (some of the versions may have been downloaded there). I am curious as to the uninstaller you are using. I know I ask alot of questions... but it is the only way I can advise.

After you have removed as many parts of the previous versions you can... I suggest you do a restart. This might disable any Iobit services that are left without foundation in your system. You should also view your services in task manager to verify that no Iobit services are running after they are all removed.

I believe you have remnants of previous ASC versions on your machine interfering.

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Melvin,

Thanks again for the tips.

I am in the middle of the reinstall.

1. I did another full uninstall using IOBIT Uninstaller, which calls the native uninstall for ASC 5. However, it cannot complete the advanced uninstall because Uninstaller is uninstalled at this point, and the process closes.

2. I deleted all the remnant folders in Program Files. I found old folders for ASC 3, 4, and 5, as well as 360 Security and old GameBoosters. These have all been deleted.

3. I went into Regedit and deleted some IOBIT registry keys for the removed applications.

4. I rebooted.

That's where I am now. I always do a reboot after an install of an application like this.

Regarding the link in the email, it goes to http://www.iobit.com/downloadcenter_php. I purchased the 3-PC license.

I will repost after reinstalling.

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve!

Iobit unistaller doesn't always do the best job of uninstalling Iobit programs and registry entries. The tool Revo uninstaller free utilizing the advanced option (google it by revo group) is very good at removing Iobit products effectively. I will provide the link if you ask. Nevermind... go ahead and use it... Revo uninstaller, the free version will do, it will be at the bottom right side of the GUI my link takes you to. Use the advanced option upon your choice of the software to be uninstalled and check only the bolded remnants it finds afterwards.

Clean as much out as you can and use one of these links to get new ASC. #1

#2 (at major geeks it is in the center of the page).

Then Copy/Paste the license info.

Hope this is the solution!

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Melvin,

Thanks again. A clean uninstall and reinstall seems to have done it.

After installing and rebooting, I entered my license. Then I rebooted again.

The license key was still there.

Then I ran the scans (still canceling ALL registry fixes until later), and rebooted again.

The license key was still there.

Also, thanks for the link to the alternate cleaner. I'll keep it for emergencies.

Steve

Archived