IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Unable to run Setup.exe files

Eriond.

Hi Eriond

Have you recently downloaded security programs, antivirus programs, firewall programs?

It sounds like a setting that doesn't accept .exe files!

A bit more information would be helpful :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

As topic, I am unable to run Setup.exe files which I have downloaded from the Internet. It only happened quite recently, and I have no idea what is causing this. I'm open to any suggestions and solutions.

Thanks.

Hi Eriond

Have you recently downloaded security programs, antivirus programs, firewall programs?

It sounds like a setting that doesn't accept .exe files!

A bit more information would be helpful :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi solbjerg

I found the problem: When I right click on the file, say "ntregopt-setup.exe" and go to Properties, I see a Security section which reads: "This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer." There is also an option to Unblock the file. When I unblocked the file, it runs as per normal. Is there a permanent way to 'Unblock' all such files? Thanks.

Also, on a sidenote: I have always been running SmartDefrag to defrag my system. However, a question just popped into my head: Should I use Advanced SystemCare's Disk Defragment, or SmartDefrag's one? What are the pros and cons of each?

Any feedback will be helpful, thanks!

Hi Eriond

I always download setup files to a folder I have created which I call "Downloaded program files". Before installing I the right click on the file and choose properties and un-block the blocking.

To disable the blocking function in the firewall is not a good idea, I think :-)

I do not think that there is much difference in the SmartDefrag function in the two possibilities, but you are a bit closer to the process and can easier change settings if you use the StandAlone version.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi solbjerg

I found the problem: When I right click on the file, say "ntregopt-setup.exe" and go to Properties, I see a Security section which reads: "This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer." There is also an option to Unblock the file. When I unblocked the file, it runs as per normal. Is there a permanent way to 'Unblock' all such files? Thanks.

Also, on a sidenote: I have always been running SmartDefrag to defrag my system. However, a question just popped into my head: Should I use Advanced SystemCare's Disk Defragment, or SmartDefrag's one? What are the pros and cons of each?

Any feedback will be helpful, thanks!

• 3 months later...

Hi, i also have had this problem and thanks to the info on this thread i have managed to get most .exe files to run but i can still not get the setup file for tomtom home to run would there be any other settings i would need to change?

Many thanks in advance if you can help.

Barhell

Hi barhell

Have you tried to add the program to the exceptions in your firewall?

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi, i also have had this problem and thanks to the info on this thread i have managed to get most .exe files to run but i can still not get the setup file for tomtom home to run would there be any other settings i would need to change?

Many thanks in advance if you can help.

Barhell

Defrag

Hi Eriond-If you're talking about "Disk Defragment" as found under Diagnose System, it's not the same as Smart Defrag,which can be activated as a stand-alone or from the GUI(through Utilities) in ASC. Smart Defrag has the "Optimize",or "file placement" feature which is not found in "Disk Defragment".But I believe the same algorithm is used in both for the "defragmenting".

Hi Eriond,

Additional note to detailer:

If you have the PRO edition, enabling Smart Defragment in options of ASC 3 does the optimization and file placement. Please read the note just below "Enable Smart Defragment" in Disk Defragment section in Options of ASC 3.

Cheers.

Thanks for the reply solbjerg, i have tried allowing the programme in exceptions and even tried disabling my firewall while i tried to run the file still no joy.

Is it possible that there is just something wrong with the downloaded file and i am trying to find a solution that is not there?

Hi barhell

Have you tried to add the program to the exceptions in your firewall?

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi barhell

It's worth a try.

Good luck!

Cheers

solbjerg

Thanks for the reply solbjerg, i have tried allowing the programme in exceptions and even tried disabling my firewall while i tried to run the file still no joy.

Is it possible that there is just something wrong with the downloaded file and i am trying to find a solution that is not there?

Hi barhell

After a restart of the application perhaps :-) ?

Congratulation!

Cheers

solbjerg

I think there must have been an issue with the file as i have just retried and it has worked without changing any settings, thanks for the answers and i'm glad i found this forum as i have alot to learn,

barhell

Archived