IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Deleting Older Restore Points

Hi playwithmycue,

It it a personal preference, but I will tell you what I do.

In time, when I believe my PC is working flawlessly, I close System Restore to delete all restore points, and open it again and create a restore point with my prefered name in Win7, on the other hand XP creates the Restore point automatically under the name System Checkpoint.

Restore points occupy a considerable space in the drive, so you can adjust the size of the all restore points' space allocation.

Personally, sometimes I use CCleaner to get rid of the Restore points I don't want in my PC, in that way I can keep a certain Restore point that I may want to use in the future. (It will not let you to delete the last restore point though.)

I hope this is helpful.

Cheers.

Hi playwithmycue!

That is a relative question depending on your surfing habits, protections, and other behaviours. (As well as the size of your HD)

If your habits lead you to questionable places, with poor protection, and you are lax in maintenance... then more restore points are advisable. If your habits are in the other direction... then less are necessary.

It also depends on whether you have necessary backup and/or system imaging. Do you have redundant backups?? :-)

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

P.S. What you state in your user profile is useless in helping us advise you concerning your protection or restore points... it is too brief!

Hi chas

First I would like to know if you are talking about the ASC Restore centers restore points or some other restore points. What we often think about when talking restore points is usually the Windows System restore points.

The ASC restore center has by default 20 restore point which for me seems a little on the high side I usually set it to 5 restore points (this command is usually ignored by the program and it will continue to show me 20 restore points - must be a little bug in the program) I haven't seen it as important enough for me to report it - sorry.

Some other programs also often have restore points, so one ought to specify what restore points one is talking about.

The Windows System restore points was the one major improvement that XP brought us. Able to save us from the fumbling around we did from time to time. :-)

It is by default set to reserve 12% of the disk to be used for restore points.

This is usually much more than enough - I usually set it to 3% and this gives me 10 system restore points on each of my disks.

My C: drive holds 60 GB but I currently only use around 25 GB and I have calculated that each of my restore point is comprised of approximately 15 MB of data. I have used this setup for much more than 5 years.

But as Melvin says it also depends on your browsing habits and the way you use your computer.

Cheers

solbjerg

Can you tell me if I should delete older restore points, if I have uninstalled my Advanced System Pro and installed Anti Virus, several times.

How many restore dates-points should I safely keep?

Thanks-Chas

Archived