IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Corrupted USB drive after defrag

Grumpa

I recently used SD 2 to defrag an 8GB flash drive and afterwards discovered that about half of the directory structure was damaged. Instead of the English names of the folders, I had a lot of them listed in strange little characters. I don't know if the files were this way or if there was actually damage to the data because when I discovered the prob I removed the drive immediately in the hopes of causing no further damage till I could find out what happened and how to fix it.

I had shut down everything I could that wasn't necessary and even turned off Pagefile during the defrag.

A couple of things of note:

I run 2 separate boot drives and the 1 I did the defrag from occasionally, ( for no discernable reason ) says that the flash drive requires a boot chkdsk. Also by accident I ran SD 2 from the install on the other boot drive, which I didn't think was even possible.

This flash drive had a lot of unreplaceable portable apps for diagnosing and repairing problems on the computers on my LAN.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Grumpa

Your programs and data may well be damaged. Restoring them may not be possible. May I suggest that you try to locate 1 application on the Flash drive and see if it loads. Be sure to do this on a machine that you have complete control of and a Restore Point established.

A word to those who have not read the info about Solid State Drives and defragmenting--NEVER do it! A flash drive is the same generally as its SSD counterpart. The technology is not the same as a conventional HDD either.

Archived