IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Upgrading to Windows 8

dmbaker

Hello all,

I think I've decided to upgrade one of my laptops to Win8 for a couple of reasons and I'm hoping someone here may have the answer before I take the plunge.

First, I bought this machine used and the previous owner has left over stuff on here that I don't want or need. Further, I know this person knows a lot about computers and when their user id showed up on one of my other computers I can't help but think something left behind could be a way to keep an eye on me. I'm a novice user so I don't know how to tell and I'm afraid to buy a new OS someone else could get the key to. I say this because a few months after buying the computer MS reduced it to mimimal use for an invalid key. Fyi, if anyone happens to check out any of the scans I've posted, I bought it from a user on ebay that has since been shut down but the point is I recieved it on 10/28/2011.

Second, when I finish with the download over win7 ultimate how difficult would it be to do a clean install rather than the upgrade? Keeping in mind that I don't have a disc for win7 other than an upgrade disc. I still don't understand the difference between the upgrade discs and the OS discs. All I know is the OS discs are not easy to get anymore. When I bought my new laptop last year with win7 home premium it didn't come with discs. I had to burn recovery discs from the partition its installed on but I wouldn't know how to retrieve the correct files for the OS itself. Personally, I think we should have the choice since the partition was already there when I bought it and takes up more space than it needs...space that I could use but can't change even as administrator.

Thanks for reading, I hope to hear back soon so I can make a decision on which computer I want to put 8 on. I have xp on two of my others so that would be nice if I could upgrade those. I just wanted to check it out first but any suggestions on upgrading over xp rather than win7 would be appreciated as well.

dana

I upgraded to W8. When you install it, there is an option to format then install. That is what I did.

As far as I can tell, you no longer need a previous ver. to install. W8 is not considered an upgrade any longer.

I really like W8 but it took a little getting used to it and it took a while to get all of the settings like I like them.

I bypass Metro completely and run off a W7 like menu (IOBIT has one).

My on-board sound chip was not W8 compatible. All other software and hardware was.

The UAC is a bit different this time around and it is almost impossible to get into Safe Mode anymore (not sure why MS did that).

Overall, I like W8.

• 1 month later...

Hi Dana!

dmbaker Has another thread (this link is to the last page there) that is finished in the Spyware removal section. She has posted here by my advisement and Superdave's so that others may assist.

I have moved her post to its own thread accordingly... as she was overly considerate and didn't open her own.

dmbaker is a knowledgable user.

My apologies for not seeing this post sooner Dana!(3 days):shock:

Thank you MasterBlaster for your sound analysis and appraisal of Win8:wink: I'm glad that you are still around!:grin:

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

its comforting to hear of various win 8 users that do like win 8.

My new pc came with win 8 and detested it - until - I installed Start8 which brought back the Start Button & its traditional interface and features.

Then I also installed Iobit's own Start Menu 8 which is very similar but the pop-up color scheme looks like a throw-back to win 98... but it works.

Yet win 8 still has annoyances - to me anyways - such as Netflix can no longer be played in your internet browser - it must be played in the 'new' Start Screen - giving us a new dumbed-down less-feature-rich Netflix experience...

Yes the new Start Screen, offering users at least one extra step to do their day-to-day mundane tasks... but thankfully the add-ons such as "Start8" and Iobit's Start Menu 8 (and various others) came to the rescue where Microsoft failed us.

I'm well aware more and more people are getting more and more comfortable with Win 8 in its unaltered form (and I understand its actually optimized for touch-screen and tablet use) and good for them... I hope one day I am as comfortable. I do miss the Win7 UI.

All that being said - apparently there is ample evidence that win 8 boots faster, runs faster and more efficiently and runs your software faster including their startup.

If MS finally decides to reinstall a "Windows Classic Version" of Win 8 as an option (ne Start Screen pas) then I will be delighted.

Yet win 8 still has annoyances - to me anyways - such as Netflix can no longer be played in your internet browser - it must be played in the 'new' Start Screen - giving us a new dumbed-down less-feature-rich Netflix experience...

Hi Immaculens,

I am somewhat confused: I near always access Netflix and watch its videos in any of the browsers I use under the Desktop environment (which is mostly where I remain); although I have watched a few movies using the Netflix app under the new Metro Modern Start Screen as well.

Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are saying (it wouldn't be the first time that I've misunderstood someone :shock:) - would you be so kind as to elaborate a little? Thanks.

regards,

Laurence

sure - my pleasure

my experience is that in Chrome - when I go to netflix and click play on a movie - it advises me that I must go to the Windows 8 Netflix App.

I've not been able to watch any movies in Netflix 'in a browser' since getting win 8.

I'm now going to try Firefox though... ;-)

[2 minutes later]: well I get an error code using Firefox - error code: N8156-6023

[2 'hours' later]: I've been troubleshooting the above error code and nothing works.

Chrome says:

"To continue, you'll need the Netflix app for Windows 8.

Available for free in the Windows Store"

and that is what I use.

Firefox is what gives me the error code above. Most blame Silverlight and offer 1 or 2 choices to fix it (namely, delete an "IS" folder).

Oh well! My option remains the Windows 8 "App" in the Start Screen...

I still don't understand the difference between the upgrade discs and the OS discs.
This is clear.

Do you have any of the system discs and if so please post the content of the text written on them.;-)

If you have any of the original system discs the OS may be repaired without wiping out the personal data. Depending on the exact installation of your OS you may not even need the system discs.

Thanks for all the feedback Immaculens and LaurenceJ! I need to remind all that this thread is to aid dmbaker. If you wish to have a discussion about Browsers, Apps, etc. not related to helping solve dmbaker's problem... then open your own thread please. :grin:

Perhaps I placed the thread in the wrong place?? It was posted for help!!

The original post is:

Hello all,

I think I've decided to upgrade one of my laptops to Win8 for a couple of reasons and I'm hoping someone here may have the answer before I take the plunge.

First, I bought this machine used and the previous owner has left over stuff on here that I don't want or need. Further, I know this person knows a lot about computers and when their user id showed up on one of my other computers I can't help but think something left behind could be a way to keep an eye on me. I'm a novice user so I don't know how to tell and I'm afraid to buy a new OS someone else could get the key to. I say this because a few months after buying the computer MS reduced it to mimimal use for an invalid key. Fyi, if anyone happens to check out any of the scans I've posted, I bought it from a user on ebay that has since been shut down but the point is I recieved it on 10/28/2011.

Second, when I finish with the download over win7 ultimate how difficult would it be to do a clean install rather than the upgrade? Keeping in mind that I don't have a disc for win7 other than an upgrade disc. I still don't understand the difference between the upgrade discs and the OS discs. All I know is the OS discs are not easy to get anymore. When I bought my new laptop last year with win7 home premium it didn't come with discs. I had to burn recovery discs from the partition its installed on but I wouldn't know how to retrieve the correct files for the OS itself. Personally, I think we should have the choice since the partition was already there when I bought it and takes up more space than it needs...space that I could use but can't change even as administrator.

Thanks for reading, I hope to hear back soon so I can make a decision on which computer I want to put 8 on. I have xp on two of my others so that would be nice if I could upgrade those. I just wanted to check it out first but any suggestions on upgrading over xp rather than win7 would be appreciated as well.

dana

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

@ Melvin_Deal and dmbaker

My apologies; I didn't mean to derail any flow of helpful information.

@ Immaculens

I've sent you a private message.

regards to all,

Laurence

[EDIT] by Melvin_Deal: Its cool Laurence:) You have done no wrong... feel free to open you own thread!! There is information that I hope I am permitted to share soon that will assist all the members here in assisting dmbaker.

Archived