IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Stinger

solbjerg

Hi

Years ago I used the free McAfee application - the standalone Stinger and out of curiosity I wanted to see how it had evolved

As I remember it had a definition list of viruses of around 1000 items then.

It now has 6148 items in the list and the applications size is now 9.95MB

It still works ok, but did of course not find anything by me.

I have used MSE now for a couple of years.

My brother still uses it as his sole antivirus tool :-) But he is also a very careful guy on the internet and very seldomly contracts a virus - years between the incidents :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi Solbjerg.

This is interesting.

This seems to be only a reflection as you are not making a point?

You had a conversation with him and was curious and looked... then you posted.

I am curious if he looks to you for guidance? Also is he younger or older?

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Hi Melvin

I suppose that I am making the point that if you are careful in how you are using the internet it is possible to avoid a lot of infections even without an onboard antivirus program.

I do not recommend it though for the vast majority of users!!! :-)

The brother in question is my older brother (physicist and programmer) who had just had a virus that removed his ability to use the ctrl+alt+delete function - he forgot to make a note of the culprit's name, but made me aware of the situation in case he inadvertently had spread the virus to me. He hadn't though :-) (in reality it probably was a trojan)

He had removed it using Stinger - and I got curious as to how that application worked today. I hadn't used it myself for almost 15 years :-) ( I may have exaggerated - it may only be about 10 years ago, sorry)

Also he cleans out his cookies and temporary files every day through his Windows settings

Cheers

solbjerg

This is interesting.

This seems to be only a reflection as you are not making a point?

You had a conversation with him and was curious and looked... then you posted.

I am curious if he looks to you for guidance? Also is he younger or older?

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Okay!

Thanks for the clarification Solbjerg!8:)

I suppose that I am making the point that if you are careful in how you are using the internet it is possible to avoid a lot of infections even without an onboard antivirus program.

Aye... most users are unaware how to surf somewhat safely. (keep your wits about you!) :-)

I appreciate you!

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Archived