IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Please make SmartDefrag run as a Windows Service

I love the defragmentation we get from SmartDefrag, but it is not helpful on our production systems, basically only desktop / laptop systems where users log in and stay logged in for a while.

When I install on a production server where everything runs as a service and nobody logs in, IObit SmartDefrag basically never runs because it only starts when a user logs in.

Please consider making it at least an option for users to install it as a service (defaulting to Automatic start) so that the configured drives are defragged even when the server is never logged into. Some of our servers sit around and reboot automatically at a specified time/date for Windows Updates, but never get logged into, but even if I logged in and left the login session running, it would go away on the next Windows Update night when it reboots all by itself.

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Bcontario has a point.

commercial defraggers run as a service, why not smartdefrag?? if Iobit compares smartdefrag vs other defraggers, then this feature is a must !!

And also this will reinforce the iobit argument that smartdefrag could be used also for business ;-)

btw, does iobit staff really reads all our posts??? or we are alone in the dark?

cheers

I agree. This program should be installed as a system service by default.

It should also have the options to show a tray icon when logged on: only when defragmenting, always, or never.

And I do not understand why the settings file was moved to a user specific location instead of keeping it global. Please at least give the option to use a global configuration file located with the program like it used to be, instead of a user specific one. For my uses, this is a deal breaker for me. I will not be able to upgrade to the latest version to include with my distributions until this option is returned.

I don't understand why the option to "run program on startup" even uses the configuration file for this setting. Why not make the setting use the startup registry key directly instead (like every other program made in all of existence does). But this would not even matter if the program would install as a system service.

And last but surely not least. Please, Please, Please, include a silent install switch. Preferably with an option to silently install without the Yahoo toolbar. I am sure many people would absolutely love to include this program in there distributions, but currently workarounds are required to do so. It would increase your credibility a lot if you include a silent install switch with an additional install switch option for installing without the toolbar.

Archived