IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

ASCU 6 Antivirus causes blue screen in Win 7

Hello folks,

I am working on a neighbors PC because ASCU 6 and Norton 360 cause a blue screen in Windows 7.

The machine is an HP Pavilion dv7 Laptop (Pavilion DV7-6169nr to be exact) with an AMD quad-core processor (A6-3400M APU to be exact), 6 GB of memory, and a 465 GB hard disk. When the antivirus from either program is run, they both cause a blue screen.

Initially, laptop was running slow for no apparent reason. I tried running Norton antivirus, and it blew up, generating a blue screen (exact cause not recorded by me....dumb, I know). I removed Norton and the blue screen appeared again during the removal process. Machine ran less slow after reboot, but still not as fast as it should (personal opinion).

So I installed ASCU 6 in the 30 day trial mode, planning to have the owner purchase same. Running the Antivirus caused a blue screen (error 50).

Rebooted with UBCD 5.1.1, planning to remove/recreate/reformat partition C:. Partition Manger within UBCD would started but only got to a blank command, waiting for a command, but no command entered would register.

Rebooted and ran ASCU Malware scan, allowing it to fix any errors it found. Rebooted and ran ASCU 6 antivirus. Blue screen with error 50 resulted.

Ran memory/Hard disk drive/CPU diagnostics. No problem found.

Folks, I've got 25 years of PC support under my belt, but I'm buffaloed about how to fix this one. I'm not afraid to go into the registry, but have no idea even where to start looking. HELP!!!! Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks for any help/ideas!!

Ken

P.S. - I believe, after much work, and a failed attempt to load a Microsoft Developer Tool, ASCU 6 was finally able to detect it. Hopefully, it will also clean it off of the machine (the ASCU 6 Antivirus is still running at this time.......that, in itself is an improvement). Turns out it was the Trojan:Win32/Popureb.E that came out in 2011. At least that's what it's been identified as. Hopefully, it's ** NOT ** a new variant that can't be cleaned at this time.

@Ken

Hi Ken,mate!...and a hearty welcome to the forum for the absolute best software on the market!

I am glad your issues seem to be sorting themselves out.I also stay as far away from any Norton's stuff,even the mention of the word sends me scurrying off! :mrgreen:

-Cowboy

Hi kennygr143, welcome to IObit Forum! :-D

You can try BlueScreenView to find out the reason of the recent BSODs.

At least, it may show the ASCU BSOD, so we can have a look to the screenshot of the BlueScreenView and see if we can identify reason.

In fact, sending a zipped dump file to IObit may help to find out if it is because of the mismatch with Norton.

Cheers.

Current status

Hi,

Bluescreen View will probably come in handy in the future, but, unfortunately, not so much today.

This HP Laptop is no longer booting. After ASCU 6 Virus ran last night, it cleaned the nasty bug out of the MBR, and quarantined another bug that hadn't shown up before. At that point, I shut off the machine and went to bed.

Now, this morning, when the machine tries to boot, even under Safe Mode, it VERY briefly flashes a blue screen (too quickly to register anything but the color, then goes into a reboot sequence.

I fear this version of the bug is one which has multiple 'hidden' components, at least one of which was not found, and it has replicated itself in a more nasty form. Either that or the removal of the original bug destroyed the MBR, and even the Windows 7 (64 bit) Repair CD couldn't recreate the MBR.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ken Green,

Houston, TX

Gave up

Unfortunately, after trying the Norton Bootable Recovery Tool (yet another POS from Sighmanticks [misspelling intentional]), and Boot-Repair-Disc, I gave up and restored the original load (of course the neighbor had never done any backups and I hope to change that).

If anybody has any good ideas for his second machine with the same problem (I think.....but at this point I haven't seen it, merely been told about it), PLEASE feel free to share!

Ken,

Houston, Tx

Hi again kennygr143,

I would suggest to open a thread in Spyware-Malware Removal Help! section and follow the instructions in Guidelines for requesting malware removal assistance thread and wait for Superdave to respond.

In that section only Forum Leaaders and Malware Fighters can reply in your thread, so you will be dealing only with a security expert there.

Cheers.

Will do

Thanks for the suggestion!

I'll do just that as soon as I get the neighbor's other PC over to my house. I'll include the information included in this thread, as well as the information about the configuration of the other machine. Given the neighbor's description of the problem with that machine, I suspect it's the same issue/infection, but I want to verify first.

Infections seem to have come from some music sharing site that his Daughters visited. They have since been banned from using the family PC (any of them) and have been given Ipads to use.

On the positive side, the neighbor has agreed to purchase ASCU 6 for his machines. He feels it is time to start getting protection instead of buying a new machine due to an infection of any 'old' one. Chalk one up for experience.....it's a great, but sometimes harsh instructor!

Ken

Thanks again

Thanks again Enoskype!

I appreciate the recommendation and will be getting the other machine by next Wednesday. As soon as I have a chance to review it's current status I will be posting as you suggest.

Ken

Archived