IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Top Performance (Home User) disables HomeGroup and remote Windows Media Player.

jmward

If you go to System Optimization | Computer Optimization and select Top Performance (Home User), ASC disables a lot of services that are normally set to Manual or Automatic. Among these are the Function Discovery Provider Host service (fdPHost), Function Discovery Resource Publication (FDResPub), IP Helper (iphlpsvc), Peer Networking Grouping (p2psvc), and Peer Networking Identity Manager (p2pimsvc). Disabling these services causes immediate shutdown of HomeGroup, which is notorious for its problems anyway. The HomeGroup Listener and HomeGroup Provider services are both shut down.

The "optimization" also disables WMPNetworkSvc, which means that, after the next boot, accessing music on another networked computer from Windows Media Player no longer works.

The average user who does this will have no idea why HomeGroup and remote Windows Media Player have stopped working, particularly as some of the effect is delayed until the machine is next restarted. They may also have other networking problems.

The worst thing about this is that disabling these services will have almost no impact on system performance. Nearly all of them are set to Manual anyway, so that they do not run unless needed. Only IP Helper and WMPNetworkSvc are set to Automatic, and the latter is Delayed Start.

I understand that Top Performance (Home User) is really supposed to be for gamers, and others should select Daily Use, but that's not obvious - I just naturally selected Top Performance because that seemed best. This option should really be renamed "Gamers Only" or something like that.

But, even for gamers, disabling services which are probably not running anyway makes no sense, as it will not improve the performance of the system. What it will do is make life unexpectedly difficult for those running home networks. It would be sufficient just to set the services to Manual - but then they mostly are anyway.

I am surprised that no-one else seems to have picked up on this; maybe they have, but searching this forum didn't reveal it.

These "optimizations" are pointless and should be removed. They are unnecessary and only likely to cause severe difficulty.

I seem to remember that Turbo Boost causes similar problems, and I have seen other references to it in these forums, but I am just careful not to use it now - if you really expect a button labelled Turbo Boost to transform your computer, you probably deserve everything you get!

Oh, by the way, other than this ASC6 is fine. I have bought it, after all!

Hi jmward,

Sorry for my late reply. :oops:

Regarding the issue you have mentioned, we will keep up to improve our product.

Please follow the steps below to avoid the issue:

Open Advannced SystemCare >> Select "System Optimization" to scan >> Go to the result screen and Add the programs you don't want to disable into ignore list. Then they will not be disableed when you apply other modes of Computer Optimize mode.

Thank you for your patience and understanding. :-)

Archived