IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Defrag Problems

Hi have been using IODefrag 4 a year now with no problems its very good (before I used Diskeeper) but since the last 3 updates it will not run the message is as follows but first I am the administrator its the only account on this PC

Error message : open volume error! you can try to run the application by administrator account

so whats happened how do I correct the problem

using win vista ultimate 64

Hi RobDA

It sounds like you have uninstalled something that was running out of the system tray or something while you did it?

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi have been using IODefrag 4 a year now with no problems its very good (before I used Diskeeper) but since the last 3 updates it will not run the message is as follows but first I am the administrator its the only account on this PC

Error message : open volume error! you can try to run the application by administrator account

Same Problem

Hello

I am having the same problem as RobDA. I have not done anything other than the usual things, surfed internet; read email; used Word, PowerPoint etc. I have been using SmartDefrag for over a year (first defrag programme after clean install of Vista Ultimate 64bit).

Has anyone any ideas why I'm getting this message? More importantly, how can I cure it?

Thanks

Hi wildlines

Unfortunately there was no feedback from Robda, so he probably found the solution, but what I implied in my post was that an uninstall, cleaning and subsequent clean install of the program might cure the problem.

I didn't write it because it has been said innumerable times in the forum, but try that!

Cheers

solbjerg

Hello

I am having the same problem as RobDA. I have not done anything other than the usual things, surfed internet; read email; used Word, PowerPoint etc. I have been using SmartDefrag for over a year (first defrag programme after clean install of Vista Ultimate 64bit).

Has anyone any ideas why I'm getting this message? More importantly, how can I cure it?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Same Problem Here.....

Using Vista x64 Ultimate. Here is what I changed on my computer... I replaced an 8600GTS Nvidia card with a new GTX 260 which of course meant new drivers. The newest drivers was causing random as in one out of 30 reboots to fail due to BSOD. I have an Intel Matrix Raid 5 that was wanting to verify the data after those. I fixed my driver problem but I discovered this one with the defrag program at right about the same time as the change. If you have any similar setup please let me know.

• 3 weeks later...

My Dear, The best solution to such a problem is to use window's "Regedit" and delete all instances of "Smart Defrag" and re-install.You should also delete all instances of "smart defrag" form Window's "prefetch folder" Cheers!!

My Dear, The best solution to such a problem is to use window's "Regedit" and delete all instances of "Smart Defrag" and re-install.You should also delete all instances of "smart defrag" form Window's "prefetch folder" Cheers!!

you can also use reg cleaners :mrgreen: also when you uninstall make sure smart defrag is not running in that box on the bottom right corner. after that delete folder from program files and regclean w/ anything.

OK, Microsoft has tried to put in place what we had in 1980 - and failed. They keep names and rights in a "database" that comes in handy when you want to hack - you can dump all users and their passwords. The "Administrator" is given a unique "key-tag" that anyone can duplicate - except you when the database is inconsistent. That happens when things go wrong - such as a virus tries to install itself with user "Administrator" privileges - and is trapped. This "KeyTag" is plugged into the file system as the "owner" of everything - and loosing it means that some "keyTags" has been modified.:?:

See if you have "ntdsutil" and start our computer as a domain controller, in DC recovery mode (F12 at boot). Here you can "seize" all right and correct the database. If you cannot correct the database - there is no way around. You have to install the OS on another disk. Or install another OS - XP or W2K on your system. Then "seize" the right to all files - and reinstall Vista.

:-P Easy? - The main threat is that someone will soon discover that its 3 times faster to install Linux and migrate to this instead. It is what we have learned as "good US technology". Be happy and smile. I am certain the people in the bombe shelter is still smiling after the software should have delivered the bomb safely through the ventilation shaft 20 years ago. But I guess you have just migrated to Linus or bought a Mac.:lol:

Simple answer: Dump the crap and install Linux.

Hi Knuthf

I do not see the connection to the defragmentation.

Don't you think you should have posted this in the lounge?

Cheers

solbjerg

OK, Microsoft has tried to put in place what we had in 1980 - and failed. They keep names and rights in a "database" that comes in handy when you want to hack - you can dump all users and their passwords. The "Administrator" is given a unique "key-tag" that anyone can duplicate - except you when the database is inconsistent. That happens when things go wrong - such as a virus tries to install itself with user "Administrator" privileges - and is trapped. This "KeyTag" is plugged into the file system as the "owner" of everything - and loosing it means that some "keyTags" has been modified.:?:

See if you have "ntdsutil" and start our computer as a domain controller, in DC recovery mode (F12 at boot). Here you can "seize" all right and correct the database. If you cannot correct the database - there is no way around. You have to install the OS on another disk. Or install another OS - XP or W2K on your system. Then "seize" the right to all files - and reinstall Vista.

:-P Easy? - The main threat is that someone will soon discover that its 3 times faster to install Linux and migrate to this instead. It is what we have learned as "good US technology". Be happy and smile. I am certain the people in the bombe shelter is still smiling after the software should have delivered the bomb safely through the ventilation shaft 20 years ago. But I guess you have just migrated to Linus or bought a Mac.:lol:

Simple answer: Dump the crap and install Linux.

• 1 year later...

Also restore security descriptors

It seems like I refer to the "Security" descriptors that Windows use.

There is no way to restore a NTFS once this is destroyed, and i propose a new product. In W2K, they started with a complex set-up that made sense, and enables MS to claim that they could provide "security". Unfortunately, if the database (local or central - "PDC") gets corrupted you are stuck. You have to regenerate everything. Unusual to me, I have made no attempts to debug the crap, since my consultants advised me (a) to move to Linux and (b) turn off the entire system, just a Microsoft have done in Vista and 7.

When a virus is trapped "installing" itself with a hidden security descriptor, hell is loose. The NTFS is fully intact, you could have read the files, had you just been the new hidden "Administrator" that is partially installed. So, a backup on a USB disk of the security settings, and a utility that just wiped out all descriptors and reloaded them all from scratch (which is done on "install") will allow the data on the computer to be saved. Now you have to install Windows again, to reset all users. ;)

So, no connection to "defragmentation". This is system recovery and restore.

Archived