IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Registry settings that should NEVER be tampered with!!

Tester1

Hi

Advanced WindowsCare is a great product, but I have a few concerns about the registry settings that it alters:

1) NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation

2) NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate

It is agreed that disabling these settings improve performance slightly, but doing so may cause other problems. 1) May cause older 16-bit programs or DOS applications to malfunction. 2) Some programs such as backup software and Remote Storage rely on this feature to be enabled. (source:http://home.comcast.net/~SupportCD/OptimizeXP.html#Advanced)

My other concern is that Advanced WindowsCare enables Windows effects such as the mouse shadow, which actually reduces performance. I also noticed that the menus in my programs looked a bit weird. I done a System Restore and all the problems were “fixed” – that is, to the state they were in BEFORE Advanced WindowsCare was installed!!

I strongly suggest you investigate the above and consider my points VERY CAREFULLY and release an updated version of Advanced WindowsCare that addresses these concerns.

Thank you for reading.

By the way, IObit SmartDefrag is excellent, it REALLY does work!!

As mentioned before a few times in prev threads. You really need to carefully check the results of any registry scan before hitting that repair button. [the problem is knowing what many of them do, hopefully IObit will improve on this once other priorities are out the way].

I have found ASC RC4 wrongly selects reg entries for my HP allinone software so I exclude these from repair. Make sure you always have an image backup of your C drive on a regular basis to fix any problems.

I have found that the IObit deep reg scan is as good as the main top two reg scanners WINASO & Eusing.

Don't assume everyone knows...

Not everyone using this software will know which registry entries are "safe" and "unsafe" to tamper with. It should be up to IObit to ensure that tampering with them will not cause *ANY* problems in the future.

Hi Tester1

Yes it is an important area, where an explanation of the proposed changes would be welcomed.

However if one does not understand or know what the changes do, the prudent course would be to exclude them from the optimizing or place them in the Ignore List.

Maybe the culprit here is the one-click advertisement, which only is almost true after having configured the details.

Cheers

solbjerg

Not everyone using this software will know which registry entries are "safe" and "unsafe" to tamper with. It should be up to IObit to ensure that tampering with them will not cause *ANY* problems in the future.

Yes Tester1

But let me quote Henry David Thoreau:

"Speech is for the convenience of those who are hard of hearing; but there are many fine things which we cannot say if we have to shout."

Cheers

solbjerg

Let's hope the software creators are reading these posts and DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!:!:

Tester1-I have followed your posts, and though many of them are insightful,some border on offensive-it is my opinion that the whole big,bold,blue-faced presentation is way over the top for this forum and the Admin guys that spend a great deal of time trying to help us all-now from what I've read, I'd bet you know your way around an OS better than I do, but superior intellect is not a license for arrogance-you should direct concerns of your nature to Iobit developers(I'd go with basic black aerial) I have had contact with them and they do return my emails-you should rethink your approach, and from that I'm sure you will get the answers you're looking for-So, in the meantime, why not chill out and have a look at my lounge post "unofficial forum rules" maybe you will get a laugh out of it-or at least see yourself "there" as some of us see you "here"

OK...

Hi, apologies for sounding a bit rough. Advanced WindowsCare is a great bit of software and being free, it's very generous of IObit to offer it to the public for download.

I have come across many computers where the user has attempted to “tweak” Windows XP, only to cause problems which are hard to trace. Some problems may not become apparent immediately, until the user tries to install or use something which requires certain registry entries to be set to their default values. Therefore, it's imperative that any registry changes do not cause any unwanted side effects, such as the 2 registry settings I mentioned in my original post.

I also find it bizarre that Advanced WindowsCare enables Visual Effects in Windows XP which were originally turned off. In the Performance Options of Windows XP, the option to “Adjust for best performance” turns off all visual effects.

So again, apologies. I hope people can understand the points I've made without getting the wrong impression.

Cheers :-D

agreed

Tester1-I share your viewpoint and agree completely-I have many times been the victim of OS changes that took me hours to rectify(limited experience factored in) Your apology is graciously accepted because I understand your frustration-try to put some of your valuable experience in a more positive framework-you can be a great asset to this forum :!::!:

Hi Tester1

I like your comments, you have several valid points.

At this point in time I think Iobit is trying hard to get the Official version of ASC3 out, and if that means that we will have to wait a bit for an update that address the points you have brought up, well then - so be it.

I the meantime we must impress upon users that they have to be careful and go through the details carefully and prudently - before clicking repair.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi, apologies for sounding a bit rough. Advanced WindowsCare is a great bit of software and being free, it's very generous of IObit to offer it to the public for download.

I have come across many computers where the user has attempted to “tweak” Windows XP, only to cause problems which are hard to trace. Some problems may not become apparent immediately, until the user tries to install or use something which requires certain registry entries to be set to their default values. Therefore, it's imperative that any registry changes do not cause any unwanted side effects, such as the 2 registry settings I mentioned in my original post.

I also find it bizarre that Advanced WindowsCare enables Visual Effects in Windows XP which were originally turned off. In the Performance Options of Windows XP, the option to “Adjust for best performance” turns off all visual effects.

So again, apologies. I hope people can understand the points I've made without getting the wrong impression.

Cheers :-D

• 2 weeks later...

amen to that, many ppl come to trust a program like this and the results are so numerous. I got 300+ results from the opimization the first time I install v3. I was so surprised to see so many but figured hey its a new edition, maybe they just found a bunch of new fixes... I did check a bunch of the result before hitting the repair button that 1st time but it wasnt enough.....

amen to that, many ppl come to trust a program like this and the results are so numerous. I got 300+ results from the opimization the first time I install v3. I was so surprised to see so many but figured hey its a new edition, maybe they just found a bunch of new fixes...

before asc3 optimizes it does a backup. check it out. also assuming you have the free edition optimization slows down your computer i think. go settings and optimization function youll see it says "slower but more compatible" or something like that. plus i believe the entire point of THIS thread was for the optimization thing.

before asc3 optimizes it does a backup. check it out. also assuming you have the free edition optimization slows down your computer i think. go settings and optimization function youll see it says "slower but more compatible" or something like that. plus i believe the entire point of THIS thread was for the optimization thing.

1st off the subject is "Registry settings the should never be messed with", the opimizer does mess with it. While he touched on a specific thing what I posted was still on subject so stop trying to boost posting points with replys like that. Yes system restore is nice, im my opion should be the last resort possible answer. the problems this causes can destroy hours of time having to peice together your pc from the recovery seing as how it returnes it to factory settings. For some is can take upwards of 5+ hours just reinstalling updates from windos and that just the start of restoring things to the way you had them. which i've had tp do 2x this week and the reason i'm lil upset. I couldnt boot my pc is safe mode or anything. So like this person yes I feel the program shouldnt be put out with settings that could do that kind of damage when others dont. Even tho I love this program, a programmer should know what to touch and what can cause a disaster.

1st off the subject is "Registry settings the should never be messed with", the opimizer does mess with it. While he touched on a specific thing what I posted was still on subject so stop trying to boost posting points with replys like that. Yes system restore is nice, im my opion should be the last resort possible answer. the problems this causes can destroy hours of time having to peice together your pc from the recovery seing as how it returnes it to factory settings. For some is can take upwards of 5+ hours just reinstalling updates from windos and that just the start of restoring things to the way you had them. which i've had tp do 2x this week and the reason i'm lil upset. I couldnt boot my pc is safe mode or anything. So like this person yes I feel the program shouldnt be put out with settings that could do that kind of damage when others dont. Even tho I love this program, a programmer should know what to touch and what can cause a disaster.

why would you want to restore your computer back to when you just installed updates? it creates points regularly.

why would you want to restore your computer back to when you just installed updates? it creates points regularly.

As in all the apps and configuration i had before V3 crapped out my pc, besides just the windows updates. Figuring where your favorites folder was sent to, reinstalling those favorite and/or nessessary apps. Not doing a system restore after finishing updates. (You misunderstood and i coud have chosen better words but i had been up all night)

System recovery leaves you with ALOT of work if your somone whos done a whole lot over time on their pc. Programs like Spybpt S&D has never caused that kind of problem, somthing dont work right use system restore and your done. the settings this version touches doesnt let you do that and thats why i side with the person who started this post.

As in all the apps and configuration i had before V3 crapped out my pc, besides just the windows updates. Figuring where your favorites folder was sent to, reinstalling those favorite and/or nessessary apps. Not doing a system restore after finishing updates. (You misunderstood and i coud have chosen better words but i had been up all night)

System recovery leaves you with ALOT of work if your somone whos done a whole lot over time on their pc. Programs like Spybpt S&D has never caused that kind of problem, somthing dont work right use system restore and your done. the settings this version touches doesnt let you do that and thats why i side with the person who started this post.

i agree. they should put like a warning sign next to optimization. but hey. thats what we're here for. :) system restore restores pretty much only the registry and some other things. mines creates a point every few days automatically.. making me run diskcleaner and having to clear out my restore points

Hi IFP and Immortalknight

Just to round it off I want to say that one should be aware that the optimizing focus very much on resources.

And this probably isn't the primary concern for the average user.

Cheers

solbjerg

i agree. they should put like a warning sign next to optimization. but hey. thats what we're here for. :) system restore restores pretty much only the registry and some other things. mines creates a point every few days automatically.. making me run diskcleaner and having to clear out my restore points

Archived