IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Network optimisation

Dave1949

I have fibre-to-the-cabinet here in the UK for phone and internet, the last part of the line being ordinary wires. It normally runs at around 26 megs, which is not bad. Should the settings be "FIOS" for this in ASC or should I use another setting under network optimisation?

In all honesty i don't use it my internet connection works just fine with out the Iobit boost.

I have used it yes for my DSL connection but it really does not makes that much of a difference.

The thing that made the most difference for me is that microsoft is taking 20% of your internet connection speed for what i have know idea.Most normal users don't know about this.

But there is a away to adjust that.

If you have the professional version of any microsofts windows then there is away to get that 20% back.

In your start menu if you have windows xp go to the run option in run type gpedit.msc this will bring up your group policy management console.Remember this will only work with professional operating systems or later versions.The Normal OS like xp home or what ever will not work.

You can just type gpedit.msc in your start search for windows vista and windows 7.

Now while you have the group policy management console open.

On the left side click and open the Administrative Templates.

Then open network next.

While in network folder click on the folder icon QoS packet Scheduler make sure it turns blue don't click on the + icon just the folder.

Now if done correctly you should be able to see on the right side Limit reservable bandwidth double click.

Band with limit is set to 20% now to get max band width click on the enable option then in the dark gray box where it says Bandwidth limit highlight it and make it 0.

Then click apply and then ok then restart system at next boot up you should see an increase of internet speed.

But remember this will only work for operating systems that are professional version or higher.Will not work for home versions.

Xcom46

Very interesting article.

I have XP Professional, however, following your steps I opened Administrative Templates, but there was no Network option.

I ran a search for QoS packet Scheduler, but nothing was found.

Any idea why this is the case with my system, and if there is another route for me to take.

TIA.

Hi Scannan,

You can do the same thing in System Control tool in Toolbox of ASC.

I will give the detailed route if other users want to follow the same route.

ASC=>click on Toolbox link=>go to Control section=click System Control tool=>IObit System Control window opens=>go to System Settings section=>click Network link=>click Advanced tab=>go to Quality of Service (QoS) Service section=>Uncheck Reserve bandwidth checkbox (Default Bandwidth limit 20%)=>click Apply button=>click OK button

Although it depends to the users' ISPs, in my case, I have always used it unchecked.

Please connect to your router through it's own program or through your browser and check if the ISP needs (uses) QoS or not.

Most of the Routers are reached by 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1 when you type it to the address box of your browser. Most of the default password for routers is admin

You can check it with the manual of the Modem/Router.

Cheers.

Hi sunny,

Please try to use the FIOS if your main connection to the ISP is by fiberoptics even if you have connected to the router by WiFi. The difference is the data transfer speed from the ISP's server to the point of your router.

Today's wireless adapters of laptops and wifi of routers are capable of much higher speeds than to the real connection of ISPs, so they are not the limiting factor of the Internet speeds.

The speed limit of the router is the limiter if you have a very fast line from an ISP (Say 60 Mbps.). In USA, as of today the peak connection speed is less than 50 Mbps. (District of Colombia peak 47.2 Mbps with average 11.3 Mbps. The global leader is south Korea with 14.2 Mbps average speed. Hong Kong has the fastest peak speed at 63.6 megabits per second)

FYI, my very high quality laptop from the beginning of 2000s had a max speed of 11 Mbps with it's WiFi adapter, but my recent laptop has 300 Mbps capability.

Please check your speed by Speedtest connecting to the closest server for different type of connection definitions of ASC and decide which one is better.

Cheers.

Hi sunny,

Please check your speed by Speedtest connecting to the closest server for different type of connection definitions of ASC and decide which one is better.

While using speed test i find that if you use the closest server a lot of times it will give you the wrong info i would connect to some state collage they normally give the correct speed.

The closest server tends to be bogged down.

Hi Xcom46,

It may be your case and that specific server may have problems, but the one closest gives the closest speed to real speed of your Internet connection.

The latency makes a great difference to the real speed of yours and if the closest one is not working as you have described, then the next closest one should be the best to show the nearest speed to your correct Internet connection.

The Ping Time to the test server should me the smallest one to get the near real time speed.

Cheers.

Xcom46

Very interesting article.

I have XP Professional, however, following your steps I opened Administrative Templates, but there was no Network option.

I ran a search for QoS packet Scheduler, but nothing was found.

Any idea why this is the case with my system, and if there is another route for me to take.

TIA.

Hmm did you follow each step.

Should look like these.Most likely you might be using the Standard option down at the bottom tab switch it to extended.

No worries there. I have Realtime protection on both malware and ant-virus, plus ASC Autocare. and regular scheduled scans.

I think it is just a typical MS quirk that there is no network folder.

Anyway, not a problem as the ASC system control does the same job, as Enoskype explained.

Well i guess as long as you do have some kinda scanning protection unlike some people that just don't understand till it's to late.

I normally just role with AVG pro with internet security firewall and malwarebytes.

EDIT: That is exactly the package I use....cheers, Scannan

Archived