IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

XP System won't boot up !!

MikeHH1230

Please Please Please Help !!

I just installed Advanced System Care (I am running XP), and used the Registry Defragmenter. I got a message saying the system had to restart, but when it does, all I get is my wallpaper - no icons, no menu bars, no "Start" - just a blank screen with wallpaper. Everything is gone !!!

How can I rescue my PC ? I'd REALLY appreciate any help, especially as the PC is my work PC, and my boss will kill me if I mess it up !!

Hi Mike-why not just go for a system restore-go to all programs/accessories/system tools/system restore-if that doesn't help,try clicking on my computer/right click on the active drive(usually C) select properties-then the tools tab-select "check now" and check both boxes(auto fix and scan) and then choose start-you will be asked if you wish to perform this task at next boot-choose yes and let her rip-depending on the OS, could take upwards of half an hour-hope you came in early today :razz:

Still only wallpaper !!!

Thanks for the help !!

However, I ran System Restore, and it restored the computer to an earlier date, but the problem persists (only wallpaper - no icons - no menu bars - no "start" - nothing) !!

I also ran the "drive check", and it said no problems found.

Somehow, the Registry Defrag utility changed or deleted something important !!

To compund matters, my system admin. seems to be stumped as well.

Any ideas ???

Thanks !

give this a shot

Mike-if you have the original Win cd-you can try this-boot from cd- while tapping F12-I believe(haven't done this in a while) it's then press any key to continue-you will see a file load(this is a b&w screen)either before or after this you will have a blue screen where you will have to arrow down to choose boot from cd-another screen will ask what you want to do(select "R") this is for the repair console-when asked which to repair,select the active drive(it's usually "1"-but look if yours is different)-after that selection, it will ask for a password-hit enter-at the prompt, type the following- chkdsk /r (space between the k and the/)then hit enter-this whole thing(if I've guided you correctly) will take @ 45 min-don't be concerned if you see progress to 75%, and back down to 54% or so-that's normal-at the conclusion, when prompted, type this- fixboot c: (space between the t and the c)-the letter c assumes that c is your active drive--this command takes only seconds-then at the prompt, type exit, and cross your fingers-if it worked you will boot automatically to Win--sorry if my steps are a little out of whack-it's been awhile-hope you can use another pc along side that one to refer back to the steps I've outlined as the first two or three are fuzzy-if that all goes south,google up "run repair console in Win XP) or your OS-I'll say a prayer

Mike - Is Explorer running? While in Windows, (at your "blank" wallpaper) pull up Task Manager (ctrl-alt-delete), select the Processes tab, and see if explorer.exe is listed. Click on "Image Name" to sort by name.

If explorer is not running, select the Applications tab, click New Task at the bottom, and enter "explorer.exe" and click OK. Does everything come back? If it does, then something is keeping explorer from starting. If explorer is running and things are still blank...I dunno.

Mega Problem!

like the guy that started this post I have loved windows care but the new version killed my pc! Before you say it, yes i did a fresh install after my 1st corruption of xp.... i did a destructive recovery and spent 2 nights reinstalling drivers and everything, installed version 3 and within a few hours BAM! restarted pc and tells me windows cant find c:\windows\system32\config\system...... same problem as i had when windows 1st went down.....

I know my system indide and out, i hadn;t done anything new besides this programs update in weeks. My antivirus is updated daily, spyware got a firewall, im 100% sure that after 2 times this program is to blame....

Please Please Please, find a way to fix this, the new stuff seemed awesome till it killed XP...... I've done so much bragging to my friends about this program and now I pray i'm not too late to save them from my fate....

>>>>At the very least please put the 2.9 version back up fpr download, no site that has the new version seems to have the 2.9 version any more<<<<<<

like the guy that started this post I have loved windows care but the new version killed my pc! Before you say it, yes i did a fresh install after my 1st corruption of xp.... i did a destructive recovery and spent 2 nights reinstalling drivers and everything, installed version 3 and within a few hours BAM! restarted pc and tells me windows cant find c:\windows\system32\config\system...... same problem as i had when windows 1st went down.....

I know my system indide and out, i hadn;t done anything new besides this programs update in weeks. My antivirus is updated daily, spyware got a firewall, im 100% sure that after 2 times this program is to blame....

Please Please Please, find a way to fix this, the new stuff seemed awesome till it killed XP...... I've done so much bragging to my friends about this program and now I pray i'm not too late to save them from my fate....

>>>>At the very least please put the 2.9 version back up fpr download, no site that has the new version seems to have the 2.9 version any more<<<<<<

please make a seperate thread. thanks! also what did you do after installing awc? did you fix anything without making changes?

seperate thread for what? I have the same problem as him? I did what alot of ppl had done and what ive done with revious versions, pushed the one nutton auto and let it do its thing.... the second time i installed after the 1st crash i was more carefull, i checked a bazillion of the changes and saw nothing involing the registry parts the pc had said was corrupted the 1st time. c:windows\system32\config\system that the computer had said was corrupted or missing in the crash

Registry Defragmenter caused XP wont reboot

Hi I have the same problem after clicking registry degragmenter. The computer won't reboot. I tried all methods suggested in this thread such as restoring last configuration, boot in safe mode, etc. nothing works. when boot in safe mode I see a list of .sys files rolling up but stopping at Mup.sys file in Windows/system32/Drivers folder. Then the screen just freezing there. It seems like the save mode tried to boot but cannot go through. Please help!

Hi I have the same problem after clicking registry degragmenter. The computer won't reboot. I tried all methods suggested in this thread such as restoring last configuration, boot in safe mode, etc. nothing works. when boot in safe mode I see a list of .sys files rolling up but stopping at Mup.sys file in Windows/system32/Drivers folder. Then the screen just freezing there. It seems like the save mode tried to boot but cannot go through. Please help!

Man, sorry that happened to you too... Do you have a recovery on your hard drive?

If you do your in the best luck possible in this situation, i tried everything like you.

I even went to the Hp website and found some tricks to try and restore the registry manually enough to let me perform the system restore but not even that worked....

others have said to perform a system recovery and the option bites time wise but at least it gets you your personal files.... have fun with the hours of restoring your pcs windows updates and more.... I didnt, and it happened to me 2x this week.

please fellows - why don't you configure your setting, - especially in the optimize section???

Cheers

solbjerg

Man, sorry that happened to you too... Do you have a recovery on your hard drive?

If you do your in the best luck possible in this situation, i tried everything like you.

I even went to the Hp website and found some tricks to try and restore the registry manually enough to let me perform the system restore but not even that worked....

others have said to perform a system recovery and the option bites time wise but at least it gets you your personal files.... have fun with the hours of restoring your pcs windows updates and more.... I didnt, and it happened to me 2x this week.

Archived