IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

I don't understand some things when I defrag

Polly

In this first picture, I show the disk before and after a defrag:

http://i33.tinypic.com/nzkrd1.jpg

1) I don't understand what the yellow areas are. What is MFT? What causes it?

I notice that most but not all of it disappers in the defrag. Why is some left behind, is part of it different?

2) There are some blue "orphan" dots that never get moved farther in. Why is this?

In this second picture there is an odd green file: http://i36.tinypic.com/280juy9.jpg

3) That green file keeps reappearing far out from the rest of the data. The defrag moves it closer in, but I don't understand what program would want to write that far out in the first place. And it seems to keep moving farther and farther every time it reappears. Any idea what it is or how I can find out its name?

Thanks

Hi Polly

MFT means Master File Table

Please read the whole of this string to gain an understanding of defragmentation.

http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?t=612

Cheers

solbjerg

In this first picture, I show the disk before and after a defrag:

http://i33.tinypic.com/nzkrd1.jpg

1) I don't understand what the yellow areas are. What is MFT? What causes it?

I notice that most but not all of it disappers in the defrag. Why is some left behind, is part of it different?

2) There are some blue "orphan" dots that never get moved farther in. Why is this?

In this second picture there is an odd green file: http://i36.tinypic.com/280juy9.jpg

3) That green file keeps reappearing far out from the rest of the data. The defrag moves it closer in, but I don't understand what program would want to write that far out in the first place. And it seems to keep moving farther and farther every time it reappears. Any idea what it is or how I can find out its name?

Thanks

help us help you

Hi Polly-I think the MFT question was asked and answered(google that up if you want to be bored to tears) as far as the thread,it pretty much covers it all-(perhaps a bit overwhelming, and you're in a hurry?)But lets look at your MFT-it's not so much going away as it's not contiguous(this isn't a big worry)-looks to me that the biggest issue is your C drive-do you have a shot of that after the D&O? Also looks as though your E drive is your bread and butter-so what's on the C drive? Definitley too large for a system restore-not trying to be nosy,just trying to understand why that data is so remote.For now, I would suggest a straight defrag of each drive separately followed by a defrag and Opt.of each drive separately-and see where you stand after that-please post back with your results so we can try to help you through this.You may need to devote some time to this issue now,but once it's straightened out, it will be easy to maintain

?? That thread didn't address any of my questions.

Anyone else around to help me out?

Hi Polly,

The thread solbjerg has pointed out addresses all of your questions if you spare some time to read all the posts and examine the attachments.

fx.,yellow area being MFT and MFT enlargement zone, etc. The left yellow one in second being MFT.

If you would like to know what is what on your GUI, you should try a trial version of Perfect Disk or Ultimate defragmenter.

Cheers.

Hi Polly-I think the MFT question was asked and answered(google that up if you want to be bored to tears) as far as the thread,it pretty much covers it all-(perhaps a bit overwhelming, and you're in a hurry?)But lets look at your MFT-it's not so much going away as it's not contiguous(this isn't a big worry)-looks to me that the biggest issue is your C drive-do you have a shot of that after the D&O? Also looks as though your E drive is your bread and butter-so what's on the C drive? Definitely too large for a system restore-not trying to be nosy,just trying to understand why that data is so remote.For now, I would suggest a straight defrag of each drive separately followed by a defrag and Opt.of each drive separately-and see where you stand after that-please post back with your results so we can try to help you through this.You may need to devote some time to this issue now,but once it's straightened out, it will be easy to maintain

To answer your questions- The C drive has Windows (XP Home) and the program directories. The E drive is my data. I keep as little as possible on C since a) it is a slower drive and b) in the past when my system died there was no way to get anything off of C but I could just plug the E drive into another computer and all my data is retrievable. The system and programs are all reloadable from CDs, so I don't care about their security.

I have no idea why MFT would appear on E.

In terms of "helping me through this", there's really no problem to solve, I just am curious why the "optimize" setting on defrag would leave little blue dots so far out. I guess it just decides it's done optimizing earlier than I would like it to.

I remember years ago using Norton and it would never quit until the last file was brought in close, which granted is probably overkill.

You asked to see the C drive after that run completed http://i38.tinypic.com/jkvlsy.jpg

It has its own split MFT and orphan blue dot, but the far out green file has been brought in. I just wonder what that green file is, since it keeps reappearing farther and farther out. My current best guess is some system program is trying to write "past the last used area" and never gets the word that the optimizer has pulled that frontier in since the last boot.

Archived