IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Server 2003 - major problems with shortcuts and explorer

addypearce

Hi,

I am really really hoping that somebody can help me. I ran Advanced Windows Care Personal v3 for the first time today on our Windows Server 2003 box as we've been having some problems with spyware getting through the antivirus.

I was not familiar with the new interface and was running through all of the main parts. Whilst this was happening I was also running on it on my laptop. When it had finished on the laptop I had no network connectivity though my wireless. I suddenly realised it was still running on the server and so attempted to stop it but it crashed whist running security analyzer.

Now, I have explorer unable to run, the shortcuts for Active Directory and a whole load of other things are broken and the restores of the registry have not fixed it.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Hi,

Thanks for your reply but the wireless issue is not really the problem, that was just something that happened on my laptop which i then fixed with a restore.

The main problem is now with the server which has no system restore because it is not in server 2003. I have tried restoring the registry and running the AWC3 restore but neither worked.

I suspect that as the system crashed whilst it was doing a degrag, I reckon that it was moving a vital registry link and it is now lost!

I'm going to try another registry scanning program as well as some windows repairs.

Hi,

Now, I have explorer unable to run, the shortcuts for Active Directory and a whole load of other things are broken and the restores of the registry have not fixed it.

I suspect that as the system crashed whilst it was doing a degrag, I reckon that it was moving a vital registry link and it is now lost!

PLEASE HELP!!!!

so this is your only problem right? also if you want an alternate free regcleaner, eusing registry cleaner works very well. it finds a bit more problems than asc3 and i havnet heard a complaint yet.

a defrager wouldnt have moved a registry item unless it was a registry defrag

• 1 month later...
Can you tell me what's the problem?

Hi,

Sorry for the slow reply, I've been on holiday.

The problem is that when I ran advanced windows care on our server 2003 machine the program stopped responding. I closed the program (it had stopped responding during a defrag) and then the server 2003 machine had multiple problems. The problems included none of the shortcuts for things like active directory or any of the other admin tools working from the start menu. After restarting the machine there was no start menu, no desktop icons, nothing. Just a blue screen. I can launch task manager but cannot get into active directory or any other admin tools as, even when launching manually from task manager, it comes up with an error that the "class is not registered" for the mmc process.

We are now in a situation where we're going to have to take the whole school offline for a day and attempt a windows repair of the server in the hope that it works.

I have had no help from email support despite the fact I have paid for the full version. I want to take legal action as I have paid for a service which I am not getting and this company is being very unprofessional and childish by just ignoring me via email.

Thank you for responding on this forum though and I look forward to any suggestions you may have.

Hi,

Sorry for the slow reply, I've been on holiday.

The problem is that when I ran advanced windows care on our server 2003 machine the program stopped responding. I closed the program (it had stopped responding during a defrag) and then the server 2003 machine had multiple problems. The problems included none of the shortcuts for things like active directory or any of the other admin tools working from the start menu. After restarting the machine there was no start menu, no desktop icons, nothing. Just a blue screen. I can launch task manager but cannot get into active directory or any other admin tools as, even when launching manually from task manager, it comes up with an error that the "class is not registered" for the mmc process.

We are now in a situation where we're going to have to take the whole school offline for a day and attempt a windows repair of the server in the hope that it works.

I have had no help from email support despite the fact I have paid for the full version. I want to take legal action as I have paid for a service which I am not getting and this company is being very unprofessional and childish by just ignoring me via email.

Thank you for responding on this forum though and I look forward to any suggestions you may have.

by "defrag", you mean the defrag in ASC3 or Smart Defrag? and you said it has no system restore? have you ever tried booting into safe mode?

Hello, I'm not sure what the problem is. You said that your start menu, icons, files are all gone. It could not be cuased by our program. It seems like some malware or virus but not the program that is using by over 10M users.

If you can provide me more info, or screenshots, we will be glad to help you out.

Well, I can see what you're saying....but it must be your program because the server was fine before and then straight after your program crashing it had these problems.

When I had installed the program and ran it for the first time, it started scanning and fixing automatically. I didn't click the care button or do anything apart from launch the program. I know that this is something the program did and wasn't just me accidentally clicking the care button as it did the same thing on my laptop. When I ran it for the first time it just started scanning AND fixing without any interaction from me.

Every box was ticked on both the 'maintain windows' and 'diagnose system' part. The program started by scanning for everything AND THEN FIXING. Once again it did this on two separate machines (the server and my laptop) and it I didn't initiate anything.

Now I didn't stop it because I thought that it was just how version 3 worked, up until now I had been used to version 2 which worked like a dream.

As I explained in my first post, I was running the program on the server and my laptop at the same time. The scan and fix finished on my laptop and I had no network connectivity. I couldn't get the network to reconnect even though everything from Windows was reporting it was ok. I ran a restore of the registry through AWC and the network came back. As the scan and fix was still running on the server I though, oh my god it will knock the network connection off on the server. So I went to the server and tried to stop the process. It was in the middle of the defrag which is under diagnose system. I stopped it and it then carried onto security analyzer. When I tried to stop that it froze and then crashed.

At this point I still had the desktop, start menu, etc. BUT the icon for Active directory didn't work, MMC reported class not registered and there were other problems with applications launching (shortcuts not valid). I rebooted the server and that was when the start menu was not there and all icons had gone.

I would send you a screenshot but every time I try to paste into mspaint the server reports 'error getting clipboard data'.

A screenshot wouldn't really help you though as all it would be is a blue square. The desktop is just blue, there is nothing on it, no icons, not start button, no taskbar, no system tray, no wallpaper, NOTHING.

Hello, I'm not sure what the problem is. You said that your start menu, icons, files are all gone. It could not be cuased by our program. It seems like some malware or virus but not the program that is using by over 10M users.

If you can provide me more info, or screenshots, we will be glad to help you out.

Hi addypearce

Usually at the launching of the program after installing it will start "Maintain Windows" but if you do not click repair it will wait for you to look into the details under "Problems", - after having configured the details you click repair. Then you usually have to click on the button "Diagnose System" - and then again do not click repair before you have configured the details under "Problems". Be especially wary about "System Optimization" and place all you think you do not want to change (optimize) in the ignore list by clicking ignore, if you are not sure about one of the recommendations my advice is to place that too in the ignore list.

Do not use the care button before you have configured it all, when it is all running to your satisfaction, - then by all means use the Care button.

Cheers

solbjerg

Well, I can see what you're saying....but it must be your program because the server was fine before and then straight after your program crashing it had these problems.

When I had installed the program and ran it for the first time, it started scanning and fixing automatically. I didn't click the care button or do anything apart from launch the program. I know that this is something the program did and wasn't just me accidentally clicking the care button as it did the same thing on my laptop. When I ran it for the first time it just started scanning AND fixing without any interaction from me.

Every box was ticked on both the 'maintain windows' and 'diagnose system' part. The program started by scanning for everything AND THEN FIXING. Once again it did this on two separate machines (the server and my laptop) and it I didn't initiate anything.

Now I didn't stop it because I thought that it was just how version 3 worked, up until now I had been used to version 2 which worked like a dream.

As I explained in my first post, I was running the program on the server and my laptop at the same time. The scan and fix finished on my laptop and I had no network connectivity. I couldn't get the network to reconnect even though everything from Windows was reporting it was ok. I ran a restore of the registry through AWC and the network came back. As the scan and fix was still running on the server I though, oh my god it will knock the network connection off on the server. So I went to the server and tried to stop the process. It was in the middle of the defrag which is under diagnose system. I stopped it and it then carried onto security analyzer. When I tried to stop that it froze and then crashed.

At this point I still had the desktop, start menu, etc. BUT the icon for Active directory didn't work, MMC reported class not registered and there were other problems with applications launching (shortcuts not valid). I rebooted the server and that was when the start menu was not there and all icons had gone.

I would send you a screenshot but every time I try to paste into mspaint the server reports 'error getting clipboard data'.

A screenshot wouldn't really help you though as all it would be is a blue square. The desktop is just blue, there is nothing on it, no icons, not start button, no taskbar, no system tray, no wallpaper, NOTHING.

Am I going mad?!?! How on Earth has anything you just said helped me? I am telling you that the program did the diagnose and repair itself. Why would I purposly destroy my own server?!??!! And more to the point why are you telling me how the program normally works.

I DON'T CARE HOW IT IS MEANT TO WORK JUST TELL ME HOW TO SORT IT OUT.

I feel like I'm taking frickin crazy pills. Can any of you READ!!!!!!!!?????????

Hi addypearce

Mad! I don't know - but you sound angry.

Have you tried a Windows restore to a date before this happened?

Be advised that most of us here in the forum are ordinary users trying to help those that for one reason or another experience trouble.

Cheers

solbjerg

Am I going mad?!?! How on Earth has anything you just said helped me? I am telling you that the program did the diagnose and repair itself. Why would I purposly destroy my own server?!??!! And more to the point why are you telling me how the program normally works.

I DON'T CARE HOW IT IS MEANT TO WORK JUST TELL ME HOW TO SORT IT OUT.

I feel like I'm taking frickin crazy pills. Can any of you READ!!!!!!!!?????????

• 2 weeks later...

Same problem

We also have a Dell Server Standard (x86) 2003, had exactly the same issue she described. We restored from the current backup tape. Only ran Advanced System Care. And again when the server rebooted, it would no longer run Explorer.exe. or any *.msc program, some *.cpl's would run. We have loaded a clean machine, with SP1 and SP2, ASC, exibits the same issue in both cases. Have run the software on 2 other system homebuilt, no problem.

So what she said it true. Checked for viruses, Malware. Nothing found. Can anyone tell me were the logs are so we can see what it repaired that may have caused the problem.

Thank you for your help.

Let me add I also had this same issue with and XP Pro (x86)machine, but it was easily fixed, with a SFC /scannow command.

• 2 weeks later...

Same problem also

Hi there I have exactly the same problem. Windows 2003 terminal server which had a spyware problem. Run IObit V3 and after finding spyware which it automaically fixed it went into system care and strated analysing the registry etc and Defraging. It removed what it clain=med to be a large number of used Registry keys without asking me if thats what I wanted and then started to defrag. I eventually had to restart the machine only to fin no desktop. Explorer.exe would run and then stop immediately. No Iexplorer, no programs in Add and remove programs which I tried to acces through MSconfig. I have tried to run a Repair using the window 2003 server cd but the problem is that whem it gets to installing devices, about 3/4 of the way through it justs sits there and goes no further.

My plan is to install another installation of Windpws 2003 server and export the registry. Then boot to the original and import the reg file. If this fails I'm afraid it will have to be Smart Start and a complete fresh build which will take me most of the weekend as the server has 50 plus apps installed.

IObit was recommended to me via a trusted collegue and while it seems to work fine with XP Pro I don't thing I will let it any where near a server again

Hi alan

Did you read the manual or the whole thread "Usage of IObit Products" in the Lounge section before running the program?

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi there I have exactly the same problem. Windows 2003 terminal server which had a spyware problem. Run IObit V3 and after finding spyware which it automaically fixed it went into system care and strated analysing the registry etc and Defraging. It removed what it clain=med to be a large number of used Registry keys without asking me if thats what I wanted and then started to defrag. I eventually had to restart the machine only to fin no desktop. Explorer.exe would run and then stop immediately. No Iexplorer, no programs in Add and remove programs which I tried to acces through MSconfig. I have tried to run a Repair using the window 2003 server cd but the problem is that whem it gets to installing devices, about 3/4 of the way through it justs sits there and goes no further.

My plan is to install another installation of Windpws 2003 server and export the registry. Then boot to the original and import the reg file. If this fails I'm afraid it will have to be Smart Start and a complete fresh build which will take me most of the weekend as the server has 50 plus apps installed.

IObit was recommended to me via a trusted collegue and while it seems to work fine with XP Pro I don't thing I will let it any where near a server again

Hello alan

Did you read the suggestion a bit prior to your own post in this thread about sfc /scannow having solved the problem for that user?

Cheers

solbjerg

I'm sure reading the manual first would have warned me that there could be possible problems, but that is history as I didn't RTFM what I and other people who have suffer the same problem is a meaniful suggestion to resolve the problems we are having

• 1 month later...
Hello alan

Did you read the suggestion a bit prior to your own post in this thread about sfc /scannow having solved the problem for that user?

Cheers

solbjerg

Has anyone found a resolution to this issue? We are having the exact same issue on Windows 2003 Server standard edition.

After a colleague of mine installed and ran ASC, it performed a scan and reported issues. After being prompted, he continued to let ASC resolve the issues. After rebooting the server, we get a blank blue screen with no access to the desktop, taskbar, explorer, etc.

We can bring up the task manager but are limited as to the processes we can start. For example, we can start Microsoft Access, but not Explorer.

We tried running an "SFC /SCANNOW" as suggested above, but the server still boots to a blue screen.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Archived