IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

AWC3 and Smart defrag issue/question

mika7367

If you have Smart Defrag running in the background and once a day you use AWC3 and awc says (x) amount of files fragmented.You then click on repair and away it goes, However, Doesn't this then conflict with Smart Defrag and what it's trying to do.The way I figure it is that you end up with two great programs arguing with each other as to what file belongs where.Am I seriously missing something or what????.:oops::?:

If you have Smart Defrag running in the background and once a day you use AWC3 and awc says (x) amount of files fragmented.You then click on repair and away it goes, However, Doesn't this then conflict with Smart Defrag and what it's trying to do.The way I figure it is that you end up with two great programs arguing with each other as to what file belongs where.Am I seriously missing something or what????.:oops::?:

Hi mika7367,

It doesn't conflict with Smart Defrag, and it defragments the fragmented files only. The programs don't argue with each other, as they use the same algorithm.

Well, if you are enthusiastic enough, you use Smart Defrag and ASC 3, as you have much more options in SD, but agreeing with IFP, I use ASC 3 with defragmentation unhecked.

Cheers.

same here

Agreed- Let ASC take care of your registry and your junk files,etc-when you want a defrag and optimize-use SD, you can access it from the GUI in ASC under the Tuneup tab-some say that over-defragging has adverse effects on your hard drive-I don't know if this is true,but I have a fragment number where I see a little system lag when a lot of programs are running-that's when I break out SD-Forget about all that auto-pilot junk, and take control of your computer!-Will you screw something up?-probably-but it's only software,which means it can be fixed-live a little-play with some stuff,and if you need help,post back-I mean we're practically here 24/7 !!

Hi usgroup

You probably mean ASC, did you let that run a full care operation?

Every time you use files, chances are that you will create fragments.

As far as I know ASC's defragmenter is based on version 1.0, - you can check in the folder, take a look at the properties for defrag.exe there -

They have basicly the same algorithms though.

Take a look at enoskypes string "Thinking about defragmentation".

Cheers

solbjerg

I defragemented all my hard drives with smart defrag (optimized setting) then started AWC and it said 331 of my files are fragmented!!!

Are their algorithms different or am I missing something here!?

Defrag-

Hi usgroup1-Solbjreg is correct-in respect to fragmentation-your number,around three hundred, can be accomplished just by opening a browser with a couple of tabs,checking your email,updating security-daily stuff. Depending on the amount of files and applications you have,that number(300) probably translates into less than 0.15% fragmentation-same with the reg. fix-start clean,do a couple of things,and when you scan again-42 errors! It's just an ongoing process-kinda like kids running in and out of your house-I prefer to wait til the end of the day to clean up the mess-same applies to your pc-it's not necessary to run a utility constantly to try to maintain a level of "perfection"-use it when you need it-I mean,you don't take aspirin if you don't have a headache,right? (well,maybe you do-but that's none of my business)but you get the point-enjoy the utility,I do

Archived