IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

"Fifth.exe"

Iamjoeyc

Howdy all,

First, let me preface my comments and questions with the statement that: “I love IObit products, I use them all, and in the "Pro" versions! However, sadly, I find I must run two other anti-malware programs as well to keep the most common bugs out of my PC.

Today, while doing some PC maintenance; I had the occasion to watch my process list after a fresh boot cycle. I noticed an unfamiliar application appear, and then disappear about a minute later.

The Application was “Fifth.exe.” I did a bit of researching online and found that it was, originally, the port access application for a social networking site from “Bebo Media.” It was founded by Michael and Xochi Birch in January 2005. AOL bought it for $800 million in 2007, and their CEO lost his job over it. The product/program had resold several times before the Birch family bought it back for a mere one million in July 2013, and It has supposedly been offline since Aug 2013.

Finding this out, I was not too worried as I do sometimes open an old email account on AOL. ( my spamholder@aol.com) So, I thought it was just an old app loaded from them. However, with more observation; I noticed that this very sneaky program opened in stealth, making images of numerous files on my PC, and then it transmits the information to some unknown site.

I was not able to disassemble the program to find out exactly what it is collecting or where it was being sent. nevertheless, it is doing so without my permission. I deleted the source files and I should also note that the program doesn’t show in your installed program list. Prior to my removal, the program, without any notice, opened, performed its copying, transmitting, and closing, on each reboot. This behavior begged the question from me; "Why would a legitimate program do this?"

More research finds that the program from Bebo Media, Inc. is most likely a data mining program. They sell the information they recover from our PCs to third parties. Their personal privacy policy states that they do not share any personal information without the owners consent. However, since I did not knowingly download their spyware, nor give them permission to copy files from my computer, how can anyone believe in their integrity?

My question is,"Why is it not found by IObit's Malware Fighter-3 ?" It is understandable that new malware threats need time to discover and added to our threat lists. But, this one is not new! It is supposedly picked up as malware by McAfee, and I am told that the infectious program has been around for more than two years. "Do I need to add a fourth detection program?"

Does IObit check what the other programs have in their threat lists? Even, if the other companies don’t openly share, why can’t IObit buy and run them to see what they are finding that “Malware Fighter” is missing?

I am left wondering what information Bebo Media has stolen from my computer over the last two years that their malware has gone undetected.

I welcome any comments that might reassure me that I am using the right product!

Hi Iamjoeyc,

Welcome to our forum. Sorry for my late reply.

Did you mean that McAfee detected " “Fifth.exe.” as threats but IObit Malware Fighter did not find it? Well, I also searched online and sorry I did not found the related information to show that “Fifth.exe.” is threat.

To look into the issue, please send us the related screenshots of the results of McAfee or tell us the precise name of the threat that McAfee detected but IObit Malware Fighter did not.

You know we are continuing to expand our database to ensure that we can remove the latest threats. We just need more time to be better. :-)

Archived