IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Need to defrag page files

So, long story short, looking for an app, like SmartDefrag, which works really nice for a basic defrag app, and has nice scheduling options and all, but I really need to do a deep page file and system defrag, like at boot, so there are no programs running.....Diskkeeper is an option, but runs @ $50 for these kind of tools.

Anyone know of any options or suggestions?

Kodiak-

Hey detailer, glad to have got your attention, from trolling a bit here, your advice seems sound, mostly....here's more of the deal, not sure exactly whats up with my os, it is xp, sp3, the regular xp defragger when tits up, not sure why, but it's unresponsive to anything, just opens and sits there ignoring me, won't analyze any of my hd's.

Installed the basic diskkeeper v that comes with intel mobo's, it's a free basic v.....simply won't do much, as they want you to buy the retail full v's. the analysis say pretty badly fragmented page files, and analysis from both app's, DK and SD confirm it....my xp os is evidently not handling the situation.

Funny, defragged with SD and it seems to have done a fair job, at first, but then did an analysis after about an hour, and my hd is fragmented, has reverted somehow, not as bad as it was, but the operation SD performed didn't stick, so to speak....HUH? I'm not an IT, but I'm not completely in the dark as far as this os goes....baffled a bit.

Thanks, hey, Kodiak-

Hi kodiaknamaste

Please read the whole post here http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?t=612

The (pagefile) (not so) is usually defragmented automatically every three day in the background.

Checking fragmentation levels with different defragmenters will always render different results, - they are using different parameters.

Cheers

solbjerg

Sorry bad mistake!

Not page file: boot files, startup files and the prefetch files according to layout .ini

So, long story short, looking for an app, like SmartDefrag, which works really nice for a basic defrag app, and has nice scheduling options and all, but I really need to do a deep page file and system defrag, like at boot, so there are no programs running.....Diskkeeper is an option, but runs @ $50 for these kind of tools.

Anyone know of any options or suggestions?

Kodiak-

Hi kodiaknamaste

I made a mistake in my earlier answer - I wrote pagefile but in reality it is boot files, startup files and the prefetch files according to layout .ini that are fixed every three days. Sorry for the bogus information!!

Please try the pagedefragger from Microsoft for defragging the pagefile.

Cheers

solbjerg

No....172, but I didn't really do anything...went online once....this isn't a biggie, still wondering why the page file....??

I've got errands to run, but I'll be back this evening and run a few things, and see if I can make a tracelog of whats going on...

Kodiak-

Archived