IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

IE7, FireFox and Opera.

Ted

Hi, All,

About eight years ago I shelved my trusty Commodore Amiga 1200 and bought a Windows PC. Up until a week or so ago I've been using IE7 as my default browser with no problems except for its extremely slow loading and operation. I did like the fact that it it would save and read archived MHTML files, though.

Following advice from members of this forum I switched to FireFox (3.1 Beta 2) and have been extremely happy with it. Initially it launches in about eight seconds (I have it set to open a blank page) and after that it's much faster. I find it very configurable and have set up my few Bookmarks to show all the time in the Address Bar. The only glitch was its inability to save or read my archived MHTML files, but I installed an Add-On named: "Mozilla Archive Format" which does the job nicely.

I had a look at Opera 9.63 and I find it much faster that FF. It launches and loads in about three seconds and it also creates, saves and reads archived MHTML files without an add-on. However, I haven't worked out how to set up the Bookmarks to my liking, yet and I can't even find where to type in an address, unless it's in the Google Search box. Pity.

Where do you get those

Now that's FUNNY!!-Ted best of luck with Opera-I ran it for @ 2 weeks,nothing I could put my finger on,but just didn't like the feel of it.I thought it was a little unorthodox.Found myself looking around for things that should just "be there".It's still a way better choice than IE.,as you can see here.Happy Holidays

Hi there, detailer,

I thought it was a little unorthodox.

I'm very comfortable with Opera and it's doing everything I want, so far. I just have to work out how to edit the name of my Speed Dial icons so they are the same as the names on the Personal Tool Bar. (See attachment).

It's still a way better choice than IE.,as you can see here.Happy Holidays

Poor old Bill.... It's certainly tough at the top!

Hi there, detailer,

Yes, I'm really rapt with Opera, it's doing everything I ask of it and I find it's so much faster than FireFox.

As I mentioned in a previous post, it will create, save and read archived MHTML files (web-pages saved as a single file) which FireFox won't do without an Add-On. I like Opera's Speed Dial function too, but I cant find out how to relabel its thumbnails to how I want them.

The only slow loading feature is the Help file, but I may be able to download and save that to my HDD at some stage.

Yes, I'm really rapt with Opera, it's doing everything I ask of it and I find it's so much faster than FireFox.

I was able to double my FireFox download speeds with a free program called FireTune which uses FireFox's about.config feature to reprogram it for much faster downloading. I can now download 8MP pages that used to take 8-10 seconds in only 4 seconds using my FireTuned FoxFire browser with Comcast High Speed Internet while it takes takes my Dad's Mac Pro which has dual quad cores the same old 8-10 seconds using the unmodified FireFox browser with Fios to download each of the same 8MP pages.

This is a capture I made recently of a sequence of 5 different downloads each of which was about 8MP as recorded by my Bandwidth Meter Pro..

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr44/Maxxwire_Photos/12-2-085pma.jpg

~Maxx~

Hi, IcyFrostPyro,

The most apt definition of "pwnage" in this case appears to mean that you are the "Top Cat" as far as computer browser speed comparisons are concerned....... Have I got that right?

Hi, Maxxwire,

Very interesting graphs. I had actually tried FireFox's preload fix with a small measure of success. It was actually the slow initial launching that frustrated me, although after IE7s twenty seconds plus to launch anything else was fast. I find Opera is ideal for me.

whered you get that?

Same place as below. My interpretation being that your opinions on the two browsers agreed with the reviews you'd read and also with my findings therefore making you the "owner" of the argument or the "Top Cat"

Same place as below. My interpretation being that your opinions on the two browsers agreed with the reviews you'd read and also with my findings therefore making you the "owner" of the argument or the "Top Cat"

no no no, it goes like this see. if someone says its ownage, hes implying its really really good and that hes right on the arguement but not the top cat... lol im getting confused.

Archived