IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Windows Vista issue

Hi

I installed SmartDefrag on a Windows Vista laptop, some of the user accounts are "Standard" user accounts and one is the "Administrator" account. I've enabled SmartDefrag on Windows startup so it can defrag in the background. Unfortunately, when the "Standard" users log in, Windows comes up with a message about SmartDefrag requiring the administrator password!!

I really like SmartDefrag. I thought I'd let you know about this problem, hopefully it can be fixed in the next release.

One more thing: please make SmartDefrag capable of doing an "offline" defrag to optimise the system files, hibernation file and paging file(s) etc. If it could do this as well, you wouldn't need to pay for a commercial defragmenter.

Thank you for reading 8)

Hi Trader and detailer

I suppose that if it runs for every user and the user uses Defrag&Optimize, then the Optimization will be different for each user, and this could in my opinion easily lead to problems. So I am for that the operation is an administrator privilege.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi Tester1-Agreed,seems silly that defrag needs admin privileges,but that's how it was designed(like Win & Vista defrag)Boot and hives would be a nice touch,but in the meantime,take a look at this for the page files.It's free and super easy to use.

Seems to me as though it would be better if the defrag & optimimize routine were running as a windows service. That way administrative privelages can be granted to the service, and the user would not need to be prompted every time. The system tray application could simply communicate with the windows service for UI commands and reporting.

Archived