IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

defrag too agressive

I'm running Smart Defrag v1.03 on WinXP.

It works well and I will keep on using it, but the auto defrag is very aggressive in starting and then consuming resources.

I have set the options for "pause when resource usage exceeds 20%", but this doesn't seem to work.

I have set the option for "start after 10 minutes idle", but this definitely doesn't work.

Is there anything else I can do ?

I do have long periods when I am not at the keyboard and it could be busy then.

Dave

Hi Doc

I usually do not use the automatic function, but I just tried it.

In order not to wait too long I set it to start at idle 1 minute.

It started quickly and finished after about 5-7 minutes.

The disc usage vacilliated between 0 and up to 97%

The cpu usage reached 15% a couple of times for a short while, but mostly was around 1-2%.

This is just a defragmentation, - I usually run it manually with the setting defrag&optimize about once a week, sometimes only 1 or 2 times a month. And sit and watch it for about 5 minutes, which is how long it usually takes for the operation.

Cheers

solbjerg

I'm running Smart Defrag v1.03 on WinXP.

It works well and I will keep on using it, but the auto defrag is very aggressive in starting and then consuming resources.

I have set the options for "pause when resource usage exceeds 20%", but this doesn't seem to work.

I have set the option for "start after 10 minutes idle", but this definitely doesn't work.

Is there anything else I can do ?

I do have long periods when I am not at the keyboard and it could be busy then.

Dave

I agree that if nothing else is going on, the defrag doesn't seem to consume a lot of resources, but if I have lots of apps open and then switch to another one requiring swapping in (?), the hard drive light stays on for so long with nothing apparently happening that it is frustrating and unacceptable. That's what makes me think the defrag must have grabbed/locked something Windows needs to do the swapping. My paging file is not on C:\ .

I have changed the IObit process's base priority to low and will see if that makes any difference.

Dave

Hi Doc

The defragmentation is moving fragmented files, so I wouldn't run it while I had a lot of other activity on the disc. All activity creates fragmented files, and if it at the same time is trying to defragment, I think this is not very wise.

Cheers

solbjerg

I agree that if nothing else is going on, the defrag doesn't seem to consume a lot of resources, but if I have lots of apps open and then switch to another one requiring swapping in (?), the hard drive light stays on for so long with nothing apparently happening that it is frustrating and unacceptable. That's what makes me think the defrag must have grabbed/locked something Windows needs to do the swapping. My paging file is not on C:\ .

I have changed the IObit process's base priority to low and will see if that makes any difference.

Dave

Defrag

Hey Doc-I'm not a fan of auto features,but one I have used is the "shut down" after defrag.Usually I run my defrag manually and just watch the show(5-7 min.),but I did try that feature to make sure it worked(hard to give advice on things you haven't used)Why not give it a try.Wake up to a "fresh" hard drive with your coffee. :-D

Good advice detailer!!

A safe and content new year to you!!

Cheers

solbjerg

Hey Doc-I'm not a fan of auto features,but one I have used is the "shut down" after defrag.Usually I run my defrag manually and just watch the show(5-7 min.),but I did try that feature to make sure it worked(hard to give advice on things you haven't used)Why not give it a try.Wake up to a "fresh" hard drive with your coffee. :-D

defrag too agressive

OK, I could abandon the auto defrag facility, but isn't it an error that should just be fixed instead ?

My screen saver knows when activity has stopped for 10 minutes, why doesn't the auto process ( a service ?) do the same ?

I was just composing an email in Outlook Express, busily typing away, and auto defrag suddenly fires up.

I agree defragging should be done at quiet times. The algorithm to determine that seems not to work, that's all. Does IObit follow these boards and jump in with "yes, we are fixing that" ?

Dave

Auto-Defrag

Hi Computer Doc-Yes they will jump in from time to time based on the nature of the complaint and how widespread it may be.I can't say for certain if anything here really needs fixing as all of our setups are different.Certainly if one of our other members has some input, I'm sure it's forthcoming.Many times,we(forum volunteers)will try to duplicate the condition on our own PC's before posting a reply.I just don't understand why you would choose to defrag while in session-I mean it's like eating peanuts,throwing the shells on the floor while you're using a broom and a dust pan to clean them up-seems very counterproductive.You already know my take on the "auto-function" junk,but to each his own.So, be patient,as there are some members who have yet to reply.

"Shut down" AND "Schedule"

Is it possible to combine the "Shut down" feature (of Defrag Now) with "Schedule"?

I would love to skip the Auto Defrag feature and schedule SD to defrag every night AND shut down after the defrag--automatically every night.

• 1 year later...
Hi romeroom,

A good suggestion!

You are right that, when you schedule a defrag, check in the checkbox of "Turn off computer after defrag" does not stay when the scheduled defrag starts.

Keep on asking for it .

Cheers.

Any ideas when this will be fixed? I like to schedule run my Spart Defrag at the end of the day, every day, and would like to have it shutdown--every day--after it's done defragmenting.

As a work around, I'm using Windows Taks Scheduler to shut the computer down 30 minutes or so after the Smart Defrag daily scan...hoping that it does not take any more than 30 minutes. Very inconvenient.

I can't imagine IOBIT not fixing this in future releases.

BTW, my other favorite free defrag application has been doing the "shutdown after scheduled defrag" bit for quite a while...I would rather stick with Smart Defrag.

Archived