IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Time

solbjerg

Nycthemeron is the technical term for a date (day+night)

I think that it usually in lay terms is expressed by round the clock (even if this actually usually is two times round) :-) or as simply (calender) date.

The international date format is yyyy mm dd - this is over most of the world often written as dd mm yyyy (United States excepted - where it usually is written mm dd yyyy)

Today is written Friday 9 January 2009 but spoken Friday 9 of January 2009 in most of the world.

Does anyone have another term/word for nycthemeron?

Cheers

solbjerg

hi enoskype

Yeah I know, - just chose the easiest spelling :-)

It is called "døgn" in Danish

Do you have a Turkish term that covers it?

nyctophobia is fear of the dark

Cheers

solbjerg

Nycthemeron or Nychthemeron or Nuchthemeron .

They are the same according to wikipedia though.

Cheers.

Yes that looks right, Dave

Do you know of an expession preferably short, succinct for 24 hours? (like the Danish "døgn") (the o with a stroke is the special Danish character Alt+0248 )

So that I don't have to use hellenologophobia words to express it precisely :-)

Regards

solbjerg

Great googily moogily! Well, it's close.

Hellenologophobia :mrgreen:

The only term that comes to mind is technical/scientific; a mean solar day is exactly 24 hours.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_time

WIki also notes that some other languages do have words for a "full day." Russian is "сутки", Dutch is "etmaal", and the Old English is "dæg", very similar to your Danish "døgn." I wonder which is derived from which?

Thanks Dave

I think the Old English dæg is derived from the old Nordic word dægn which over time has become døgn i Denmark/Norway in Sweden it is dygn.

I'll hum night and day then! :-)

Regards

solbjerg

The only term that comes to mind is technical/scientific; a mean solar day is exactly 24 hours.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_time

WIki also notes that some other languages do have words for a "full day." Russian is "сутки", Dutch is "etmaal", and the Old English is "dæg", very similar to your Danish "døgn." I wonder which is derived from which?

Nycthemeron is the technical term for a date (day+night)

I think that it usually in lay terms is expressed by round the clock (even if this actually usually is two times round) :-) or as simply (calender) date.

The international date format is yyyy mm dd - this is over most of the world often written as dd mm yyyy (United States excepted - where it usually is written mm dd yyyy)

Today is written Friday 9 January 2009 but spoken Friday 9 of January 2009 in most of the world.

Does anyone have another term/word for nycthemeron?

Cheers

solbjerg

This statement is true but another that is also true for example is Friday January 9, 2009. Friday 9 January 2009 we use most commonly in the military. But all in all, these 3 statement are true as you stated.

The same is true in hours. While our analog clock may say 7:30 it is our minds conception is it Day or Night? The digital clock on the other hand will let you know one way or another if it is 7:30 am or 7:30 pm. Then again there is your military time in hours as 0730 hours is 7:30 am and where 1930 hours is 7:30 pm....

After 6 1/2 years in the military they still amaze me on how they can make something so simple as "Time" and make it so dificult... Even my VA appointments still come down to the military time of "Hurry Up and Wait"

Have a Great Day!

The Woodsman

Hi Woodsman

You are right about January ninth 2009, - but mostly used in America, - glad you corrected my oversight. :-)

I had to look up VA (Veteran Affairs, right??)

So you recieve a pension or benefit from them?

Do they make you fetch it yourself, and then bench you in the office waiting for hours?

Time is really a complicated issue, ours is just based on our revolution of the Earth and our trip around the Sun. 24 hours is also arbitrary but I suppose it was chosen because so many numbers divide into it.

Some even speculated that if the expansion of the Universe stopped and it started to contract, would the time then move backward?

Salutations

solbjerg

This statement is true but another that is also true for example is Friday January 9, 2009. Friday 9 January 2009 we use most commonly in the military. But all in all, these 3 statement are true as you stated.

The same is true in hours. While our analog clock may say 7:30 it is our minds conception is it Day or Night? The digital clock on the other hand will let you know one way or another if it is 7:30 am or 7:30 pm. Then again there is your military time in hours as 0730 hours is 7:30 am and where 1930 hours is 7:30 pm....

After 6 1/2 years in the military they still amaze me on how they can make something so simple as "Time" and make it so dificult... Even my VA appointments still come down to the military time of "Hurry Up and Wait"

Have a Great Day!

The Woodsman

Here's my two bits

Hi Woodsman

You are right about January ninth 2009, - but mostly used in America, - glad you corrected my oversight. :-)

I had to look up VA (Veteran Affairs, right??)

So you recieve a pension or benefit from them?

Do they make you fetch it yourself, and then bench you in the office waiting for hours?

Time is really a complicated issue, ours is just based on our revolution of the Earth and our trip around the Sun. 24 hours is also arbitrary but I suppose it was chosen because so many numbers divide into it.

Some even speculated that if the expansion of the Universe stopped and it started to contract, would the time then move backward?

Salutations

solbjerg

Probably medical, they have a good habit of giving a time to show up at a clinic. Course, an amazing amount of people have also been told this. You gotta- Hurry to get there then wait till they see you on, Gov't time, of course.

I had always been taught that day when used in the proper context, is

inclusive of a twenty four hour period.

Hi deville

Yes that's true, but still - if I say the building took 4 days to complete, not many would think that this meant 12 work shifts, right?

On the other hand if it was said in Danish and one used the word "døgn" instead of day (dag) it would imply that they were working round the clock.

Cheers

solbjerg

Probably medical, they have a good habit of giving a time to show up at a clinic. Course, an amazing amount of people have also been told this. You gotta- Hurry to get there then wait till they see you on, Gov't time, of course.

I had always been taught that day when used in the proper context, is

inclusive of a twenty four hour period.

To døgn, or not to døgn

Hey Solbjerg;

Thinking that it is pretty hinky to use constrution time. Came to me the other day. Kay, it was one of those eye bleeding meetings. That døgn would really be great, used in a story type setting. i.e. we were tossed about in the storm for 14 døgn. Or how About (I'm like close to the desert region) Here

in San Antonio- How many døgn we wandered in the wilderness. Guess, my point would be that døgn is more suggestive than precice

Hi deville

Yes that's true, but still - if I say the building took 4 days to complete, not many would think that this meant 12 work shifts, right?

On the other hand if it was said in Danish and one used the word "døgn" instead of day (dag) it would imply that they were working round the clock.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hey deville

Thanks for your response!

Put me in mind of the opening lines in The family Robinson from Switzerland : The storm had been raging for six days (døgn)---

A "døgn" is 24 hours

Cheers

solbjerg

Hey Solbjerg;

Thinking that it is pretty hinky to use constrution time. Came to me the other day. Kay, it was one of those eye bleeding meetings. That døgn would really be great, used in a story type setting. i.e. we were tossed about in the storm for 14 døgn. Or how About (I'm like close to the desert region) Here

in San Antonio- How many døgn we wandered in the wilderness. Guess, my point would be that døgn is more suggestive than precice

Archived