IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Unapproved iTop software creating video files without asking (?)

Atyth

So immediately after the unapproved installation of both iTop VPN and Screen Recorder I found three MP4 files with date- and timestamps in my %TEMP% folder, all 5s long, with the content being the goings on on my desktop. I cannot recall having started a recording in the software and all three files got created immediately after the installation. These iTop programs appear to be malware. Don't install them and uninstall them, should they have been shoved down your throat by IObit! Last time I ever had anything from IObit installed on my computer.

Also, selecting end application from Screen Recorder's tray icon didn't end the corresponding processes, so I had to kill them via task manager before I was able to uninstall this malware. This, coupled with all the other malicious behavior written about in all the other threads here (including the running and silently recording in the background), shows that iTop is up to no good.

One more interesting finding: When starting the iTop Recorder uninstaller, the file iScrInit.exe from the Recorder installation directory is run. Since my AV blocked whatever the file tried to do in that instance, I had to kill said exe before the uninstallation would commence. My guess is iScrInit tries to capture more video or at the very least send user information to iTop servers.

More interesting findings, apparently the IObit downloader itself can be classified as malware (direct connection to iTop, scroll down the page!): https://any.run/report/13accdb0c57aadd1fd21c06381287dcf42c35d536561475841806029387c5786/5f8c32d5-dca4-41f6-9c9c-ca9ebe3248bc

So when will IObit issue an official statement regarding this? Us users deserve an answer!

Hello Atyth,

At present, we are partnered with iTop VPN to help promote its product iTop VPN, which can provide private access to the Internet with military-grade protection.

Almost all IObit products are recommending this app. If you do not want it, please just uncheck the checkbox durng your installtion. By the way, it is guaranteed all IObit  programs is 100% safe.

I have forwarded your concern to our product team and market team. They will consider this kind of marketing activities and make a better balance in future.

For the iTop VPN program issues, please get help from https://www.itopvpn.com/support

Thanks for your understanding. 

I would like to request IOBit stop the practice of installing software, third party or not, without the user's consent. Judging from comments on this forum, there are many who share my concern about this practice:

(1) I've been burned by unrequested secondary software installs before so am pretty observant of primary program installation options. Unless you buried them somewhere hidden from the user, I did not see options to not install the other software products. Suggestions on the forum on how to deal with the software require additional work for me to remove the software after it gets installed. I shouldn't have to do that.

(2) Because names of the added software begin with "i", there's implication they are IOBit products. As far as I understand, this is not true, but not everyone will realize these are third party products.

(3) Other than extra desktop icons, the user has no clue software has been installed, let alone provided information on what it is or how to use it. It adds to the sneaky nature of the whole process. What else got installed of which I'm not aware?

The lack of installation opt-out and software naming convention border on unethical behavior.  Whether free or paid (like mine) IOBit product, I think IOBit needs to stop this practice entirely or at least make opt-out choices much more apparent, and identify who's software it is. It's a matter of trust.

I spend a lot of time and effort trying to keep my computers secure. A Windows program doesn't just add an executable or dll file or two. It buries itself in folders all over the place, creates registry entries, can change system defaults, often grabs file associations for itself, etc.  I need a tool like Uninstaller to remove programs more effectively than Windows' Add/Remove program.

IOBit's decision to automatically install software without the user's permission will encourage me (and others, I suspect) to turn to other developers who don't treat their customers this way. 

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the user above. I have been an Iobit user for a long time. I will cancel my subscription and use other providers if necessary. I have never seen an opt out box for any of the Itop software being automatically installed. I am starting to contemplate a class action solution to this problem. We should not have 3rd party software forced upon us. 

Hello Jeffc1031,

You can see the check ar the fisrt screen when you starts your installtion. Please check it carefully.

Sorry this marketing stragety bring you inconvenience. 

I have forwarded your concern to our product team and market team. They will consider this kind of marketing activities and make a better balance in future.

Hope my explanation is able to assist you. Please feel free to let us know if you have any further questions.

This is shocking and completely unacceptable. I also could not notice any option of NOT installing these two programs. Both programs basically have full access to what is done on the PC, taking videos and screen shots at will. Who knows what is being sent to iTop servers. Insane. Shame on iObit for promoting such apps.

You guys really thought this is acceptable? The opting out should be very, very clear and accessible. Or actually it should be an option to download / install and not a default in which these two apps are installed without clear consent. 

Hi Arn642,

Sorry to hear that.

Here is a screenshot. Users can untick the unwant program during installation. 

2.jpg.b2a9e82f6c398b2b05c519d5e5c92894.jpg

• 1 month later...

Except when I downloaded an update for Iobit Malware Fighter, iTop Screen Recorder installed BEFORE I even opened the MF installer!!!

It literally opened after installing itself before I hit "Open" on the MF download!

That is utterly beyond any "partnership" or "recommendation" and goes straight into "malicious" 

I've been happily using Iobit products for years, but this iTop crap is pushing me to consider other computer cleaning software, because I should not have to open an uninstaller every time I update your products.

• Like 1

Hi Soren Arelia,

Thanks for your feedback.

Please juct uncheck it, if you do not want it.

• 1 month later...

Like Soren Arelia, I just downloaded an update for System Care and hadn't even run it yet, and two pieces of iTop malware installed themselves on my machine and started themselves up. 

THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS.  I deleted/uninstalled as much of it as I could find, and then I nuked every IObit product I had on my laptop.  This company is an unethical purveyor of malware.  DO NOT USE THEIR PRODUCTS.

Hello, I am a user of the pro version and just recommended a friend try your free version to fix an issue he is having. To my surprise he told me that your software installed a screen recorder and a vpn without him noticing, this really is awful and made me feel like crap for recommending a product then having a super sketchy thing like an actively running screen recorder start on a friends PC. The way that your check boxes are in the installer it makes it so they are very hard to notice and this really comes off like a scam. I now have to stop telling people about your products and I will be telling them to avoid them at all costs until you stop installing bloatware and screen recorders of all things.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gross Bloatware,

Sorry for my late reply.

At present, we are partnered with iTop VPN to help promote its product iTop VPN, which can provide private access to the Internet with military-grade protection.

You untick the checkbox for iTOP  VPN if you do not want it when you install IObit Programs. You can find the chexkbox at the left concern of IObit programs' installtion windows.

I have forwarded your concern to our product team and market team. They will consider this kind of marketing activity and make a better balance in the future.

I totally understand your concerns.

Thanks for yur understanding.

• 1 year later...