IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

AWC2 Registry Cleaner

Hi all... newbie as of today...

Running AWC2-Personal 2.4.0.759 with XP SP2 and enjoying the benefits.

However, I have a question: Everytime I run the program, the regristry cleaner function finds lots of problems -- 50 or more even if I run the program everyday - it says it fixes them each time and I do not notice any quirks or performance issues, but just find it odd that so many things need fixing each time... it's like they don't stay fixed... otherwise where do they come from all the time?

Thanks for the great freebie software... if my Social Security check ever goes up, maybe I can get the pro stuff...

:?

Hi fishinginar,

They are the unnecessary registry entries created by your everyday use.

You can put any of them in to the ignore list, if you think necessary.

Go to: http://www.iobit.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=152

From the links by Tim, you can download the latest versions of AWC 2.40 Beta3 . (AWC Personal 2.4.0.763 Beta3, and AWC Pro 2.4.0.863 Beta3.)

It is better to update to a newer version.

Also, AWC Pro has a more comrehensive registry cleaner("RegistryCleaner.exe") in the program.:idea: You can try it.

Hi fishinginar,

Just to add to enoskype's reply, you should know that by uninstalling or installing any new software and deleting files or changing icons or moving things around you can create registry "errors." These aren't necessarily troublesome or fatal registry errors but in time and with build up they can collectively slow down your computer.

Another problem you might also be having, if you don't frequently modify anything on your computer (since 50 is still very high for whatever you could be doing), is that you may have spyware/viruses or some sort of malware on your computer. It could be changing things or even attacking certain programs as some viruses and such are specifically programmed to do so (For example, some specifically attack registry mechanic)

In order to rid your computer of these, I suggest you go to http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/free_security_tools/housecall_free_scan.php# and run Housecall. You should run a full system scan and then remove any malware found. The scan should take about an hour or a bit longer so be patient- if it finds anything it's worth it.

Hi fishinginar,

In order to rid your computer of these, I suggest you go to http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/free_security_tools/housecall_free_scan.php# and run Housecall. You should run a full system scan and then remove any malware found. The scan should take about an hour or a bit longer so be patient- if it finds anything it's worth it.

Good morning, I've just joined this happy group, & was directed here by enoskype (http://www.iobit.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195).

The link above:Do I need to be online when the scan is in operation, or is it download, then scan whenever?

I had a "Pop-up" 2-3 days ago (FREE)/scan/register WinError Fixer 2007 (Whoever they are), telling me that I had 2427 sytem errors +1 ADULT. In order to "Fix" these errors, $39+ should fix my problems...Not trusting Pop-up advisors,I had a word with a friend from "My frappr" who directed me to this site. I have dowloaded the AVC2 & did a full scan. I then cleard up nearly all the problems I had (So I thought), But I am still freezing (Or am I hanging?), either way I am still having problems, Firefox & IE not responding It can take me up to 1hr (as it did this morning) to get any action. It would seem that AVC2 has done nothing for me. I still get the pop-up every so often telling me about my system errors ( I still have them all it seems).

I'm not the sharpest knife in the draw, putting the written word into action. I have no knowledge of comuter jargon at all. What I need, is instruction in the simplest possible terms

Is there any hope for me?

C

Hi cliveanne,

Yes, you do have to be online the whole time to run Trend Housecall. It will ask you to install an active X in your computer to be able to scan it. It will take quite some time (mine took nearly 2 hrs.) but it is well worth it. It found things in mine that I thought I had cleared out a few years ago! It will take you through what to do if you just tell it to scan. There will be a clock that shows you est. time remaining, but it may change as you go along. If it seems to not be doing anything, just let it go. Be sure to have it correct the problems when it is finished.

You didn't say if you had AWC Personal or Pro. The official versions of 2.4 of each are now available if you check for updates. If you have the Pro version, there is a really good Registry Cleaning tool if you click "Tools" at the top and select registry cleaner. It can repair all kinds of registry errors. The first time I ran it, it repaired over 1500 problems and my computer started flying! It is well worth the purchase.

Hope this helps. samr.

Hi cliveanne,

Apart from above advices, please apply one of the following when you are offline.

either:

(1)

1)Right click on Volume C:(Where your Windows is installed.),

2)Select "Properties",

3)Select "Tools" tab,

4)Select "Check Now" button under "Error-Checking",

5)Check both (Checkboxes) under "Check disk options",

6)Click "Start" button,

7)Click "Yes" in the new long window,

8 )Follow instructions and restart.

9)Wait when Windows repairs in the opening phase and then normally starts.

or:

(2)

(click)start=>(click)Run...=>(type)cmd=>(click)OK=>Command Prompt=>(type)chkdsk /R=>(click)Enter=>(type)Y=>(click)Enter=>Restart.

(2)Alternative:

(click)start=>Programs=>Accessories=>(click)Command Prompt=>(type)chkdsk /R=>(click)Enter=>(type)Y=>(click)Enter=>Restart.

Wait for Windows to start normally.(It will take an hour or so.)

Second one will take longer but includes the first one and checks for empty space of the disk also.

WOW that looks serious. I think I had better print off these instructions.

I have the AWC Personal version. What should I do about WinError Fixer 2007? It pops up telling me to register, it will not repair untill I do. I just click "Remind me later" Something must have happened, because the first report from WE stated over 2000 system errors...Now it is down to 1800+

Thank you for you replies. It took me some time to find the thread, as I did not get notification to my e-mail account, sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I'm off to my control page to try & sort out the notification glitch.

Cheers

Hi cliveanne,

There are unscrupulous anti-malware "businesses" out there who will place an innocuous bit of alarming code on your machine in order to direct you to their site so they can sell you third rate repair software. There are even a couple whose pop-up shows an initial name that's different from the actual software or site name. Google shows no hits for "WinError Fixer 2007". The next time it pops ups, go ahead and click through and see if it takes you to a web site. Go as far as you can without actually buying their "solution", and let us know any other software or site names that come up.

Hi cliveanne,

What enoskype is describing is how to have windows check your hard disc for errors and it will try to repair any it finds (he's a pretty sharp guy-helped me find problems several times!). It is a really good idea to do this occassionally (I shoot for every 4-6 months.) These errors can cause crashes and freezes like you described. An easy way to run check disc functions is: double click "My computer"-right click "local disc:(?) (probably say :C) - click "properties" - then "tools". Select (may say error checking-could vary w/os), but should say checks volume for errors-check now. Check both boxes about checking for errors and attempt recovery. Then start. It will tell you that some files are in use and would you like to check next restart? Click yes and restart computer. It will take some time but will exit when it is done. Not a bad idea to defrag afterwards.

Now for question about WinErrorFixer 2007. I am not familiar with it, but my experience with reg cleaners is that every one I tried has caused me problems EXCEPT the one in AWC Pro, so use your own judgment (anyone have advise on this program?). I understand that you can download the current AWC pro without purchasing and run the registry cleaning tool (however, it is well worth purchasing the Pro version!) You just won't be able to run the AWC functions without purchase (is this correct Tim?) If you download it, at top of program window it shows"tools". Select, then select "registry cleaner" and run it. It fixed over 1500 problems in mine and it really took off!

Also from the sound of it-seriously consider running the Trend Housecall!

samr.

Thanks for the interest you have taken. Not being much of a 'puter wizard, I tend to get somewhat worried about hitting keys at times. I shall attempt to follow that posted here, but if push comes to shove, I'll ask my son to take a look in to see what he can do. I have screwed up a 'puter in the past by following instructions, I don't fancy doing it again...Lets say,I get too many "Senior moments".

Before I do anything else, I shall print off this thread, go over it several times, then take the plunge.

Before I go, I downloaded the MSN version of spyware. It found nothing

JustDave Is this of any use?

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a323/cliveanne/Screenshot2.jpg

JustDave Is this of any use?

Maybe. RegNow is essentially a 3rd party billing site which handles the commercial side of software sales for shareware authors and smaller companies. They're generally considered to be on the up and up, but you often don't really know what you're buying, or the identity of the original author/company.

I did find a couple of posts that say WinErrorFixer is a rebranded version of WinFixer, a "rogue" anti-malware program which installs a prompter on you PC until you buy their software. Another post says both WinFixer and WinErrorFixer are variants of the virtumonde trojan.

There are a couple of major anti-spyware vendors who claim to be able to detect and repair this guy. I use one of them, CounterSpy , by SunBelt Software, as my primary anti-spyware app. You can download a full-featured, uncrippled trial at the link above. I can vouch for CounterSpy; I've used it for the past 2 years, and have not had a successful malware attack in that time. I like it so much I actually subscribe to it and pay them money. :-o And I don't work for Sunbelt. :|

Download, install, and run CounterSpy. Update the program and definitions, then do a full system scan.

There's also a 3rd party dedicated remover for virtumonde, but I don't know anything about it. Try CounterSpy first. If that doesn't do it, post back.

Thanks JD. I have used the Trend Secure Housecall, It took about 1.5hrs. All I had was 2 Spyware & 1 Microsoft possible problem. On checking for more updates from Microsoft, it seems I'm up to date.:? I shall take a look at CounterSpy & see what they have to offer. I have not yet acted on the other advice, I'm still waiting for my son to turn up.

I don't think I feel safe using WinErrorFixer (1889 + 1 Adult now) Can it be removed, or is it one of those programs that embed themselves into the PC with possible dire consequences?

I definitely wouldn't buy or use WinErrorFixer. And the nagging adware prompt you're getting is more an annoyance than anything. It does indicate that your PC is susceptible; it'd probably be a good idea to go ahead and install some sort of anti-adware/anti-spyware protection. Counterspy, Spysweeper, and Trend Micro Antispyware are all good choices.

CounterSpy is supposed to be able to remove the obnoxious WinErrorFixer adware "preview" that's on your machine. Have your son check out the Sunbelt site I linked.

Hi JD .

Thanks for the feedback. Trend took it's time but came up with not a lot, as I have already stated.

Here'a list of programs I have to keep me clean.

Ad-Aware SE Personal,

AVG Free (This came pre-installed on my new mcahine)

XP-Tuner Pro,

Spybot-Search & Destroy,

SpywareBlaster,

Windows-KB 890830-v1.29 (Took an age...Found nothing)

CounterSpy,

Not to forget AVC V2.

I have run them all & they all come out with not a lot.

Could it be that WinError Fixer could be creating my problems, & will continue to hassle me until I pay up? It is looking that way to me (I now have 2085 system errors + 1 Adult, as found by WF)

Phooey. I'd hoped CounterSpy would take care of it.

Well...as I mentioned earlier, I found a couple of references saying that WinErrorFixer is just a tweaked WinFixer, which is a variant of the virtumonde adware "worm". I also found a stand-alone tool (VundoFix.exe) which is supposed to remove this type of adware. You can get it at GeeksToGo...

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/How-to-remove-Winfixer-Virtumonde-Msevents-Trojan-vundo-ATLDistrib-t91765.html&st=0&p=523663entry523663

I downloaded VundoFix.exe and scanned it with both ZoneAlarm (Kaspersky anti-virus) and Trend Micro Office scan, and it came up clean. I ran it, and again, no issues. It seems to be a legit program. I'd try that before I'd give in to extortion.

Well. The WinErrorFixer folk may not be as bad as some of the others after all. I was talking with a friend today about adware stuff, and he mentioned that he had tried WinErrorFixer and couldn't uninstall it either. He emailed their tech support and they referred him to a cleaner app on their web site.

http://winerrorfixer.com/service/cleaner.exe

Hopefully, that'll take care of it.

Well. The WinErrorFixer folk may not be as bad as some of the others after all. I was talking with a friend today about adware stuff, and he mentioned that he had tried WinErrorFixer and couldn't uninstall it either. He emailed their tech support and they referred him to a cleaner app on their web site.

Comuter cleaned! To fix

http://winerrorfixer.com/service/cleaner.exe

Hopefully, that'll take care of it.

Clicked this one & saved to desktop, despite the fact that save was greyed out. I clicked the icon & I got the message " Computer cleaned!To fix errors try WinErrorFixer!" There is a large OK bar at the top. A little later, the reminder popped up :|

I have looked at

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/How-t...3entry523663

There is a line I did not like the look of This is a self-help guide. Use at your own risk.That to me is like telling someone with Acrophobia to take a Bungy jump. I think before I go there, I'll wait for my son to turn up.

Thank you for your interest, I just wish I had the confidence of someone half my age :oops:

Cheers.

I've been there. I know how frustrating it is.

On the off chance we missed the simple answer, if you go into add/remove programs do you see anything that looks like WinErrorFixer? It'd be silly if it were this easy, wouldn't it?

If there's nothing there, you might want to go ahead and try VundoFix at GeeksToGo above. If you're worried about it deleteing the wrong files, create a restore point first; that way you can always get back to exactly where you were when you created the restore point.

It's Gone

I've been there. I know how frustrating it is.

On the off chance we missed the simple answer, if you go into add/remove programs do you see anything that looks like WinErrorFixer? It'd be silly if it were this easy, wouldn't it?

If there's nothing there, you might want to go ahead and try VundoFix at GeeksToGo above. If you're worried about it deleteing the wrong files, create a restore point first; that way you can always get back to exactly where you were when you created the restore point.

:oops: Egg on face. Had thought about add/remove a little while ago, but I didn't think it would be that easy. All I have to do now is try & stop all the freezing (or is it hanging?). I tend to get XXX not responding, XXX being Firefox/IE/other programs. I was getting concerned with WinFix, being a pop-up, & reading about various scams. It was the way it kept reminding me to register (Pay up) before I could do anything. In my view, no way to do business.

Thanks for sticking with me :smile:

:oops: Egg on face.

Heh. Same here. :-P

But I'm glad that took care of it. It's funny how our assumptions limit us, isn't it?

Now might be a good time to take another look at enoskype's notes on checking your hard drives. A drefrag afterwards couldn't hurt either. When/how often do the freezes occur?

Heh. Same here. :-P

But I'm glad that took care of it. It's funny how our assumptions limit us, isn't it?

Now might be a good time to take another look at enoskype's notes on checking your hard drives. A drefrag afterwards couldn't hurt either. When/how often do the freezes occur?

Freezes happen quite often. Smetimes for a few seconds, sometimes for several. And this is on a daily basis. Is there a difference between a freeze & program not responding? Often happens on Firefox, also Internet Explorer. I used to get a lot of "Not responding" on some photo' programs, but that seems to have sorted itself out.

My wife plays various card games on the PC but not online. Last night, she said that it took an age to start. I can only assume this was another freeze session.

I'll take a look at the notes, & hope to understand them.

Open Task Manager and leave it open while you're working. Once you have it open, click on the CPU column to sort by CPU usage. When a freeze occurs, see if a particular process moves to the top of the list and shows high (80-100%) CPU usage.

Open Task Manager and leave it open while you're working. Once you have it open, click on the CPU column to sort by CPU usage. When a freeze occurs, see if a particular process moves to the top of the list and shows high (80-100%) CPU usage.

Not the CPU that you were after

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a323/cliveanne/screenmanager.jpg

But I thought you might find this storm intereting. I had to kill the PC at the mains earlier. I Know...Not the best move to make, but after 10 min's of inactivity with several windows of the screen manager showing, all of which had stopped working...I had no option but to switch off.

I had been working (On a picture), & in the proccess of sending it. This came up, I thought it would make a bigger impact. The wrong thing to do???

Archived