IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Macrium Reflect

garybear

I just used Macrium to get my Pc back and running great. It was a piece of cake. Its freeware and works great. If any one wants to know what I did, I will tell you what I did. Its pretty easy to get a new HDD up and running just like nothing ever happened. Im a happy camper, and willing to share my little bit of knowledge. Macrium made this task of a dead HDD very easy.Live well my friends.[garybear]PS A special thanks to my friend Ted, and a great big hug.

Hi there, Gary

Glad it all worked out okay for you. As I mentioned previously, I've been making weekly images and storing two for future use, but I've never had to use any of them, so it's great to know that someone we all know has actually performed a restoration successfully with this programme. Well done!

There may be others here who would like to know the steps you took to achieve this, so I would say yes, please describe your method.

Need Your Help

Its looks like I shot off my big mouth again, and commented my self to explain a recovery with Macrium. I need your help Mr. Ted. If you could post those 4 steps you sent me in your email, about building a rescue disk, and using it to restore your back ups, then I will add my two cents. I would do that, but that seems to be the only thing I lost in my restoration; a few emails. I had yours saved some where, but I can't find it. I just removed my dead C drive, put a new one in its place, plugged in my USB, where I had saved an image of my C drive. Put in my liniox rescue disk, powered down, and back up, waited for my PC to boot up on the rescue disk, and followed the wizards instructions. Its very important to have a image of your C drive saved on a external drive; like a USB. When your C drive dies, you will have to put your OS back on a new drive. Your OS is on your C drive in most cases. If you don't want to start over from scratch, this will put you back in business in just a few minutes. Its like cloning your C drive, but with a little more work. You will have your OS back on a new drive in a very short time. I'm a very happy camper with Macrium. I know I am not very good explaining things and welcome any feed back or help from all forum members. If you could help me Mr. Ted, I would be very grateful. I also will try to answer any one who has questions. I have learned a ton on this forum, and I hope I can give a little info back. Live well my friends, [garybear]

Hi there, Gary,

Your summing up sounds bang on to me. The attachment is a shot from the Macrium Reflect forum.

1. Install Reflect.

2. Create a boot disk from inside Reflect.

3. Attach External USB drive.

4. Create backup image of C:\ with the destination in a folder on the Ext. USB drive.

5. Boot with the boot disk and make sure you can see the image file on the Ext. USB drive.

6. Shut down and replace HDD.

7. Boot with boot disk and restore the image from the ext drive to the new C:\ drive.

8. Reboot without the boot disk when told after the restoration is complete.

http://www.macrium.com/blog/2008/03/25/HowToCreateADiskImageWithMacriumReflect.aspx

http://www.macrium.com/blog/2008/06/21/HowToRecoverYourPCUsingTheLinuxRescueCDPartI.aspx

http://www.macrium.com/blog/2008/06/30/HowToRecoverYourPCUsingTheLinuxRescueCDPartII.aspx

Thanks Ted

Thanks Ted. Thats exactly what I wanted. You done well my friend.Live well.[garybear]PS My old PC has never been better. I think that my 40GB was sick, and the new 400GB was a lemon, but all seems well for now, and you know how that goes. One day your the wind shield, next day your the bug.(lol)[garybear]

• 4 weeks later...

Macrium

Four easy steps and you have a exact image of your drive. 1st choose the drive to image. I choose C: Next choose your destination. I choose E: Click next and wait. Macrium will copy your chosen drive in a few minutes. You can do this all from Windows Explorer. How much easier do you want it? I f there is any interest shown, I will show you just how easy it is to restore this image.Live well my friends. [garybear]

Thank you

Hi Dave. Yes I have came along way, thanks to people like your self. I have learned a ton on this forum and I'm very grateful to every one . I hope that one day I can give back to others what I have learned from so many on the forum. Live well my friend. [garybear]

• 4 months later...
the steps for putting a recovery

are they boot from boot disk, do you then get a prompt on boot up to click or insert on the drive/image to restore.

Hi sunny. I'm not with you on this. You need to use the rescue disk to boot up if you are trying to restore your image to your C drive or a new HD. The liniux rescue will guide you. Have you made a rescue disk yet. I will be able to help you better on email with screen prints.

Hi, Sunny, ( Excuse me for pushing my way in here, Gary ).

Glad to hear you're giving Macrium Reflect a go, I'm sure you won't be sorry. I introduced Gary to this programme, but he's done all the practical work and left me far behind. He's not afraid to experiment, whereas I'm far too cautious. I don't really want scheduled or incremental backups so the free version suits me nicely and they have an excellent support service and forum. I have asked questions on the forum and also Emailed the support team and always received very prompt attention.

Refer back to my first post on this thread to find everything you need.

Hi, Sunny, ( Excuse me for pushing my way in here, Gary ).

Glad to hear you're giving Macrium Reflect a go, I'm sure you won't be sorry. I introduced Gary to this programme, but he's done all the practical work and left me far behind. He's not afraid to experiment, whereas I'm far too cautious. I don't really want scheduled or incremental backups so the free version suits me nicely and they have an excellent support service and forum. I have asked questions on the forum and also Emailed the support team and always received very prompt attention.

Refer back to my first post on this thread to find everything you need.

Hi Ted .You push your way into any thing I do my friend . You are always welcome. Thanks for your kind words and your post. I told sunny that you were the one that got me started on the program. I'm sure he won't have any problems but we both can help if he does. Thank you my friend live well.{Gary}

Archived