IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

ASC Pro conflict with AVG anti-virus?

Since there's no anti-virus function show in ASC, I downloaded the AVG anti-virus program to handle that chore. For some reason, when I try to update the program, the update fials and shows that I'm not allowed to do so. Is this a conflict with ASC Pro? If so, is there a way to turn it off temporarily without uninstalling and reinstalling?

tw61-What kind of message are you receiving when you attempt an update? Do you have Admin. privileges? Is there a firewall(other than Windows)? I can think of no reason ASC would block an update attempt by any utility.Do you have any other programs that you can attempt to update manually? Were you running with no anti-virus or malware protection prior to installing ASC? If so,you might want to download a scanner to check for infections. Try SuperAntispyware from here ,or my favorite,Malwarebytes here .Go with the free version of either one or both-install,update,and choose full scan.--Just found this relevant to AVG updater.

Hi teckwreck61,

I ran across this a while back with AVG. This is from AVG FAQ:

1565:

AVG update issue - Invalid update control CTF file

If you receive the "Invalid update control CTF file" message during AVG update, most probably the update control files are corrupted. In this case it is necessary to delete these files. During a next attempt to update AVG, new control files should be downloaded and update process should be completed without any difficulties. Please kindly follow these steps to delete mentioned control files:

• Run the AVG user interface (double-click the AVG 8.5 icon on your desktop).
  • Open the Tools -> Advanced Settings... menu.
  • Navigate to the Manage option in the Update branch.
  • Press the Delete temporary update files button.
  • Try to update AVG.

If the issue persists, then please follow steps below:

Your Internet settings are not correct

Even if your Internet connection is working correctly, incorrect DNS servers may be filled in, affecting AVG update. This can be caused e.g. by some virus that was previously on your computer.

• Open menu Start -> (Settings) -> Control Panel.
  • Double-click on Network connections.
  • Right-click on the connection you are using and choose Properties.
  • Double-click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) item on the General tab.
  • Please check (and modify if necessary) the settings of IP address and DNS servers according to your Internet Provider settings or choose the Obtain * * DNS server address automatically option.
  • Confirm the settings by clicking on the OK button.
  • Close the window.

If the issue persists even after performing the steps above, please contact us using the Get Help Online option in AVG Help menu.

Archived